Notices

Cleaning (yes, literal cleaning)

Old 02-12-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cleaning (yes, literal cleaning)

I need some help and some advice and I wondered if someone might be able to get me started in the right direction.

This is a REALLY embarrassing thing for me to have to ask. In fact, I am actually crying as I sit here to ask this because I am THAT embarrassed. I have tried talking to two people in my life about this issue, and they were utterly and completely baffled. They simply did not get it.

I do not know if other alcoholics might possibly relate to this, but I thought I could at least come here and put this out there without being laughed at (I know you guys are a safe and welcoming place, and I can't tell you how much that means to me).

Okay, here it is:

I do not know how to clean.

Yes, physical, literal cleaning -- like keeping a household. I grew up in a very dysfunctional situation that almost bordered on hoarders. Nothing was ever cleaned or put away and I had no chores, no responsibilities, and no consequences if I did not do them.

Every kid's dream, right? Some might think that, but they'd be incorrect. I'm not sure how much of this is my alcoholism and how much of it is my childhood, but I essentially came to be almost 40 years old and I don't know how to manage a household.

I feel like an IDIOT for even having to ask this. It actually makes me feel like I am deeply flawed and deeply impaired. But I cannot wrap my mind around the simple steps that are required to keep my house clean.

I always thought if I ever sobered up my house would miraculously start looking spotless. This has not been the case (although it certainly looks better than it used to).

Here is how bad this mental defect of mine is. I actually spent some time Googling articles about cleaning and housekeeping. It had a check list of chores that should be done every day, a list that should be done once a week, and a list that should be done once a month.

This was STUNNING to me. As freaking stupid as this is going to sound, I did not realize there was an order to cleaning or a method to it. It stunned me that dishes are something that need to be done DAILY (I usually do them weekly -- the results are about what you'd expect) and that vacuuming is something that only needs to be done weekly.

I don't know how I can get to be this old and not know something like that, but it is the truth. I know this will probably sound baffling to most of you, but I really do need some basic advice (or links to articles) that could help me learn how to clean.

Should I make a list of tasks to complete daily? Should I form a routine where I clean for X amount of time in the evenings? How long do I need to devote to this? I really am not trying to sound like a moron; think of this as though you were training your small child how to clean and manage a household. That's the level of help I'm needing here.

I imagine I'm not the only person on earth who has this problem. There are a lot of people who have messy houses -- most of them would probably prefer their houses were spotless, or at least presentable. You see programs on TV addressing hoarders, but you never see anything addressing that "middle ground," for people who can't seem to keep their clothes put away or their dishes cleaned, or their tables free from clutter.

I know I'm rambling, but it's just so horrifying for me to ask for help with this. I really feel like I need a basic outline for housekeeping.

EDIT: People often assume cleaning is so simple that anyone who is not doing it is merely lazy (I'm sure that's a factor as well). But there really are those of us out there -- at least, there's me -- who look around at our mess and don't know where to start. Like really and truly don't know how to do it. People think cleaning and housekeeping is instinctive and that, "Duh, dishes are dirty. Just wash them." But it's like my mind won't connect which task to do first or how often it needs to be done. Even putting away clothes is difficult for me. I usually just dump them on a chair.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Could you hire someone to do it for you?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if you can afford a cleaning service, go for it.

If not, could you start by making one small effort - i.e - commit to washing your dishes daily; then after a week or two, add throwing dirty laundry in baskets, daily?

Start out small; add tasks once you have become comfortable.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love this honest post! I grew up in a pretty "relaxed" atmosphere and I've had to grow in to my own about cleaning. I did end up marrying someone with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and cleaning/neatness was his "thing" so during that 20 years I was able to learn a lot. Now that I'm on my own, I'm a lot more relaxed. I don't make a list necessarily but tackle a "project" at a time or a "room" at a time works for me. I don't do the whole place at once but rather as it makes me nuts. I also bought a great book called "Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House" by Cheryl Mendelson. I found it helpful as I was pretty clueless
Old 02-12-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Could you hire someone to do it for you?
Unfortunately not.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I suggest tackling a room at a time, get rid of all the stuff that is junk or can be recycled

Then its a case of rearranging, scrubbing down with cleaning product hoovering dusting. etc

you then could think about cleaning windows and maybe give the walls a new coat of paint
Old 02-12-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, just make a list and start. There don't have to be fixed rules about it, so just do a few things each day.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the same goes for people who grew up with maids.

I agree with the advice already posted. Just start with one or two things at a time. Google is your best buddy here. Simply google the task at hand and research it to find the most effective and efficient way to "git er done" as they say. But start low and go slow as not to get overwhelmed.

You can do this! Before you know it you will be a housekeeping ninja!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Start with either a room or a task. Maybe focus on
Washing the dishes (1 -2 times a day) and putting them away
Picking up your dirty cloths every day

Something like that

Or start with kitchen then move to bedroom.

