Notices

Strange thing going on

Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange thing going on

Hi everyone... I know giving medical advice is not allowed, but I just wanted to survey people here to see if anyone else went thru this. I really committed myself to becoming totally sober back in Aug of last year when I joined SR. I have had a documented rocky road, but over all, I have done fairly well, not perfect tho.

So, my question is, since I have diminished my alcohol intake, I have noticed I get a bit dizzy and light headed at times. I am at a loss to explain. Maybe because I am blond? LOL

Anyone else experience this?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've also had dizziness / vertigo at times since I stopped drinking. It seems to generally be getting better but yeah it's annoying. I also feel at times like my legs are a little like jelly (wobbly), but again that has diminished slowly, but not totally gone.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, I get dizzy too. No answers as to why...yet.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I experienced similar things. Mine was, I think, related to sugar lows as something always seemed to help.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am glad I am not alone!! Thanks you guys.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I am glad I am not alone!! Thanks you guys.

No, thank you for asking this, because I wanted to ask, but didnt really know how to go about it, lol, now I feel less alone too!!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well Art, alcohol does play tricks on us. All the while you were drinking you lost sight of reality. You basically forgot that you were a blonde. Now that you have sobered up it is slowly coming back to you. You are a blonde. And the truth of who you are was hidden behind that mask alcohol provides to many of us. It is gradual at first. But in a few more months you will be close to 100% blonde again. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do about it. You can try dying your hair dark or deep red, but I'm afraid your reality has already taken hold of you.

On a lighter note, I noticed I was a bit as described around the three month mark give or take. Couldn't explain it. I even noticed the 'gremlins' at times during that period.
Just stay the course and make sure you are getting the proper vitamins and plenty of water/fluids. It should take care of itself. If it is a real concern for you - schedule a doctor appointment sooner rather than later.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool! I am glad this thread helped. It may be sugar drops. I tend to be hypoglycemic.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plure View Post
I've also had dizziness / vertigo at times since I stopped drinking. It seems to generally be getting better but yeah it's annoying. I also feel at times like my legs are a little like jelly (wobbly), but again that has diminished slowly, but not totally gone.
Oh I'm glad you mentioned this! My legs feel the same :/
Going to go get some vitamins and drink a lot of water
Old 02-10-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
well Art, alcohol does play tricks on us. All the while you were drinking you lost sight of reality. You basically forgot that you were a blonde. Now that you have sobered up it is slowly coming back to you. You are a blonde. And the truth of who you are was hidden behind that mask alcohol provides to many of us. It is gradual at first. But in a few more months you will be close to 100% blonde again. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do about it. You can try dying your hair dark or deep red, but I'm afraid your reality has already taken hold of you.
OMG!! You are right Brain! Tee-hee, I am a blonde. I'm remembering now... bits and pieces of my blonde life...taking a scarf back to the store because it was too tight...getting stranded on that escalator after the power went out...watching the news about 9 Brazilians dying in a house fire and I didn't know how many was in a brazilian...yeah... slowly coming back..giggle
Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
OMG!! You are right Brain! Tee-hee, I am a blonde. I'm remembering now... bits and pieces of my blonde life...taking a scarf back to the store because it was too tight...getting stranded on that escalator after the power went out...watching the news about 9 Brazilians dying in a house fire and I didn't know how many was in a brazilian...yeah... slowly coming back..giggle
ArtFriend, you are hysterical.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Art, the dizziness is probably down to dipping blood sugar level, you'll get it especially when hungry or after exercise.......that was what mine was anyway...... a lot of sugar in alcohol that has now been taken away, body probably processes sugars quickly as it will have become efficient due to all the sugar in the booze.

Also ask the doctor to do your blood pressure as low blood pressure can cause dizziness when standing up.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you know what? Marathon Man hit on something. I remember coming from the gym and I definitely was very light headed and 'dizzy' sometimes. It does take time for our physiology to adjust to the different parameters we are trying to establish. Yes, MM thanks.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm also experiencing vertigoes and dizziness! Hasn't crossed my mind it could be sobriety related but now that I think about it...
Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hmmmmm.....ive been having some dizziness
the past 2 days, but sober a good many yrs now.
Yesterday was bad and today im better.

Ive been trying to jog my memory as to what
caused my dizziness and cant put my finger on
it. Hmmmmm....

At 56, it could be my body changing again.
I eat okay, take vitamins, sleep okay with a
fan to keep me cool. Could be the weather..
just don't know.

However, im absolutely sure it isn't a horrible
hangover from alcohol. I definitely don't need
alcohol to remind me how I hate that dizzy
feeling you get when drunk because there's
other things in life that make me dizzy easily
like motion sickness.

It maybe time for a check from my doctor one
of these days even tho I don't like going. Oh
well, this too shall pass. And for you too.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Yes, I experienced similar things. Mine was, I think, related to sugar lows as something always seemed to help.
me too.

they have subsided.
However! I get massive dizzy spells every time I get up. Just for a few seconds. I've had my CBC and all is well though.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I do sometimes get dizzy if my sugar levels are low. I also get grouchy! When I eat regularly throughout the day it certainly helps. I remember someone at an AA meeting once saying that she always makes sure she has a snack in her bag "like a toddler!"
Old 02-10-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

AF -

I too had some dizzy jazz going on. Went to doc and it was low blood sugar - the sugar we remove when not drinking is immense. I also had a little cholesterol issue that I take a pill for daily now......

As I started taking care of myself more, thought a visit to the dentist for a tooth that had bugged me for a very long time was in order as well. Turns out, had a chronic infection.....not good.

A round of antibiotics cleared up the infection and my dizziness! That was around 4-5 months of sobriety. My thought process cleared markedly shortly after probably a combo of low blood sugar the infection.

Speaking of blonde.......
A blonde, a redhead, and a brunette were all lost in the desert. They found a lamp and rubbed it. A genie popped out and granted them each one wish. The redhead wished to be back home. Poof! She was back home. The brunette wished to be at home with her family. Poof! She was back home with her family. The blonde said, "Awwww, I wish my friends were here."
Old 02-10-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had something similar a few months in, turned out to be low blood pressure and low blood sugar!!

Please check in with your Dr to be safe Art!!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may be a lot of things - but speculation doesn't really get us anywhere, and strains the bounds of the medical advice rule.

Please keep it to experience only thanks guys.

I hope you'll see your Dr AF

D