Notices

I hate alcohol

Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate alcohol

I was just thumbing through the family and friends section and am deeply saddened. Alcohol just tears up family, friends, relationships... It is useless, rotted fruit that taste nasty. It is an addictive, money making, socially acceptable poison. You mix it with juice to make it taste better in a lot of cases. Humans are instinctually programmed to not eat or drink something that taste vile. It's a survival mechanism. Yuck. I'm so glad I sobered up. That was a sad life I left behind.

Jennifer
Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep reading, though. There is a lot of good information and wisdom in F & F.

Living with an alcoholic is no picnic - but sometimes even when they sober up it isn't enough. I know you are struggling with your other half who drinks. You deserve a peaceful, productive life, cg.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I will Bimini. It's just sad to see so many people suffering.
I have detached from my situation. I have started finding new things to do instead I worrying about the other person. He is quite functional, so for now it goes unnoticed by my daughter. He falls asleep early (pAsses out) so I can watch what I want, play video games, read, meditate. I hate his beer breath but if I elbow him he rolls the other way. I'm starting to live life without him, and I'm actually happy!
I'm getting stronger, healthier, smarter and life is becoming fun again. I actually went rollerskating for the first time in 25 years!
I am starting to not feel codependent. That is what leads me from one toxic relationship to another. So I'm saving money, very little for now but it's better than nothing. If a miracle happens, he will shape up. If not and I decide to leave, it's ok.

Jennifer
Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is really sad.

Alcoholism is progressive, as you know. As long as they drink, it's likely to continue to get worse, not better.

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. Skating sounds so fun!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

CG, thank you for the post. I initially came to SR because of my husband's drinking and stayed for my own. Once I started working on my co dependent issues, and I'm still very much a work in progress, it helped with my own recovery and sobriety.

Alcohol is pretty poison. It's not for us. You are doing really well.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Ruby. It sounds like you are too.

Bimini, it was fun. I finally found an exercise that isn't like work. And it gives me mommy daughter time which is great!

Jennifer
Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

CountryGirl,

Thank you for this post, Your right about Alcohol its poison. I had to choose one the hardest thing in my life to get sober, one was I couldn't take care of my Kids another reason I had to say good by to friends that I know for 6 years cause all they wanted to do is go to bars and drink and listen to music.

But, I keep telling myself that if they were friends they would understand the choice I had to make and be still part of my life by doing other things beside drinking. But I was wrong they never supported me.

Looking back at it, I am glad I did cause I know that ill make New Friends and New things in my life to over come this drinking problem.

Life is to short, and sometimes you have to choose hard judgment's in life to understand what is best for you.

I am glad you are sober too!!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am glad you did too! So proud of you!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a jen too!
Not sure why I felt the need to write that, there's just 3 Jens already on this thread

I had to break up a relationship with someone I adored to get sober.
Not fun

Best wishes xoxo
Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I dont hate alcohol but i do hate this addiction/disease/illness
Old 02-09-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I dont hate alcohol but i do hate this addiction/disease/illness
I agree with soberwolf, you can't dislike the product. Part of my recovery is to accept that people enjoy alcohol and it provides a fun time for the majority of users. In part this is what makes it very difficult to quit, because it is socially acceptable.
For the few of us who develop a dependency and abuse the product it is nothing short of hell. But we are in the minority, and if some sort of prohibition was placed on it then a whole new set of problems crop up in society.
In other words, we are our own keeper and must do whatever it takes to help ourselves.