Notices

Bad day yesterday

Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Bad day yesterday

Yesterday, I decide to get out of my house and drove to the mall with my kids and my mother n law. My daughter can stress me out time to time. She get everything she wants when Grandma is here. My Grandma spend about 500.00 dollars on her last night at the mall. Which I am grateful that my mother n law can spend money on her, due to me not having a job. But, when my daughter makes a big scene in the mall about she has to get this and that, I started feeling my anxiety kicking in. I felt like my face was red and I felt like I was on fire inside. I hate when she makes a big deal about things and say I blame her for everything.

I get the teen moods, but she needs to give me respect.

Anyways, I just had to walk away and took my son with me and just meet them to the car. It was getting late that night, and we have a 1 year old dog at home in the cage. I wanted to leave and take her out of the cage.
We bought this dog cause my daughter wanted her and told me she will take care of her. She does sometimes, but I am tired most of the time.
I have talk to her about my drinking and let her know that if you want me to stop you got to give me love and support.

This kind of stuff wants me to drink, and I was going to get some after I dropped everyone off at home. But instead I ate something and watch 2 movies after I put my son to bed.

This is my 8th day without alcohol, and it is really hard. I got one more week and it should get easier after that. I am hoping!!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel you... hopefully today is better.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good job on not getting the booze last night, and coming here to talk it out is a great idea. Things will get better.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jen73 View Post
I have talk to her about my drinking and let her know that if you want me to stop you got to give me love and support.
Congratulations on your sobriety! Well Done!

But, this does not depend on your daughter's love and support. It's up to you, completely. It would be nice if your family supported you, but in my opinion, it's not right to put this onto your teenager's shoulders. You can do this and make your family proud of you.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 8 and getting through a urge/craving

I agree with Anna
Old 02-11-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Every time you get through something like this without turning to alcohol, it will get easier the next time. At the age of 14, am sure there will be a next time.

I'd lay down the law on boundaries to her. I know it was a special occasion but her behavior is unacceptable with Grandma or anyone.
She should get some kind of negative for making a scene. It's not too late to do that.

Hang in there. All in all, you came out of this better than a lot of folks would. <---like me, I almost have anxiety attacks reading about a public scene. My daughter is just 12 and I'm very leery of moods that I have no clue how to handle till they happen.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on getting through yesterday without drinking.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Every time you fight off an urge like this Jen73, you get a little bit stronger, and a little bit more confident in what you are doing.

You deserve a lot of credit for last night. You really do. Well done.

Now, expect that there will be more challenges like this in the days ahead. Be ready for them and think of how you will deal with them when they do arise.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have bad days all the time. I don't take them personally. I make sure that every bad day is turned into a "Learning day" When I have good days I don't learn anything from them. I can learn a whole lot about bad days. About how to persevere, how to stay positive through adversity, how to keep on tacking massive action even through the face of adversity.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for making the right choice! There will always be stress in life, it's how you react to it that counts. By not picking up you have changed your life.

Well Done!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through!! On to conquer another day!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You made good choices yesterday!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep up the GOOD work, Jen!

You're doing this for YOU.

Congrats on Day 8 and moving forward.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

8 Days is fantastic!!

For me I needed to develop some new coping skills for life when I got Sober, because all I had in the toolbox was alcohol, but we can't keep going back to that as a default, we need new methods, because will always have stress, we just need to deal with it differently!!

Keep pushing through!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello:

If you get sober your daughter will respect you more. I don't know your story but sobriety and honesty in my opinion, are always the best policy. I don't know the dynamic between you and also your MIL, but stressful situations will still be around but you will learn to deal with them. Flex your sober muscles and use us for support.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with some of the sentiments from above the decision to drink or not drink does not depend on your daughter or how you perceive she is treating you. Support is a beautiful thing and when nothing else worked I always found it here. However, ultimately drinking or not drinking depends on you. Sounds like you've got a solid start though congratulations on 8 days keep up the good work.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I understand that it doesn't depend on my daughter, it depend on me.

I know my daughter been thru a lot by me drinking for years, and other things in her life she has to cope with. I know it takes time to get my trust back from her.

I am trying to be there for her when she needs me to be, which gives the courage not to drink, but I need her to be there for me when I need her.

We both need reinsurance in our life. I do tell her I love her and I want the best for her. Every time I see her, she remind me what I was when I was, I don't want her to walk in my paths.

She has walked in my path before and it was very scary seeing her drunk, when she came home from a friends house. She has told me she will never do that again.

She is very emotional, young girl. I just want her to follow her dreams and not get stuck in bad situations. She is very smart, pretty, and knows what she wants. I try to keep pushing her to her dreams.

I realize she needs me more than ever right now, Since I been sober I can go toward that path with her and make a new life together.

"I love you Amber, and don't forget the good times we spend together"