What did you do for someone else today?

Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What did you do for someone else today?

I stayed with DS8 at his climbing lesson today, instead of desperately taking a bit of me time, and wound up thankful for sharing the time with him. Did stretches with the group but far away at first. Finally kicked off my boots & joined in with them. Took a few photos of DS and the others. This was a big step for me.

I went to an Alanon meeting. Someone shared that part of being of service is simply showing up and being there. I needed to hear that. What a great reminder that I'm doing for others in ways I don't always recognize!

I listened to DS when he needed me.

I dried coffee cups.

I stayed for the business meeting. As a recovering, controlling, co-dependent it's best for me not to jump in and volunteer too much. It's also important for me to connect with others and find a way to get out of my own head and my own problems. I did volunteer to co-share lining up people to help with the meetings. Most times this takes care of itself.

DS picked up a stray hat in a parking lot and put it on a table outside the store. Maybe it'll be found by the owner or someone else who can use it.

Doesn't feel like much, but enough for today. Nothing big, nothing earth-shattering, but small ways to do for others that wasn't at the expense of myself. Ironically, there was enough time to do these things and now I have more time today than most days. As I do for others, I also gain immense sense of being a part of. Now I see that's the gift for myself.

Did you do something for someone else today? Small things count and so does recognizing them.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What did I do for others today?

Picked up breakfast for my bf before he woke up.
Took my dogs to the park.
Fed and cleaned up after everyone.
Did bf's laundry.
Picked up the dogs' $50 dog food and valentine's toys.
Cleaned the yard.
Ordered dinner.
Cleaned up kitchen.

Oh, and I drove to the post office and returned a W2 form that mistakenly was delivered to my house.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Now to add in, what did we also do for ourselves?

Did you do those things just because you wanted to? I'm learning balance and it's it's REALLY hard.

What did someone do for you today?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For myself: I laughed. I cried.
I gave myself the gift of good food and laying down my concerns about tomorrow, next week, this summer and next year.

What others gave to me:
My son gave my some unexpected hugs.
My sponsor gave me hugs and her time.
Some people at Alanon talked with me.
Someone held a door open for me at a store.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MissFixIt, I'm sure someone will really appreciate getting that W2! Did you have a good day? (((Hugs)))
Old 02-07-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally agree that it's about balance! I find that I do too much for my mother whom I live with, and of course, my two daughters (8 & 12) as a single mom, plus working...

I have found that I need to ask my daughters to do more and to tell my mom that I need to do things for myself instead of always doing what she needs. Does anyone else here experience the weird phenomena like me, where I feel I have trained those around me to believe that I am always available to them and that I will do anything they ask? Like I am expected to.... I mean, everyone in my life. Drawing the line between when to do for others and when to do for myself comes down to learning the word NO. Until I can grasp that, I'm going to have a hard time extending myself to doing for others in a charitable way. And I'd really like to....
Old 02-07-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Once a week, I go to my favorite diner to check in with my favorite waitress. She's been battling cancer for the past year or so. So she talked, I listened, and I gave her a hug and a kiss before I left.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmmm.

I worked with the actor Matt Mcgorry today. He was in a robe only. I had a chance to look up it and I didn't.

So I did something respectful for someone else, and I guess did nothing for myself. LOL
Old 02-07-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My agoraphobia kept me mostly indoors today but I saw one of the neighborhood stray kitties by the house and I made sure he was well fed with tuna and dry food. I think they're getting used to me, he didn't run and hide this time.

My life is really sad... :/
Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Titian)))

Baby steps. Recovery isn't a race. You are as important as everyone else.

What you did was important to that kitty!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IT was super lovely where I live today. I enjoyed it. I did some sweet things for my kid today. RAH is gone, so we are both decompressing from Mr Pinesol. But we both swiped at some dirt and tackled the laundry.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I can't leave my house because my Crohn's Disease has me trapped, but I did donate the equivalent of two movie tickets and snacks to the local battered women's shelter - and noted on my donation that this was to make up for all those poor women going to see Fifty Shades of Grey and thinking that's what love and romance look like.

Last edited by NWGRITS; 02-07-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I'm making a larger donation when my tax money comes in!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

what did you do for someone else today

I went with my son to help clear brush to prepare place for group to build fence so special need children will get to ride horses in a safe area. I hope to help with taking the children around once its done.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post

What did someone do for you today?
This question stood out to me because yesterday was my functional AH's bday and HE took me and the girls shopping! He NEVER and I mean NEVER wants to go shopping, just in and out, get what I need and we go home. Nope, this time he took us shopping and bought us all a little something on HIS birthday. And that might sound like a set up for some people but we had a fantastic family outing with no drama so I will just take it as one of those days can go down in our memory book. We actually had fun.

Now, what did I do for others, well I was a Mom and a Wife that removed her feelings of worry and relaxed and enjoyed time with my little family.

Thanks for this post! It is a good reminder of all things we do and should do for ourselves and others!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Syd

I cooked a lovely dinner for my family last night. Played games with the kids afterwards.
Watched a movie with AH.
Went to bed early (doing something for me).
Turned the light on at 2:30am to keep AH from going through our 2nd-story bedroom window, thinking it was the door to the bathroom. That should count for something, right? I mean, I seriously considered feigning sleep, not helping prevent injury/death.
Today is back to basic mom jobs and caring for the dogs.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
MissFixIt, I'm sure someone will really appreciate getting that W2! Did you have a good day? (((Hugs)))
I bet so.

I did have a good day. Yesterday and so far today. We went out for breakfast this morning, so that was nice. Took the dogs to the park again (they go almost everyday. Some days they go to the beach. Poor pups!)