Notices

I need some help, please

Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need some help, please

So a little backlog, I'm 33 years old and I know I have a problem with drinking. It's already ruined a few relationships. I've done many drugs (coke, ex, molly, weed, etc..) but for WHATEVER reason alcohol is my drug of choice. I've tried AA but it did not stick, I just don't know what to do guys.

I constantly feel myself getting "better" but after 3-5 days sober I end up hitting the bottle again and this has been going on for YEARS. Every week is the same old shenanigans, pour out a bottle of booze and it ends up being replaced by the end of the week. I know I'm not depressed because I'm in a perfectly fine mood sober but those ****** demons...... And I drink alone quite a bit. I just want some advice and I figured this would be the place to bring them up. Thanks for any help buddies, I'm thinking I might have to get back into AA
Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This sounds exactly like me
We'll kick it, just gotta keep trying.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem aboard rowingboats - there's a ton of support here.

If you feel like going back to AA would be good, then why not do it?

D
Old 02-11-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm willing to go to any lengths to make my life better. If it means AA or any other program, who cares. All I want it to feel better.

So far Aa does that for me.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you liked AA, maybe try going back there? And get a sponsor and work the steps? I'm not an AA person (there are many here who are who might be able to say more) but it seems to me there's a big difference between just going to AA and really working the program. It sounds to me like you may be ready to do the latter. You should do it. Whatever unhappiness you have with your drinking, it's not going to get better unless you take action. It seems like you're ready to do so.

If the question is, should you go back to AA? I would say yes. Why wouldn't you?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey thanks guys for the quick response. I willl go back to AA, I'm not a fan of all the preachy stuff but I have to give it another shot
Old 02-11-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just stick with what feels right at first and once you start getting some sober time you can begin to explore other methods of recovery.
Keep it simple and don't get to complicated. That's what's working for me.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Rowingboats
Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi rowingboats, welcome to SR
Old 02-12-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.
I was where you’re at for too long because in my undisciplined alcohol haze/dazed mind I knew more than all those sober people who came through the AA doors daily.
Man I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I needed a LOT of meetings ASAP to prevent what was going on within me and that was not nice misery, emotionally and physically.
The long term sobriety results are not good in general so every opportunity to grab a hold of a program that has helped millions to me is a no brainer. When we work THE program, not ours, the results are wonderful. Doing it our old way and eventually your misery is refunded with a +.

BE WELL
Old 02-12-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Rowingboats View Post
So a little backlog, I'm 33 years old and I know I have a problem with drinking. It's already ruined a few relationships. I've done many drugs (coke, ex, molly, weed, etc..) but for WHATEVER reason alcohol is my drug of choice. I've tried AA but it did not stick, I just don't know what to do guys.

I constantly feel myself getting "better" but after 3-5 days sober I end up hitting the bottle again and this has been going on for YEARS. Every week is the same old shenanigans, pour out a bottle of booze and it ends up being replaced by the end of the week. I know I'm not depressed because I'm in a perfectly fine mood sober but those ****** demons...... And I drink alone quite a bit. I just want some advice and I figured this would be the place to bring them up. Thanks for any help buddies, I'm thinking I might have to get back into AA
I could have written this post when I was 33. You don't want to write the post I wrote when I was 48. Feeding those ******* demons alcohol makes them bigger, badder, and thirstier. It will never get easier to stop than it is today. Every drink you take makes it incrementally harder.

Lots of people get sober using AA. Lots of people get sober using other methods, too. Find the one that sticks for you and use it.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hola: have you looked into AVRT? Add anything you can to your sobriety arsenal. You have to find what works for you. Use this forum, it's a great tool.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back and working on your recovery.

There is lots of support here and lots of different ways to recover.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Rowingboats!!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I didn't understand the AA program my first time around either. Relapsed and stayed drunk for ten more years. I guess I just was not done.

Came back to the rooms and have been sober ever since. Give it another try. If you have the gift of desperation it can make all the difference.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rockingboats, to SR. AA is certainly worth another try; from what I have heard others say (I don't use AA), AA works when you really it work it - go through the Steps, etc.

Take a look around the site; If AA doesn't work for you, there are other options.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

AA only works if you continue you to go, so force yourself through those doors! I am having a similar problem, and I think its time for all of us to just dedicate our selves to the sobriety instead of letting those "demons" make all the decisions for us.