Notices

Panic attacks

Old 02-07-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks

I've been suffering from pretty debilitating panic attacks since getting sober (actually, this has been an ongoing issue for my entire life -- I was just medicating it away with alcohol for years). Well, they have come back with a vengeance.

I have seen a doctor about it, had tests run, etc. and been assured there "is nothing organic going on."

So how do I tame my own mind????? How can I quiet it? I feel like I'm losing my mind. My stomach hurts, heart is pounding, mind is racing.

I thought maybe coming here would help. Several things seem to have been the triggering events for this:

1.) Found out someone I know is dying of liver cancer. Like, has days to live. This came on virtually overnight.

2.) My career is an awful mess. I am slowly picking up the pieces, but it's going to take a long time to get better.

3.) I'm scared there's something wrong with my liver. I don't mean for this to sound like I'm asking for medical advice. I have been to the doctor and had it checked, and he said it was fine. I told him the truth about my drinking. But now I'm worrying that he didn't run enough tests (I'm wishing he'd done a CT Scan to look at my liver). I know this is probably directly related to finding out that someone I know has liver cancer. But I am terrified. I abused my liver in the worst way and I am terrified that I am going to pay a huge price for this.

4.) My house is wreck. I am not at home right now, and I don't even want to go home because then I will have to face the pile of crap I need to clean.

5.) I have been doing everything one day at a time (sobriety, re-establishing my career, repairing relationships). But for some reason I keep wishing I could have all the results RIGHT THIS MINUTE. Stupid, I know.

Okay, I feel a little better. Thanks for listening.

Does anyone else get panic attacks and/or rampant liver fears?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wanted to add that I am not taking any sort of benzo or anything for my panic attacks. Just an anti-depressant. My doctor did offer up that option, but I've been down that road before and was not interested in taking benzos again. For starters, I know those pills are highly addictive -- just because I didn't previously have a problem with them, doesn't mean I wouldn't now. (There used to be a time in my life when I didn't have a problem with alcohol, after all.) And secondly, I tried two different benzo prescriptions over the years and all they did was make me fall asleep. I would almost rather be awake and panicked than yawning all day long struggling to keep my eyes open.

Does anyone have any alternative/natural health suggestions? For example, I know about deep breathing and avoiding caffeine (which I haven't been doing -- in fact, I just drank several cups of coffee back to back, which I'm sure is partially to blame for this).

What other things could help? A hot bath? A long walk? A phone call to a friend?

These might sound like obvious suggestions, but I can't think clearly right now and I'm just not sure what to do. I know this will sound stupid, but despite suffering from panic attacks off and on for 20+ years (and despite consulting multiple doctors about it) I know shockingly little about cognitive options for getting a hold of anxiety.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Antidepressants sometimes backfire and cause more anxiety/panic as a side effect.

Talk to your Dr, you might need to try a different medication.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also have panic attacks at times and have for many years. Like you, I won't take anything for them because it's just not the solution for me because this is an ongoing thing. I rely on music, my cats and walking and I get through. Meditation can help a lot, but I'm not totally dedicated to meditating. Yoga is helpful, too.

There are two books that have helped me a lot:

"From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett
"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns MD
Old 02-07-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I also have panic attacks at times and have for many years. Like you, I won't take anything for them because it's just not the solution for me because this is an ongoing thing. I rely on music, my cats and walking and I get through. Meditation can help a lot, but I'm not totally dedicated to meditating. Yoga is helpful, too.

There are two books that have helped me a lot:

"From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett
"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns MD
Thank you. I will be checking out those books right away.

Also, the yoga suggestion was so helpful. I used to do yoga back when I was in college, and I'd forgotten how it was such an incredible tool in helping with my anxiety. I seriously had forgotten all about it, and it used to be a huge part of my life! Isn't that crazy? It's almost like I led an entirely different life before alcohol took over and burned all of that down to the ground.

I used to listen to music whenever I felt scared or stressed or when life felt like it was too overwhelming. It was one of the most effective "cures" I've ever found. And, like with yoga, I hardly do that anymore.

It's really insane what this "cunning, baffling and powerful" monster can do to us.

I saw some sign the other day that said, "Life wants you back" in reference to addiction. I really do feel like that all the time -- I think, all the time, about how I had NO life when I was abusing alcohol.

I also think, too that, "My brain wants me back" if that makes sense. I feel like I lost my brain by drinking -- all of my talents, all of my abilities, everything good I had to offer the world, all of my knowledge, skills, etc. disappeared when I was using alcohol.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I responded on your other thread about liver fears!!

But on a more general note on anxiety, I learnt that alcohol was the root cause of my anxiety, when I quit alcohol, there were a few rough weeks that I had to make it through, but after that as my body adjusted away from alcohol over the next few months my anxiety over many aspects of life subsided.

Sobriety is a learning curve in itself, rediscovering ourselves, new hobbies, rekindling old interests, there is a certain uncomfortableness that came with Sobriety in the initial period, a complete change of life I guess can do that!!

