Notices

Anger is like another DRUG

Old 02-09-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Anger is like another DRUG

In need of how to control my temper.I'm grateful that I woke up clean and sober today but due to my temper I'm unemployed.If there's anyone out there who could give me some solutions I could use it now..Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Boosie; 02-09-2015 at 06:19 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 02-09-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

How long have you been clean and sober?

Our emotions are a roller coaster in early sobriety. I used drinking like a cork to keep my anger bottled in. When I got sober, I could jump into a rage at a moments notice.

Just knowing what I was going through helped. Not reacting to the anger was important. I allowed myself to be angry, I didn't allow anger to drive me to make stupid decisions or take actions I would later regret.

Google "anger management techniques"
Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. When I was in early sobriety I had a lot of anger. I still explode once in a while. If I find myself ready to blow I take deep rhythmic breaths and relax my shoulders. I take a quick walk. I write it out or by venting to an understanding friend.

Most everyone has certain routines in their life. Distrupting my routine sometimes throws me off and I get angry. I know enough now To predict when it will happen and how to manage. What can I do in advance to keep things on track.

Walking away helps. Not rising to the bait is crucial. I also had to accept my role in things. What did I contribute? What did I have control over and what did I have to accept? Saying the serenity prayer helped too.

Good luck. Keep posting.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is a scientific fact fits of anger and rage typically last 20-30 minutes. This is how I got mine under control.
I try and walk away. With time this gets easier. I go sit in the basement an breathe deep until it passes. And it takes 20-30 minutes. Count the breaths as you go. This will focus your thoughts else where.

Jennifer
Old 02-09-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Boosie nice to meet you,

I try to take myself out the situation, go for a quiet refreshing walk, meditate, write it down phone somebody ask about them it really helps

You could buy a book ive suggested before on here called the chimp paradox by dr steve peters it is a exellent read and makes a lot of sense it really helps

Sorry about your job
Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I had a very wise supervisor who once made me answer the question "Would you rather get what you want or say what you want?"

When I answered "I'd rather get what I want" he pointed out that when I say what I want I don't get what I want. That really sank in.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of good books and articles on anger management. You don't have to live like that.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a great topic! I have been crazy angry the past few days, and been told to deep breath , take a walk, use a tapping technique where you sit and tap your hands slowly on top of your thighs to slow down the mind. It works! Thank you all for this topic