Notices

Not your common drunk... Or perhaps I am?

Old 02-08-2015, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not your common drunk... Or perhaps I am?

Hi all, I came across this forum when I was doing some research on antabuse - where I could get some, as I have a prescription for them.
I'm here to read about others experiences and possibly use it as a place I can come to help avoid moments of weakness.
I say not your common drunk because the image of a drunk I have is someone who needs a drink when they wake up and will drink whenever they have a craving.
I don't have a physical compulsion to drink and can go weeks and months at a time. I drink when I'm by myself, which is a problem because when I do drink I do so until i'm black out drunk, which has led to some bad experiences.
This is why I am trying antabuse. So when I'm by myself I have a reason not to drink.
Thanks all.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The definition of a drinking problem has more to do with the consequences of your drinking than the amount. A person who only drinks once a week but wreaks havoc on their life every time they do can be considered a problem drinker. At least part of you thinks you have a problem or you wouldn't be here. Anyway welcome. Everyone here is really cool and helpful. Bet you find many others with the same experiences you've had.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome DrunkenDonuts
I say not your common drunk because the image of a drunk I have is someone who needs a drink when they wake up and will drink whenever they have a craving.
I guess by that criteria I was a 'common drunk' lol (I'm not offended by the term )

but I started off my drinking career pretty much like this:

I don't have a physical compulsion to drink and can go weeks and months at a time. I drink when I'm by myself, which is a problem because when I do drink I do so until i'm black out drunk, which has led to some bad experiences.
so it's good you've found us. I think stopping drinking will be a great decision for you

D
Old 02-08-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

DD, welcome. One think I've learned here is that there is no typical drunk. If your bingeing is having undesirable consequences for your life or health, and you want to stop but can't then you belong here.

Why not talk to your doctor about it? It was my first step. He/she might prescribe Antabuse, but many people stop without it but with support such as SR.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome DD.

You' ll find lots of support and understanding here.

Guess I wasn't a "common drunk" either - only drank in the evenings.

Good to have to you here.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind welcome folks.

I have already got a prescription for antabuse and I know I have a problem because when I binge I really go to town. 6 bottles of rum in 2 days then sleeping it off for 2 days is not healthy - and missing work isn't cool. Luckily here we have doctors who will visit you at home or I'd be fired by now.

I'll hang around and see how I go. Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Why not talk to your doctor about it? It was my first step. He/she might prescribe Antabuse, but many people stop without it but with support such as SR.
Thanks FeelingGreat. Have already been dealing with this for years.

Could you tell me what SR is?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. Our drinking habits can vary. I never had a morning drink either but I drank every night. I never even had one before 4 pm but my nightly drinking caused health problems, relationship problems, and was starting to cause problems with my work.

I have to say the actual reason I stopped was because drinking heavily every night made me feel like absolute garbage every day. I felt horrible all the time. We all find our reason to stop. If you can go months without any compulsion to drink that's great. That should give you a nice running start.

I couldn't stop until drinking became harder than not drinking. Are you there yet?

When I compare my story to others on here I can always find some differences. I was just reading about someone who had delirium tremendous (DT's) and seizures but his liver was fine when he got it checked out by a doctor. I never had DT's and I've never had a seizure but I did some serious damage to my liver. Who'd have thought that was possible? I've never had a DUI or even missed a day of work but I was killing my body and would have been dead in a few years and I'm only 32. We come in all shapes and sizes.

What I have in common with the DT's and seizures guy is that drinking was causing terrible problems in our lives so we made the decision that we couldn't drink alcohol anymore and we don't.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Could you tell me what SR is?
SR is a support group for people with addictions who want to stop using/drinking. You will find a lot of support here from people who have been where you are now. Some of us have many years of sobriety and are open to any questions you may have.

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SR=sober recovery
Old 02-08-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DrunkenDonuts I wasn't a "common drunk" either, I only drank wine and not before 6pm unless there was a special event during the day. I always poured my wine into a wine glass, I rinsed the bottles when done and put them into the recycling bin, even when finding the recycling bin took considerable effort.

I washed my wine glass even when the tap was un-co-operative, then I would wash my face no matter how long it took.

When I woke up I had the same hangovers as everyone else and then, sick to my stomach, I'd do it all over again.

Then I found SR, two years ago, then I became free.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by DrunkenDonuts View Post
Luckily here we have doctors who will visit you at home or I'd be fired by now.

I'll hang around and see how I go. Thanks again!
Really? I thought they went out when I was a kid, lol. How often do you need to binge?

SR is Sober Recovery, the forum we're on. I credit it with helping me stay sober for 3 years come April.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yes, you are a common drunk. There are no uncommon drunks. When drinking has negative affects, you become a common drunk. Luckily the solution is simple.