How big is your house? How many rooms and how cluttered is it?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey N&D yes I can relate. I too grew up in a dysfunctional and insane situation. There was never any normal routine around meals or anything let alone a tidy house. I'm not attributing blame but I was never cool with it. I always tried to keep my own little patch tidy, do up my room wash and iron my own clothes etc but anytime I would have my little space organized it would be trashed on me and probably our of spite for some reason. Clothes going missing, money stolen, my electronics damaged so it was quite disheartening.

I left home at 17 unable to boil an egg with not a clue about that stuff. And while I've learned a lot and have always strived to live a 'normal' life, I spent my 20's living alone and became depressed- I gave in to whats already ingrained I guess. Many times I have made the effort for a while but then I realize- its always still on someone else's term so whats the point. I'm 30 now, I don't know how to live day to day, theres more to it than laziness. I was even trying to become institutionalized when I was drinking just for the routine aspect, hory sheet…

Anyways, to cut the long story short- you're not alone in that.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We had to clean as kids. We did more cleaning then my mother and father combined.

I don’t mind cleaning except for dusting, hate it for some reason so I bought a Swiffer duster thingy, It works pretty well.

I make a list but you can also do the “pick out of the jar” idea that my mother used. I think she felt it made it fair so nothing was assigned to my brother or I. It was luck of the draw. She never picked though. She sat and watched us clean and my father inspected but that is anther thread.

Write down the things that need done. Wash dishes. Wash bathroom. Vacuum. Dust TV. Take out garbage. You get the idea. Write them all on small slips of paper and place them in a jar. Take two/three out a day and complete the chores.

No cheating and putting it back because it is a hard one and digging out another. Just do it. By the end of the week it is all done. Place the notes back in the jar, rinse and repeat. You can break it out even further by chores per room.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

NightNDay, don't be embarrassed! There are lots of skills that people tend to assume we just 'accumulate' when we reach adulthood (like time management, financial management, cleaning, cooking) and it just doesn't work that way.

Okay, so I'm going to type a rather long post which is just my reflections - please feel free to ignore as you wish. I also apologise if I'm explaining a bit too much, but I'm taking you at your word in saying that you want detailed instructions.

Things I try and do daily (but sometimes do every other day):
- Putting clothes away or in the laundry after wearing
- Washing up dishes (I try and wash them up after breakfast and after dinner, but if I'm in a rush, I leave the breakfast ones and do them all in the evening)
- Making the bed

Things I definitely do once a week or more:
- Cleaning the toilet - basically, shoving some toilet cleaner down, leaving it a while, and then using a toilet brush on it
- Laundry - washing all the dark colours together, and then washing all the light colours together. If you have a tumble drier that you know won't shrink your clothes, I'd use that until you feel a bit happier with your house, as it means you won't have wet clothes drying everywhere. If it will shrink your clothes (definitely don't put jeans in it!) then hang up wherever you can
- Cleaning the kitchen - wiping down the sides to get rid of crumbs, cleaning the sink
- Emptying the bins in time for bin day

Things I try and do once a week but sometimes end up doing fortnightly:
- Changing and washing the bedding
- Cleaning the rest of the bathroom - sink, shower etc.
- Dusting the rest of the house - windowsills, tables, any surface really
- Hoovering the house
- Mopping kitchen and bathroom floors

Things I do once in a blue moon or if I'm really procrastinating:
- Cleaning the mirrors (using mirror cleaner and kitchen towel)
- Washing the shower curtains in the bathtub

Things like washing the curtains or blinds, I probably only do once a year.

Hope that this helps a bit? Sorry if I've been way too detailed here, I just know that when I'm struggling with something (typically managing finances) it helps me to have someone list out exactly what they do.

You might also find FlyLady.net useful - a few friends of mine use it because it designates particular days to focus on particular areas, so it can help if you really have no idea where to start.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Paper plates helps to eliminate getting overwhelmed with washing dishes constantly. Whenever I get frustrated with cleaning up, that's my go-to in order to start somewhere.

I also suggest keeping a glass (plastic solo cups) in the sink for utensils to be plopped into.

Laundry-
I hang near everything in closets and throw socks (all the same type/colour) in a drawer. I never cared for putting clothes in dresser drawers.

Dusting - I usually don't.

If you're not big on cleaning, you're not. If you don't know how, there are website like Fly Lady or unf*ckyourhabitat to help.

I personally have relied on making daily life simplier rather than trying to pretend that I can keep everything in it's place. I can't and if I had the time to do that, I'd seriously rather not. Prefer to use my time elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastdayone View Post
NightNDay, don't be embarrassed! There are lots of skills that people tend to assume we just 'accumulate' when we reach adulthood (like time management, financial management, cleaning, cooking) and it just doesn't work that way.

