Notices

Financial mess (Where do I start?)

Old 02-12-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Financial mess (Where do I start?)

One of the side effects of being an active alcoholic is that I have made a complete and utter wreck of my finances. One year I didn't bother to file a tax return (I only made about $1,000 that year, but I recognize now that does not absolve me).

Additionally, there was one year (last year) where I'm pretty sure I didn't file my taxes properly. I'm not positive, and it was not intentional, but I was drunk when I filled them out and I pretty much sent the forms in being in a near blackout state. Needless to say, I would like to go over this tax return and make sure it's accurate, and file an amendment if it's not.

I honestly don't even know where to begin. I can't locate most of my paperwork. Can I just contact companies who have sent me 1099s and ask for replacements? Has anyone ever called the help line at the IRS and told them the truth (that you are in recovery and that you need to amend your old taxes). I don't even care if they audit me -- I have nothing to hide and I actually WANT to make amends and make this right. It's important step for me.

The trouble is, I don't think someone who has never dealt with alcoholism could even begin to comprehend the disarray my paperwork is in. I called a CPA to schedule a free consultation but I quickly realized I probably wasn't ready to take that step yet -- because he mentioned all the forms and paperwork I would need to bring in (past 1099s and copies of tax returns, letters from the IRS, etc.) and I don't know where 90% of that is.

How do I go about explaining that I don't even HAVE the paperwork and that I don't know how to replace it?

I feel like an idiot, like a helpless 2-year-old child. A fully-functioning adult should not be in this predicament.

I just really don't even know where to start.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Focus the current tax year. Locate all the paperwork you need (W2s, 1099s, whatever) and get working on moving forward with your finances before you work backwards.

That would be my advice.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you call the IRS you can expect a LONG wait (over an hour). You can just file your returns for the missing years. I think the IRS website has forms for previous years you can download. As far as the 1099s, you can contact the company you worked for and get copies from the payroll/accting dept. Just file and forget about explaining why until they ask you. They probably won't bother. I went thru that a few years ago. I was behind on 2 years. Just filed and all was OK.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am cobbling things together after 2.5 years sober and I understand your predicament. I just filed my taxes and I'll let you know what I did.

First, I bit the bullet and hired a professional. If you're in the States, you use a big service online and even select a personal representative. You can PM me if you want the exact site I used. They called me, asked about my current tax year, and then I sent them my documents. After that, I had to pay him (part of biting the bullet) and then they did my taxes for me. They even filed them. They were very diligent, thorough, and gave me a consultation before and after the taxes were done. I owed a significant amount (also part of biting the bullet) but it was done right, legally, etc. He also mentioned that it appears that I didn't file correctly last year. He gave me some helpful advice and tips.

During my active alcoholism days, I often did not pick up the phone or answer letters or pay bills. I avoided reality in all ways possible. Sounds like you did the same. I've found that simply taking action and being proactive on issues like taxes, bills, etc will pay you huge dividends. Don't worry about the past - it's over. Call a service, and they will help you take care of it. You won't be shamed or degraded, they see this all the time and it's just another day at the office for them. You can do it!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I just want to wish you luck
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here, so hopefully you can get this sorted out.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post

During my active alcoholism days, I often did not pick up the phone or answer letters or pay bills. I avoided reality in all ways possible. Sounds like you did the same. I've found that simply taking action and being proactive on issues like taxes, bills, etc will pay you huge dividends. Don't worry about the past - it's over. Call a service, and they will help you take care of it. You won't be shamed or degraded, they see this all the time and it's just another day at the office for them. You can do it!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! This was very helpful. I related 100% to what you said about how you "avoided reality in all ways possible."

That was me. That's still me (at least, it's still my natural inclination -- I struggle against it daily). I really think a big motivator for my drinking was that I just wanted to make life go away for a while -- I wanted to disappear and not have to deal with anything or feel anything or accept anything.

I imagine a lot of us get into that situation. The downward spiral of it all is horrific. I had always had a problem with drinking, but when a loved one (who was very young) was diagnosed with a rare, aggressive cancer I basically went over the cliff. I had no clue how to deal with her cancer, and with each passing week things got worse. She died after battling the illness for roughly half a year, and during the entire course of her sickness I drank heavily and often.

