So today he says....

Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So today he says....

Yesterday evening he got in his van and left without saying where he was going, he didn't come home all night. I'm assuming he stayed at his son's house, but really who knows.

Considering that he's drinking and driving and I hadn't heard from him by 11am, I texted him "assuming you're not dead or in jail?"

He texted back that he was working. Then he texted that today his new life starts. I asked him what that meant. He said quitting drinking. So I texted him back "well, good luck, sincerely. I hope you have a sober support system set up and will be going to AA. Honestly I'm worried that you may need a medical detox at this point."

He tests back saying thanks for the encouragement. (meaning it in a negative way, that I wasn't being encouraging)

I predict his new life ends within 48 hours.......

15 or so years ago he quit cold turkey and was successful for a few years, but his alcoholism has progressed so much more in the years since.
PLUS I'm sure he will continue smoking pot daily since it helps his back pain from slipped and herniated discs way more than any pain pills ever have....

Sober or not, I'm still leaving when I am able to.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkpeony View Post
I predict his new life ends within 48 hours.......
I think you're being generous.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

probably am being generous, Refiner
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am always surprised by these folks that just "leave" to go on benders.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
What he says and what he does are likely orthogonal to each other...
Old 02-09-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope for his sake he sticks with the sober way of living and gets the help he needs...my AH also smokes pot on a regular basis...he says it helps him "deal" with me....they always have to justify their way of living...except I am not willing to accept that I am the reason. He needs to own that. hang in there...
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was still in contact with my axbf he told me on New Year's Eve that it was the start of a new life for him- he was done with drinking, he was going to get healthy, etc etc etc.
I said good for him and I really hoped that he actually followed through with it although he didn't need new year to change his life it could be done at any point. He told me in response to that I was being negative, I never encouraged him etc etc etc. I thought I was just being honest and realistic and after months and months of the alcohol and abuse I was entitled to be at least cautious.

I don't know if he is drunk or sober now as I cut contact but I do know that his new life didn't begin after new year as he was on and off the wagon for the following months culminating in me having to go no contact with him.

I do hope for your sake that he means what he says but I am glad that you are feeling strong to stand your position either way, and are not expecting miracles like I did so many times. Good for you, and stay strong.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pink,
Maybe now that he is "not" drinking, he will bring home some food.

I hope he means what he says!!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anyways it's just mind games.........