Notices

Bumpy ride.....

Old 02-10-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bumpy ride.....

I ran into a colleague yesterday at work, I don’t see him often but we exchange some chat as he works at another site and attended some AA meetings that I did. He enthusitically told me he'd been sober 6 months, I almost wanted to high five the guy I was so happy for him. Standing in the lift (elevator) he asked how long I'd been sober. Nearly 8 months I replied…..yeah but….eyes darting down heavily nodding to my growing baby bump…your pregnant…you have to be and laughed. I paused, looked at him and said no I don’t have to be, I am though. Pregnancy doesn’t give me a 9 month break from being an alcoholic, smiled and got out the lift.

If that had been even 3 months ago I would have been in tears, resenting the fact he made my sobriety and hard work feel so small and worrying I was rude to someone. Today I care not so much.

A wee bit of progess I guess

L x
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

no I don’t have to be, I am though.

D
Old 02-10-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was a tad thoughtless of him, though maybe he just meant it as a little joke?

I doubt he would try and undermine your progress, but in any event at least YOU know that you're doing great, and that's what matters.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Way to go
Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lostinhk View Post
That was a tad thoughtless of him, though maybe he just meant it as a little joke?

I doubt he would try and undermine your progress, but in any event at least YOU know that you're doing great, and that's what matters.
I can for sure take a joke, the point for me was joke or not before I would have taken it personally and wallowed about it for a while. I didnt. I shared how today it doesnt effect me like it would have previously.

Dont mess with a pregnant woman now lostinihk......
Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

FG you are awesome
Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've found that as I have gone through recovery, the past year, my emotions run in every different direction. I've said things without consideration and sometimes acted quite foolishly. It's like going through some sort of rebirth as you learn to deal with life sober, instead of being sedated all the time. It's gets better as time passes. If he is at 6 months, he may be re-awakening and probably feels stupid for a foolish/hurtful remark. Just roll with it since you know that you're sober because you choose to be, not because you have to. Congratulations on your pregnancy.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on the baby! What a better gift than to be sober for your new child! Thats awesome.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on all of your progress. I think you are doing amazing!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That was a great exchange, FG. I especially love your response.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great stuff!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's amazing the dumb stuff that people say, isn't it?

I am getting married next week and will be honeymooning at an all-inclusive resort that a co-worker of mine previously stayed at. This co-worker, aware that I have been sober for over a year, basically said that I am an idiot for not drinking since all of my alcohol at this resort would be "free". He actually said, "you really should start drinking again if you are going to go to this resort." Really? I should? Great advice! Sheesh.

They may know that we are sober, Foolsgold186, they just don't know WHY we are sober. Let's give 'em a pass. They just said something stupid. Happens all the time.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
It's amazing the dumb stuff that people say, isn't it? I am getting married next week and will be honeymooning at an all-inclusive resort that a co-worker of mine previously stayed at. This co-worker, aware that I have been sober for over a year, basically said that I am an idiot for not drinking since all of my alcohol at this resort would be "free". He actually said, "you really should start drinking again if you are going to go to this resort." Really? I should? Great advice! Sheesh. They may know that we are sober, Foolsgold186, they just don't know WHY we are sober. Let's give 'em a pass. They just said something stupid. Happens all the time.
Congratulations on your wedding! Hope you have an amazing day. And a very sober honeymoon!