I had no regard for my family, my friends, career, for the people I was hurting, or for the consequences. I had no regard for my LIFE. It wasn't that I actively wanted to die -- I was honestly scared of dying, so it's not like there was a secret death wish at play. I just did not want to be "present" for my life. My life had become incomprehensible and I did not want to be there for it. I did not want to watch someone die, to see her hospice care, her physical and mental deterioration. I did not want to be involved in making the tough choices that come with end of life treatment. Yet, I had to physically show up for all of it. Which I did. Mentally, though, I checked out as much as I could with alcohol.

After she died I was in a lot of shock and grief and I kept right on drinking to try and cope with that. (You all know how well that worked.)

It's a miracle I didn't kill myself; I made so many gravely bad decisions. When I think about what I put my family through, and when I think about what a horrible person I became, I can't believe they didn't desert me. Well, I guess I can...it's amazing how far people will go when they love you. But I honestly kind of deserved to be deserted. They should not have had to put up with my horrendous behavior. I will never be able to fully make amends for what I did to them, but I will spend every day trying.

Alcoholism is the worst kind of hell.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband works for the IRS and it is funny we were just talking about this the other day. Most people don't realize that the IRS actually does want to work WITH you. They want to get all the money that is owed to them and the best way to do that is to work with people and not against them. I would take the advice of picking up the phone and just calling their 800 number. Yes it is a very long wait but, you will get someone who actually knows what you want and will help you get there... or will direct you to someone that can help you. They even have tax payer advocates that are also there to help.

Luckily I was married to a tax man who never let me run my own money (thankfully)... so this is one situation I am grateful that I didn't end up in.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think you even have to file federal if you make under a certain amount. Last I remember is was $7500. Things may have changed though.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't prepared taxes for a few years so things may have changed but there are some proactive steps you can take.

You can request a transcript from the IRS for all reported income items. Basically it's a report that shows you all W2 & 1099's that have been filed using your Social Security Number for the year(s) requested.

Get Transcript

You should also keep in mind that there is a limit to how far back you can file amended returns - something like 3 years from the date of original file. You also don't need to file just to correct simple errors (like addition/subtraction) because the IRS will have recalculated it automatically & sent letters of explanations if their review resulted in changes.

Ten Facts on Filing an Amended Tax Return

Hiring a professional can be worth it simply to put your mind at ease & to make sure that you are picking up all allowable deductions. They are also really helpful in cases where you owe money & need someone to advocate for you to the IRS.

You can also call IRS & request copies of letters previously sent if you've lost them. (That can take a while, so be prepared.) I also 2nd the idea of getting 2014 filed correctly asap & working backward from there if possible.

Like Gracie pointed out, there is a possibility you won't need to file for years with substantially low income... here's the link to the 2013 Q&A about that topic:

Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return?

HTH!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I haven't prepared taxes for a few years so things may have changed but there are some proactive steps you can take.

You can request a transcript from the IRS for all reported income items. Basically it's a report that shows you all W2 & 1099's that have been filed using your Social Security Number for the year(s) requested.

Get Transcript

You should also keep in mind that there is a limit to how far back you can file amended returns - something like 3 years from the date of original file. You also don't need to file just to correct simple errors (like addition/subtraction) because the IRS will have recalculated it automatically & sent letters of explanations if their review resulted in changes.

Ten Facts on Filing an Amended Tax Return

Hiring a professional can be worth it simply to put your mind at ease & to make sure that you are picking up all allowable deductions. They are also really helpful in cases where you owe money & need someone to advocate for you to the IRS.

You can also call IRS & request copies of letters previously sent if you've lost them. (That can take a while, so be prepared.) I also 2nd the idea of getting 2014 filed correctly asap & working backward from there if possible.

Like Gracie pointed out, there is a possibility you won't need to file for years with substantially low income... here's the link to the 2013 Q&A about that topic:

Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return?

HTH!
Thanks FireSprite. I've been so terrified of dealing with this that I've been putting it off. Time to face the music. Your links are very helpful.

I was curious -- do you know if there's any benefit to getting the tax forms in the mail vs. online. It says on the site that if I need a photocopy of the tax forms I'll have to get that through the mail. Is there a law against getting it online and just printing it myself?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightNDay View Post
Thanks FireSprite. I've been so terrified of dealing with this that I've been putting it off. Time to face the music. Your links are very helpful.