But as I mentioned, time was a wonderful thing in terms of healing, hang in there!!
Old 02-07-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had panic attacks whenever I came off a drinking binge. Sober now but get bouts of anxiety out of no where sometimes. Not quite panic attack, but close. I take no meds, no booze anymore, the only thing that works for me is to get out and walk. Even just a short 15 min walk to the store down the street seems to calm me down. Distraction and change of scenery calms me very quickly.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Actually I just had my first panic attack this week the day after a binge drink.
I hope I never have one of those again.
My sober friend told me she had them regularly when drinking, now 3 years sober she hasn't had but one since she quit.
Did you have them when drinking? Sounds like you should see a doc or a professional if you haven't. How long have you been sober? If not long, perhaps they are drinking related....no way to know until you get help.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry I see you answered some of the questions I asked. Maybe a second opinion would be advisable!!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I really agree with Anna Night n day
Old 02-07-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi nightday

I was in the same place as you all the symptoms you describe I have hade over the last few months I also have the AD meds daily and they started to work after a few weeks but I had to put in a lot of effort and schedule my life better to get the benefit. I found my mind was causing all the issues and had to calmdown when I was feeling anxiety I had to breath and relax it can only last for a while and I was told when it comes on it can't get any worse it has happened and will go.

The mind has been for me the thing that takes the most time to recover but keep posting and keep telling yourself it is all natural in the recovery process I can assure you it gets better just take one day at a time.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I cut down on caffeine and substituted herbal and decaf green tea and it helps a lot. I am a fairly anxious person anyway but it's much better not drinking.Good luck!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've always been an anxious person but as my drinking increased over the years the anxiety turned into panic attacks. So first off it's great that you have stopped drinking because drinking will make them so much more frequent and worse.
Since I've stopped drinking (a little over 3 months) the panic attacks are almost gone. I still have anxiety on some days but to keep it from morphing into full blown panic I exercise and limit my caffeine. Aim for 20-30mins of walking hiking or whatever you can do to elevate your heart rate. Exercise releases 'feel good' endorphins and if done regularly does wonders for depression and anxiety. Also, if you find yourself in the midst of a panic attack go for a brisk walk. That always works for me. Switch to black tea green tea or decaf coffee if you can. And also eat a healthy diet, lots of fruits, veggies avoid too much processed sugars. Another thing I do is take a b vitamin which seems to help. I hope it gets better for you. I know how awful panic attacks can be.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm the queen of anxiety and panic attacks I've had them for over 30 years. Drinking made anxiety and panic 100x worse. Since being sober (69 days), things are 100x better!

I had MAJOR health anxiety (i.e liver, heart issues, cancer...) while drinking and shortly after getting sober. Going to a doctor for a full check up and getting a clean bill of health quelled the health anxiety. Also, I threw myself back into weightlifting, eating properly and getting plenty of cardio exercise. I also see a therapist on a weekly basis (primarily due to the death of my son).

You've identified your triggers, so that's a good starting point. Reach out for help to get things jump started. The more you work through issues, rather than being paralyzed with fear, the more you'll feel better.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great suggestions here NightNDay

Here's some of the things I do:

Self-help tips for panic attacks and panic disorder

When it comes to panic attacks, professional treatment and therapy can make a big difference. But there are many things you can do to help yourself, too:

Learn about panic. Simply knowing more about panic can go a long way towards relieving your distress. So read up on anxiety, panic disorder, and the fight-or-flight response experienced during a panic attack. You’ll learn that the sensations and feelings you have when you panic are normal and that you aren’t going crazy.
Avoid smoking and caffeine. Smoking and caffeine can provoke panic attacks in people who are susceptible. As a result, it’s wise to avoid cigarettes, coffee, and other caffeinated beverages. Also be careful with medications that contain stimulants, such as diet pills and non-drowsy cold medications.
Learn how to control your breathing. Hyperventilation brings on many sensations (such as lightheadedness and tightness of the chest) that occur during a panic attack. Deep breathing, on the other hand, can relieve the symptoms of panic. By learning to control your breathing, you develop a coping skill that you can use to calm yourself down when you begin to feel anxious. If you know how to control your breathing, you are also less likely to create the very sensations that you are afraid of.
Practice relaxation techniques. When practiced regularly, activities such as yoga, meditation, and progressive muscle relaxation strengthen the body’s relaxation response—the opposite of the stress response involved in anxiety and panic. And not only do these relaxation practices promote relaxation, but they also increase feelings of joy and equanimity. So make time for them in your daily routine

Panic Attacks and Panic Disorder: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
some great breathing exercises here:

Breathing Exercises

and some relaxation things here:
http://umm.edu/programs/sleep/patients/relaxation

D
Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't really have any advice to give you or anything, but wanted you to know you're definitely not alone. I stopped drinking 8-ish days ago & have been having panic attacks from hell multiple times a day. They interfer with work, school, everything in my life. There's really nothing that helps me when I've gone into full blown panic mode, but in general I've been taking hot baths with lavender & drinking chamomile tea. Don't know how much help it is, but hoping they go away with some prolonged sobriety. Good luck to you.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Any kind of exercise helps me. I mean just doing 1 minute of jumping jacks in my living room kind of things. When I get panicked, it is usually me focusing on something stressful(real or not) and getting my heart rate up and tiring my muscles even a little, calms me.

This is just me, may not work for you but if you can, try it. Physical activity releases chemicals into our bodies that over rule the brain, kinda like catching a buzz. It takes longer, but works better, for me.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is completely normal. Push through it. Panic and fear will end.