I don't drink.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it might be an idea to let go of labels. I don't like labels either.

Does alcohol cause problems in your life? It sounds as if it does. The solution is to stop drinking and we can help.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

maybe this rings a bell ?

The ‘Periodic’ Alcoholic

Written December 17, 2013 by National Addiction Help
Categories: National Addiction Helpline

No Comments »

There are various different types of alcoholics nowadays. There are the ‘Functioning’ alcoholics, typically the business people of corporate America who consume to drown their challenges but are able to continue fulfilling work. There are the ‘Falling down useless’ alcoholics who drink therefore much every single day which they don’t even make sense in their talk or their activities all the time. And then there is the ‘Periodic’ alcoholic. The ‘Periodic’ alcohol is one of the most troubling alcoholics of.

‘Periodic’ alcoholics will also be known as ‘binge’ alcoholics or ‘bingers.’ These are the alcoholics that screen alcoholic behaviors and actions for certain periods of time but then tidy up their act for another extended amount of time by which they’re able to persuade a large amount of people that they don’t have a drinking problem. And though they might not be drinking, they still have that alcoholic change just waiting to be activated and create havoc.

A ‘regular’ alcohol can easily fool you into thinking they’re secure and together as they can go months if not over a year without touching an individual drop of alcohol. They can seem entirely in control, and then they’ll start drinking. And because they avoid alcohol for way too long, they often lose complete control once they finally do start drinking again which could result in some of the worst alcoholic behaviors and incidents conceivable.

The ‘regular’ alcohol isn’t someone who has achieved sobriety but sometimes relapses. An occasional alcoholic for one of the most part, does not think they are alcoholic. It’s maybe not unusual to get a periodic to go weeks without incident and then simply take one drink. Any particular one drink allows the alcoholism loose again for however long it lasts. A ‘regular’ alcoholic is still a complete alcoholic until they do the job to accomplish consistent sobriety and stay in sobriety.

The ‘periodic’ alcohol may be incredibly dangerous to themselves and the others because when they drink they drink in great amounts that severely affect their ability to function. As oppose to your ‘functioning’ alcoholic who usually gets moderately drunk then sobers around purpose, a ‘regular’ alcoholic will drink themselves into stupors, unconsciousness, and often even into death. ‘Periodic’ alcoholics frequently drink such high volumes that they:
Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What's a common drunk?

If you're here to get help for a drinking problem, you've come to a good place. Welcome.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, DrunkenDonuts, to SR.

Alcoholics come in all shapes and sizes. The good news is that all shapes and sizes can heal and move forward.

Let the healing begin. Sobriety is truly wonderful.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not trying to make light of your situation, but the term "common" drunk reminded me of a silly joke -

Why wouldn't the Queen Potato marry Walter Cronkite?
Because he was a "commentator"

(I told you it was silly)
Old 02-08-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Into the Void

DD,

While you may not damage your body and job prospects to the same extent as daily alcoholics, you are still playing russian roulette with your life if you drink to blackout - depending on your behaviors you may risk auto and other accidents, assaults, arrest, drug overdose, social embarrassment, and loss of friends. Not to mention the terror of not knowing what you did the night before. It ain't worth it, my friend. Ask me how I know.

You can do this!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

First of all congrats on trying to do something about your drinking. I, myself have just joined SR. Sick and tired of being sick and tired. I can related to the uncommon drunk thing. I always struggled with thinking of myself as a drunk or an alcoholic. I only drank wine and at only at night. but too many blackouts to count. It's ridiculous how "it" has a hold on me, on us....NO MORE.

As far as Antabuse, I have used it and had wineless days and weeks. But, it only works if you take it...
I had no side effects from the drug ( at least that I am aware of). You will get sick if you drink while taking it. It takes about 2 weeks to get out of your system. I didn't take it everyday. I used it more "as needed" which by the way doesn't work for long term sobriety. A few times when a drank after weaning off the Antabuse, I would get really hot, red blotches all over me especially my neck and face, bloodshot eyes and rapid heart beat..scary! Don't do what I did. If you really want to quit drinking you need to take it everyday and get involved with support. And most of be honest with yourself...you have a drinking problem and you can't drink at all....I finally had that talk with myself this morning. Going to AA tonight...big step for me...I am a professional, born-again christian woman, wife, mother... I put it off for so long. Because of what people expect from me and the shame was more than I could bear, but I don't care anymore. I'm taking my life back. I heard someone say that 1 drink is too much and 100 is not enough...so true for me. I hoping to go back on Antabuse the right way this time.. Good luck and feel free to reach out.