I was curious -- do you know if there's any benefit to getting the tax forms in the mail vs. online. It says on the site that if I need a photocopy of the tax forms I'll have to get that through the mail. Is there a law against getting it online and just printing it myself?
It depends - some forms used to have to be the original forms issued by IRS in order for the ink to be read properly in their system. (It used to be really important for things like filing original W2 forms - they had to have that red ink.) I don't think it's that restrictive any longer & I certainly print & file forms from their website for payroll tax filings, etc. I'm pretty sure I printed blank 1040 forms to file my mom's taxes last year..... but keep in mind they don't keep all forms online for all years.

It might be just as easy to go to your local IRS office too, depending on where you live. Our local office is always busy but they are WAY more helpful than the agents on the phone when you call in. I attended an IRS-sponsored seminar every year at tax time & they themselves told us that you will get bad/wrong information about 60% of the time when you call into the call center.

The call centers also ring across the US, there's no getting the same person 2x in a row & no way to track back to bad information given to you if that happens. Dealing with someone face to face gives you a bit more of a chance at getting things right the first time you address them.

I know it's intimidating, but they are just people like you & me..... if they want to judge you then that's THEIR damage. You'll feel like a million bucks when you are able to put this behind you, focus on how GREAT that is going to feel!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I only made about $1,000 that year, but I recognize now that does not absolve me.
Actually it does. You do not have file unless your income is greater than the standard deduction and the exclusion for your filing status. In 2014 that was $10,150 for single people. In 2013 it was $10,000. Below that amount and a single person would not be required to file a tax return. (You might want to file to get a refund, but there is no requirement.)

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf (page 6)

If the IRS owes you money you have 3 years to amend your return. If you owe the IRS money they have unlimited time to collect it from you.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hopefully you get it all sorted NightNDay!!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Actually it does. You do not have file unless your income is greater than the standard deduction and the exclusion for your filing status. In 2014 that was $10,150 for single people. In 2013 it was $10,000. Below that amount and a single person would not be required to file a tax return. (You might want to file to get a refund, but there is no requirement.)

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf (page 6)

If the IRS owes you money you have 3 years to amend your return. If you owe the IRS money they have unlimited time to collect it from you.
Thanks! I got a letter in the mail telling me they hadn't received a tax return from me for the previous year (the one ending 2012) and I guess I just panicked and figured that meant I had to send one. Looking back at the letter, I now see it does not actually say I have to file. It does say that I have a credit on my account and that if I don't contact them about that, then the credit will eventually expire.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Good Luck NightNDay, Hope you get what you need here.

Everything well get better, take couple deep breaths and do one thing at time.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Thanks! I got a letter in the mail telling me they hadn't received a tax return from me for the previous year (the one ending 2012) and I guess I just panicked and figured that meant I had to send one. Looking back at the letter, I now see it does not actually say I have to file. It does say that I have a credit on my account and that if I don't contact them about that, then the credit will eventually expire.
That means the IRS owes you money. There is no penalty (or interest) for filing late if the IRS owes you money.

Find a way to get the 2012 returned filed as cheaply as possible. (You can probably just download the forms from the IRS website, fill them out and mail them in - although you'll need to find the 2012 W2.) Seems like you have some found money to collect.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lots of awesome advice here, I have nothing more that I can say other than good luck, take it one day at a time, and everything financially will fall into place over time.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My advice would be to collect your current paperwork and work on this years taxes only. If there is a problem with a return you filed in the past, you will get a notification in the mail from IRS indicating what you need to do. Until you get something from IRS, I wouldn't worry about your prior returns. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovesunrises View Post
My advice would be to collect your current paperwork and work on this years taxes only. If there is a problem with a return you filed in the past, you will get a notification in the mail from IRS indicating what you need to do. Until you get something from IRS, I wouldn't worry about your prior returns. Good luck!
No offense, but this is wrong. The IRS would not neccessarily know if something was wrong with a prior return. I would agree that you should file your current year, then verify what you filed in past years and if the information was correct. If not, you can file an amended return (you would be on the hook for anything you owe, plus penalty and interest.) Heck, you may even be due the refund. You can probably do pretty well on this yourself, especially at the $ level you are talking about and it could be an interesting and distracting project for you.

It is important that you have the correct information on file with the IRS (via a return) for every tax year. Good luck!!