Notices

graveyard shifts......

Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

graveyard shifts......

are the worst!! There is a reason they are called graveyard shifts and it's because they really mess with you body and put you in an early grave. I'm a disaster today... just slept all day and still fell unrested and crappy. I always start work really early, usually 4 or 5 but sometimes we have to go earlier and these 2am starts are killing me. I don't know how I did it while drinking every night.

My kid is an insomniac and sometimes he barely sleeps all night. He is highly intelligent and can't turn his mind off to rest. Well this morning he refused to get up for my boyfriend.... when I got home from work he was still in bed and when I got him up he had a full blown tantrum and still refused to get ready. In the end he went but it was so stressful because I was very tired myself. I have him doing nightly meditations but they don't seem to be helping him. Poor guy. I feel for him that he can't sleep but he still has to go to school.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How old is he?
And what exactly was he getting up for if you dont mind?
Also, how many hours did he sleep?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He is 12 and he wouldn't get up to get ready for school. When I got up to get ready for work at 1am he was still awake so I guess he got around 6 hours of sleep. He has always had trouble sleeping. I've asked him many times what he thinks about that he can't sleep... he says he doesn't worry about things but he can't stop thinking. It's very frustrating for him because then he's grumpy and tired all day. I've been to the doctor and he suggested melatonin and we use it occasionally but I don't feel right giving it to a child. I give him warm milk. We don't let him use electronic devices and actually kick him off the wireless router in the evening so he can't even if he tries. He does yoga nidra meditations but he says they don't help. I don't what else I can do?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is he getting enough exercise? Kids need a lot of exercise. I know if I don't get daily exercise I can't shut off my brain to go to sleep or stay asleep, so a twelve year old must have an even harder time. It's funny that he uses almost the same language to describe it that I do.

Does he have any ADD traits? Lack of focus, inability to concentrate? Easily distracted?

How about an organized sport or school band, or a paper route?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Generally, i wouldn't recommend melatonin for a 12 year old child.
And he may be too old for warm milk.

What it seems is that he has an "High overactive mind"
Meaning he has a lot of potential and a smart brain.
Smart brains are normally ALWAYS working, creating new things, working out, studying hard in school, etc.
If he is just going to school and coming back home without doing any type of "distraction" then he will most likely continue to think.

Him thinking during the day while performing sports, etc, will leave his brain with little energy to overthink when its time to shut it off.

So, he's healthy. He's breathing. He is blessed. Take it one day at a time. Not being able to sleep because of an over active mind isn't a disease. Ask him, what do you want to do? Take him to the museum, etc, and see the way he reacts towards certain things. Excite his mind with trips, so that it can excite his brain which will also tired him out. If nothing is exciting him, it most likely will cause him to stay in this state.

Blessings.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He has been in the gifted program since grade 4. When he was tested he scored in the 98th percentile. He's brilliant. Yes he's involved in sports, he plays hockey. But he could probably use more exercise, all kids could use more in my opinion. It's hard in the winter to get out everyday. You are right about boredom, he needs activities and challenges. He's lucky to be in such a great program at school, he gets to do some really interesting projects and has the best teachers.

I agree that kids should not use sleep aids. He takes it very occasionally when we are all at our wits ends. Sometimes he comes downstairs crying because he is so exhausted. I can't make him sleep though... it's something he has to go through alone.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes exactly.

As long as you're trying and being patient.

Im sure it will get better. Keep him active. Then he'll learn. Thats all

Mild video games may also up uppen his drive. Maybe a little game like "Minecraft".

Its a game where you are challenged to build your own world, etc.

Its all up to you though. Just keep loving him the way you do and im sure you will be fine!