Notices

New and uncertain

Old 02-10-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and uncertain

Hi,
This is my first post on this site. I'm in a very uncertain state but compelled to be here.
A little back ground : I love to drink, love the buzz and will always have one more cause I don't want to loose said buzz. I was drinking 2-6 drinks per day until recently. Please don't tell me that's not a lot cause it is for me.
With young kids I started to get stressed and would have 2 beers while I made their lunch, sleep while they napped and then drink more while making dinner.

Recently I overindulged at a company function and feel embarrassed by my jovial behavior. This has been a real turning point for me. I've had a few drinks since then but nothing like before. I feel as if God wants me to feel I'd hit bottom and makes some changes so I've cut back. I think about alcohol all the time though.
I know it would be easier in some regards if I completely quit vs trying to cut back. Cutting back means I'd never get over the thirst I fear.

I guess I'm looking for support and direction and don't know where to turn. I haven't talked to anyone about this, not even my sweet hubby.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Talking about how you feel to your husband is a good start (as well as coming here!)

Welcome.

Wishing you well.

L x
Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum x
Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

I used to think about alcohol all the time, too. I never knew I was a slave until I was free from that.

Good luck on Your Journey!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How do I get free??
Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome nice to meet you GL2P
Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good of you to be concerned with your drinking now. A problem with alcohol only gets worse with continued drinking. The struggles to quit only get more difficult.

Originally Posted by Girlluvs2party View Post
How do I get free??
By not drinking. By realizing that "normal" drinkers don't obsess over alcohol or think about drinking all the time. By realizing that you are not a normal drinker and unlikely to ever turn into one. That means accepting that you can never drink again.

Succeeding at this usually means following some form of recovery to address the reasons we drank and learning to live and love a sober life.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here!

We get free/win by surrendering to the fact we cannot drink normally. Acceptance we have a problem is the starting point. If we cannot accept this simple fact, we are destined to repeat the same mistakes regardless of how hard we try.

Once we have gained acceptance, we have to accept a solution. There are many choices - But the main thing is to have a plan and do not waver from it.

It helped me a lot to read others stories they post at one year or more of sobriety. You make find some you can identify with.......
Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Keep coming back!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted.

I think that cutting back is going to continue to have you thinking about alcohol all the time. I say that because I tried that for quite awhile. I became more obsessed with alcohol, the more I tried to control my drinking. Stopping drinking was really such a relief.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Moderation - or rather, attempting moderation - was torture for me.

I don't want one drink. I want the buzz. Then I want to keep it going. One or two drinks are pointless.

It is far easier to do total abstinence. Plus I'm healthy and feel great, no more internal struggle. I think you are saying the same thing, that the obsession is in you and the inner conflict is eating at you.

Total abstinence - forever - is the answer for us.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Read and find out as much as you can. Great place to start with tons of success and support.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I tried 'cutting down' on my drinking but failed miserably. Besides, I didn't want to moderate. I drank to get drunk. It was much easier for me to stop drinking totally than to try to control it.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I tend to oversimplify things. But when it comes to drinking, I simply asked myself if the problems that had arisen from drinking (i.e. anxiety, guilt, embarrassment, health issues, etc.) outweighed the temporary pleasure that I was getting from the alcohol buzz. And even though I REALLY enjoyed the buzz, in the end, the question was a no-brainer. It was time to quit.

If you weigh the pros and cons and, like the rest of us, decide that you need to quit, then it simply becomes a matter of digging in your heels, reaching for whatever support you need, and getting the job done. So far, I have found all of the support that I need from the good people here at SR.

Good luck. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Girlluvs2party View Post
How do I get free??
Have you thought about AA? My experience with them has been very positive, but you have to go to meetings quite a bit at first to really appreciate their perspective and approach.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi: also research AVRT. It has really helped me. Welcome to this great community.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I really wanted to drink and not have the bad stuff happen too - but it always did, no matter how I tried to cut back, no matter how good my intent was, I always lost control - and more and more as the years flew by.

There's a lot of great advice here - I'm glad you found us Girlluvs2party

D
Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My story was so much like yours. Drinking wine to handle my kids in my own. I tried to moderate but that didn't work. It gets easier and easier the longer you go! I also had to come clean with my husband bc he had no idea. Aa helped me too. Feel free to pm me anytime!