Notices

Late night craving

Old 02-07-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Late night craving

Hi again everyone hope you're all doing well.
So I've been finding it hard to sleep because of regret that I have over losing my job and opportunities that I've messed up.
I end up wanting to drink but I know it's no good won't solve anything I should know that's what Ive done for the past 4 years but am happy to say I haven't succumbed to drinking again.
So what would you guys and girls recommend doing should I go to the doctors for sleeping pills or try and force myself to sleep?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Stu, can't sleep here either. I don't think we can force ourselves to sleep. Just let it come, try to relax and clear your thoughts. I know, hard to do.

I'm battling cravings too. It's tough, bc I know booze would put me right to sleep. I also think you should try to avoid the sleeping pills. Good luck
Old 02-07-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stu

I think most of us find our insomnia sorts itself out naturally. Mine did.
There are some useful ideas here though:

www.umm.edu/programs/sleep/patients/relaxation

Try not to go over and over old stuff. The bottom line is whats done is done. Wishing it was otherwise is wasted energy. Use that energy to make the most of whatever comes your way from now on

My life is nothing like I planned it - but that's a good thing, cos I love how things have turned out

D
Old 02-07-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee. Early days can be rough on sleep.

But if it's an ongoing thing, do see your doctor. Tiredness will grind at your resolve badly.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Stu ,
sleeping at the beginning was difficult , all or nothing … Acceptance was what i found helped .. if i was awake i used it to read the stories of people here . It got there after a bit of time … how far into recovery are you ?

I tried to limit the tea and the coffee …

As for fretting over the past or wording over the future , i find both of those can stop me enjoying or dealing with now ,,, and i have to stay sober now … So learning how to healthily cope with resentments and worries is an important part of being able to live sober .

keep on

m
Old 02-07-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies means a lot stay awesome. I stopped drinking at the beginning of January so I'll give sum more time so my body can adjust.

That's why I stopped drinking because I would miss the present because of feeling low about past regrets and drinking was a quick way to solve my problem at the time but it only makes things worse.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with all of the above! To be honest, I'm finding I am having to relearn how to get to sleep. I guess my brain and body are so used to passing out that now getting into bed and lying in the dark thinking, "Ok, what now?" is difficult to deal with!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stu1988 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies means a lot stay awesome. I stopped drinking at the beginning of January so I'll give sum more time so my body can adjust.

That's why I stopped drinking because I would miss the present because of feeling low about past regrets and drinking was a quick way to solve my problem at the time but it only makes things worse.
For me getting sober was not the hard part. Dealing with the reck I have created is what the hard work is about. But we pilled the mountain of "crap" one shovel at a time, now we have to clean it one shovel at a time.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I completely relate, sober since mid jan and my sleep is very off. I agree our bodies probably just need time to adjust and get used to things again without alcohol
I've been listening to AA speakers (or sometimes the radio) on my phone while in bed because the silence makes my head go nuts and can't sleep, if I have that on I relax and listen to their stories and fall asleep feeling positive about sobriety. I know lots of people read until too tired not to sleep, or warm baths first can help, I think it's a matter of trying lots of things and seeing what works for you, while also having some patience for our poor bodies and minds that are trying to heal! Obsessing over the past is part of that too, I think.
Hope you sleep well tonight!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's differcult to start with am sure it will get better like everyone says just got to keep are thoughts on the positives.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stu,

My two cents. Exercise. walking or whatever you like to do to get the body working, breathing, get the blood pumping, working up a sweat if you can work up to that. It will help make you tired (and sleepy later) and it's also the world's best medicine. A doctor said if you could put exercise in a bottle it would be the most prescribed medicine in the world.

And also caffeine and sugars (even carbs) will sneak up on you and get you all wired. Some people say to stay away from that stuff later in the day, but like, for me, if I have even one coffee first thing in the morning, it will wreck my sleep even sixteen hours later.

And I have seen this quote on here but I don't know who to attribute it to:

When the past calls, let it go to voicemail. It has nothing new to say.

~~~~~~~~ I love repeating that one to myself. It's like an instant fix every time - - - - until next time.

There's another from a Wayne Dyer book where he quotes someone else; something like this:

It is not the present that drives (men) mad. It's regret over the past and anxiety over the future.

We need to learn to live in the present which, often is not really so bad. And a little planning now and then for the future, but you really have to watch out for that bad ole past. There are pleasant things we can reflect on, which is great fun, but there's the bad stuff, which is crazy-making. You really have to be on your toes against that one. You may not be able to stop if from coming to mind, but you can control whether you ruminate on it.

Drinking only makes things worse. Just don't drink.

Best wishes
Old 02-07-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

. . . you may not be able to stop "it" . . . .
Old 02-07-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've started going to the gym a few days ago it should help with keeping me busy and fit.
Love that quote also thanks for the advice.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have been walking and going to the gym. That has helped me.