Notices

Did anyone drink like I did?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did anyone drink like I did?

Can't Sleep tonight so I figured I would post here to pass a little time. I have been to lots of meetings and I have never heard anyone share an expierence with drinking that was similar to mine. I never drank through college and made it to 28 before I started really drinking. I was big into body building and martial arts, always moving. One day I was playing football and broke my ankle. I was stuck on the couch for 6 months and started playing video games to pass the time. That got boring quickly so I decided to try drinking with it. Within 6 months I was drinking daily, and got to a pint of vodka a day. Now the way I drank was I would buy a pint and it would be gone within 45 minutes. I would pass out, wake up, and repeat. When i was at my worst I would lose track of days, thinking its monday when its really thursday. Something would physically have to remove me from the situation, either by ambulance or a family member fire mans carrying me out of the house and taking me to their house before I would quit. Anyone else a "in search of complete oblivion" sort of drinker as I was?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

yo!

didn't start drinking til I was in my 20's...became an after work and weekend binger...got to my 30s and I had a complete health breakdown (not from the drinking) and found myself at home and largely housebound...

I ended up drinking all day everyday for 5 years...I lost track of days...got confused often between dawn and dusk...ate junk food... I was definitely an oblivion seeker.

Only quit cos I nearly died. I'm really glad I did tho - the last 8 years have been awesome

how long ago did you quit, Clayton?

D
Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Coming up on 2 months. Before my last little bender I had 4 months. Fell victim to the ole, "I can drink differently now!" I compared my discipline to body building and dieting I had to the idea that I can control the amount of alcohol I drink. 4 days later I woke up at my brothers house... I guess I had to give it one more go.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank for years and years every single day and never had a problem until about the last 3 or 4 years. Then it was non stop first thing in the morning type thing. I dropped all pretense of a functioning alcoholic. I became a professional drunk. Could only sleep about 5 hours before withdrawl would wake me up. It was hell. I didn't know it could get that bad because I thought I knew everything about being a heavy drinker. So i know how it goes. I'm 42 days sober and it's tough but it's way better than were I was. Hope things are going ok for you.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us fell victim to the idea that maybe this time we could make things end differently...

Good to have you join us

D
Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its good to be here. Much better than being on the other side of it. I sometimes think back on things to keep how bad it was fresh. Once I remember waking up and seeing the clock say 630. I hopped in my car to drive to the liquor store and pulled on the door. It was locked...turned out it was 630 in the moring, not evening. I would have loved to see the look on my face as I stood infront of the liquor store bewildered and confused.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah I usually went for the oblivion.

Some times I set out to get there, sometimes I didn't But ended up there anyway.

But yeah, the physical craving for more and more alcohol in a short time frame was pretty fierce with me.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I'm not alone. Clayton, you are not alone.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have learned it is not how we drank or even how much, it is what it does to our lives and our relationships that is the important part.

Mine started out on weekends but it did not take long to get to daily use. In the end I needed it more than I wanted it. I didn't know how to function with out it.

Congrats on two months, keep coming back.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi clayton621. You’re certainly not alone. I’ve had the same feeling at AA meetings – most people talking about going to bars, partying, and getting DUIs. I’ve always been one who drank at home out of boredom. It started when I was commuting to grad school and still living at home (around age 24). Most of my high school friends had moved on to other cities. I was just isolated and found little comfort without the booze. In my case, it was also vodka. Just because it was cheapest and most effective. My goal was to pass the time and then pass out drunk every night. Also was a big weight lifter in the past and still intend to return to that. Grew up watching Schwarzenegger movies, so go figure. I weigh about 220 and benched 280 (still want to reach 300 though). How about you?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I started drinking as a teenager but yeah I was definitely an oblivion type drinking in my last year or so, and would also have to be physically removed to stop (hospital normally)
I lost track of days constantly, always woke up thinking it was day when it was night or vice versa, drank whatever I had very quickly and passed out then continued no matter the time day or night
So I can relate, and I haven't heard that much at my AA meetings either, though I'm sure there's some that did the same..?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh yes. I drank to oblivion every evening. My goal was to get just short of blacking out. I drank from the minute I walked through the door until the minute my head hit the pillow. It was also vodka and more than a pint. Yikes the hangovers kept getting worse and worse but you can get used to almost anything if you do it enough. I went probably four years without a day not hungover.

I could go on and on but I'll just say that sobriety takes a lot of work and patience but it is so worth it. We are really not participating in the living world when we are drinking every day and drink every night.

In a nutshell, I am no longer physically sick every day. That is reason enough to never drink again.

There comes a point pretty far down the road in alcoholism when sobriety is the easier path than drinking. Drinking always felt like the easy way out but then one day it switched. Sobriety was easier.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think most of us fell victim to the idea that maybe this time we could make things end differently...
Hit the nail on the head there... :P
Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your here Clayton
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TaiCarm View Post
Hi clayton621. You’re certainly not alone. I’ve had the same feeling at AA meetings – most people talking about going to bars, partying, and getting DUIs. I’ve always been one who drank at home out of boredom. It started when I was commuting to grad school and still living at home (around age 24). Most of my high school friends had moved on to other cities. I was just isolated and found little comfort without the booze. In my case, it was also vodka. Just because it was cheapest and most effective. My goal was to pass the time and then pass out drunk every night. Also was a big weight lifter in the past and still intend to return to that. Grew up watching Schwarzenegger movies, so go figure. I weigh about 220 and benched 280 (still want to reach 300 though). How about you?
I have found my ideal weight to be at 185, so i strive to be as strong as I can while maintaining that weight. Im in the military so being strong and agile are in my best interst. I was amazing how quickly drinking, even for only 6 months completly zapped 10 years of gains. They came back quick but when I got well enough to get back in the gym it was like i was starting over. I workout on bench with 225, but due to all of my friends horror stories of hurting their shoulders maxing on bench I have stayed away from maxing... maybe one day I will give it a go!

Thanks to everyones responses. I enjoying waking up a reading what everyone had to say...better way to wake up that way then to wake up hung over and shaking! Off to meeting now! Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to go Clayton. As other's have said, you are not alone. We are all in this together.

Stay on the sober side of today!

Glad you are here with us.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I injected vodka toward the end because life below .20 BAC was intolerable. There was always 120 cc or so in a bottle somewhere and since it was clear, sterile enough for me. I preferred drinking as explaining bee stings in december wasn't washing well.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I dont think I ever not drank to oblivion.

Good luck, and glad you're taking steps to make a difference.