Okay, so I'm going to type a rather long post which is just my reflections - please feel free to ignore as you wish. I also apologise if I'm explaining a bit too much, but I'm taking you at your word in saying that you want detailed instructions.

Things I try and do daily (but sometimes do every other day):
- Putting clothes away or in the laundry after wearing
- Washing up dishes (I try and wash them up after breakfast and after dinner, but if I'm in a rush, I leave the breakfast ones and do them all in the evening)
- Making the bed

Things I definitely do once a week or more:
- Cleaning the toilet - basically, shoving some toilet cleaner down, leaving it a while, and then using a toilet brush on it
- Laundry - washing all the dark colours together, and then washing all the light colours together. If you have a tumble drier that you know won't shrink your clothes, I'd use that until you feel a bit happier with your house, as it means you won't have wet clothes drying everywhere. If it will shrink your clothes (definitely don't put jeans in it!) then hang up wherever you can
- Cleaning the kitchen - wiping down the sides to get rid of crumbs, cleaning the sink
- Emptying the bins in time for bin day

Things I try and do once a week but sometimes end up doing fortnightly:
- Changing and washing the bedding
- Cleaning the rest of the bathroom - sink, shower etc.
- Dusting the rest of the house - windowsills, tables, any surface really
- Hoovering the house
- Mopping kitchen and bathroom floors

Things I do once in a blue moon or if I'm really procrastinating:
- Cleaning the mirrors (using mirror cleaner and kitchen towel)
- Washing the shower curtains in the bathtub

Things like washing the curtains or blinds, I probably only do once a year.

Hope that this helps a bit? Sorry if I've been way too detailed here, I just know that when I'm struggling with something (typically managing finances) it helps me to have someone list out exactly what they do.

You might also find FlyLady.net useful - a few friends of mine use it because it designates particular days to focus on particular areas, so it can help if you really have no idea where to start.
This is exactly what I was hoping to find. THANK YOU! You have absolutely not been too detailed. Not in the least. Believe me, I'm almost like a small child trying to learn to do this (as inexplicable as it may sound).

I have never lived in a clean house, and have never been tasked with the chores of cleaning house. People assume my mess is all down to laziness (and, I'll be the first to admit that's a factor -- I certainly don't enjoy cleaning) but it's also partly down to a stunning inability to know what to do and when, in what order.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastdayone View Post
Making the bed
I do this every morning, even on the weekends. It makes me feel better for some reason. Makes your bed and the bedroom looks a lot more in order and it feels better when you get into it at night
Old 02-12-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're very welcome, NightNDay! Feel free to PM if you have any questions as well.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I come from the opposite side of the spectrum...my parents were European and cleaning/cooking was a religion...you scrubbed the floor and the grout. Lysol and Clorox scents were badges of honor.

I like un-eff your habitat website, it applies humor to uncluttering your stuff. I am also a big fan of steam cleaning, one of the floor steamers and the hand model remove any **** and no chemicals to breathe in.

clean toilets and clean sinks are easy to maintain once you do the general deep clean. and my own personal rule is to clean one drawer per week in the bedroom. I take a garbage bag every other month and go through the clothes, if it doesn't fit or is stained, it goes in the bag for donations, Vietnam Vets pick up in the driveway and they give you a receipt for taxes.

I do use the Swiffer wet mop cloths, especially in the winter as I drag in a lot of dirt, salt on the floors...mixes with the pet hair. they are cheap and easy, you just toss them out. BTW, HOT white vinegar (you can buy it for $3.00 a gallon) clears a slow drain and helps cut down on soap scum build-up too (mix with a few drops of dawn dish detergent).

your food prep areas need to stay clean to keep bacteria down. I use paper plates as cutting boards for meat or vegetables, then just toss. If I use a wooden cutting board for raw meat, I wash it with hot water then throw a layer of salt on it and scrub again with a paper towel.

you need to read the expiration dates on your fridge stuff and be sure to keep it fresh, sometimes it is amazing how long stuff sits when it only costs a couple of $$.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I first moved into my place on my own, one day I went to the supermarket and had a look at all the cleaning products on offer, and it really opened my eyes as to all the things that could be cleaned, having a well stocked cleaning cupboard was my starting point and I now put things on my shopping list when I'm running low.

Little and often is the key to my household maintenance, Sat/Sun are my best days for some cleaning, making it part of my routine made sure things got done, and then as time went on I got a feel for how often or less frequent different parts of the house need attended to!!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Check out the "Clean My Space" youtube channel. Plenty of great ideas there.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Check out 'Flylady' I saw it here posted several months. It is pretty good as it will get you started if needed as well as help set up a routine...Worth a look.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=F...m=93&ie=UTF-8#

The above should get you there, I don't know why it didn't add the direct link!!! Good luck