Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. New member here from Cardiff in the UK.
On day one of my recovery journey after hitting rock bottom over the past few weeks.
I'm terrified of losing my job and access to my children. My doctor has prescribed me Antebuse but the cravings are so bad today it's driving me insane.
I know it's only day one and things will get easier but I was wondering how you guys got through the fist few days?
Thanks.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It is hard, but have faith you can do this.

For me, changing my daily routine helped in the early days. By that I mean, planning to do different things during the times of day when you would be drinking. Shop in different stores, drive home from work by a different route, anything that can shake up your routine will help.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome Chaostar, did the doctor offer any other type of aid or advice to overcome the withdrawal?
If you are feeling edging beyond control - call the doctor immediately. I don't know your history, but it is nothing to fool around with. I also hope you know that consuming alcohol while taking antabuse can be deadly.

Welcome to the forum. Take a look around and post often - stay close and reach out if you are in doubt.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chaostar. Early times can be very difficult.

It might be wise to call your doctor to let him know how badly you are feeling.

Whatever you do, please don't drink alcohol. As LBrain said, the consequences of doing so can be very severe while on antabuse.

You may find this link useful:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...light=101+tips
Old 02-12-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Yes those early days are tough...but you will get through it. Just stay strong mentally, but also give yourself compassion. Your brain has gotten used to this chemical called alcohol and getting off it takes time for adjustment. I also had feelings of losing my job, never getting better, etc. those feelings will subside over time.

Hang in there!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome Chaos

I'm only just over 6 weeks sober so no long period of sobriety to speak from but you stand a much better chance of seeing children/keeping job by staying sober

I can only speak for myself but 40 or so days out it hasn't got "easier" Some things have got better for sure but there has been no kind of linear reduction in my desire for booze -I still want it and sometimes (fairly often) I crave it but hopefully i'll get used to not having it.

You said you were at rock bottom, I was too and so am but a few days away from it. Basically to get me thru the first few days I just wanted to be someone different from the pathetic 54 year old drunk that I actually was.

You've come to the right place Chaos because there are people on this forum who have been in your position
Old 02-12-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Chaostar, greetings. All things will improve with sober time. The first couple of days, I find many a distraction movies, walks, finding a good game online, family time.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Had an overnight stay in hospital a week ago where they gave me some anxiety medication for the withdrawals.
Just got to suck it up for the next few days I suppose. One hour at a time. God, the things we do to ourselves because of alcohol!!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lightbulb I am new too.

Hi - today is my first day as well. Hopefully we can help each other and learn from the ones who have been through it as well. Best of Luck.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello. Welcome. We all want you to get better. Many of us have and we've used this site to support each other.

Last year I drank after being prescribed antebuse. For the first can it didn't seem too bad. Just got a hot face.

So I tried a few more. The impact was delayed but I was completely overwhelmed. I vomited for hours but I didn't dare call the ambulance. Looking back I think I put my life at risk.

Please take a great deal of caution while you're on antebuse.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Chaosstar nice to meet you

For me its acceptance knowing that i cant drink safely or responsibly

You can get in touch with your local nhs drug & alcohol services E-DAS | Entry into Drug and Alcohol Services (EDAS)

And they will really help
Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've heard too many horror stories to try drinking on Antebuse. Willpower alone didn't help so taking the option to drink away seemed sensible.
I'm in touch with EDAS but they are overwhelmed at the moment and it's a 12 week waiting list. I am in the system but I needed help immediately so the GP was the only real option.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry to hear about the 12 wk waiting list Chaostar you done excellent seeing a gp tho

Keep up the good work & know you have a lot of support here
Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi!

I stayed on here and posted constantly in so many threads, I read everything I could for the first few days, (I still do sometimes)
Drink a lot of tea, eat some nice food, get candy or ice cream.
Best wishes!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would like to say, that I am 13, therefore I can't tell you how it felt while trying to stop because I was never addicted to begin with. But I can tell you that my mother is an alcoholic, and I'm not proud of some of her decisions in life. Some of them hurt me too. I've seen her try many times to quite, but for some reason she always goes back. But I still wouldn't trade her for anyone, no matter what she has put me through because I know she still loves me, she'd do anything for me. Let the love for your kids, and that need of your job be the fuel that fires your recovery into action.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words Maddiegrace. I think that's one of my lowest points. Choosing vodka over seeing my children shows how strong the addiction is. I hope your mother can get help soon.
Take care.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chaostar!!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AA. Do it it works. Don't pick up that first drink. Just think of how miserable you were when you were drinking. Don't get back to the darkside. My Dr prescribed me librium. It doesn't help wi th cravings but it does help with detox symptoms and anxiety. You might want to ask about that. Any urgent care can prescribe it. Good luck. It ain't easy. We can all yell you anything. Depends on you.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I am still in my early healings, however I have notice that what helps me is, change your routes and be active in things that doesn't have alcohol around you. I am on my 9 days and I don't have the craving much today. I actually feel good about myself that I am ready for any obstacles to come my way.

I would call your doctor to let them know how you feeling. Medications can help you, but if you still are struggling with the craving and all it might not be the right kind.

You can do it, you will have hard times for a while. Just think how much you will feel better without it.