Notices

Any bar band musicians out there?

Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any bar band musicians out there?

It's been my number one struggle over the years. I've played sober for years at a time, but eventually, if other things lose priority, free drinks and environment win out.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

In a former life.

I've pretty much retired since getting sober. It's tough hanging out in bars constantly, even when I'm there for another reason. Seemed like every gig I would get with would have multiple pot smokers and heavy drinkers. I was with a group (briefly) where the bassist would regularly shoot up meth in the parking lot.

Got a couple kids now and a 9 to 5. I don't miss it.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband is in a band and he tells the waitress to substitute soft drinks in the shots (when people in the audience buy them shots). He really prefers playing 100% sober, packing up, going home and waking up clear-headed the next morning. Many band members do this...you'd be amazed!
Old 02-06-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, also, he prefers playing outdoor, family-oriented festivals (they're a 70's & 80's cover band so it's easy). They primarily started doing that because they hated the smoking, but it's good for avoiding liquor as well.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome nice to meet you
Old 02-06-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome jimmymac

I was a bar band musician for years - eventually tho my inability to say no to a drink meant I was playing more and more often more and more drunk.

I lost so many gigs, noone would hire me on the end. I was unemployable.

I went back to music a few years into my recovery.

Nowadays I'm a pretty busy muso again - not so much bars anymore but I am around people drinking and smoking whatever, and it doesn't tempt me or put me off, or even register most of the time.

It took a lot of work to get there - but I'm there for the music now.

There's a lot of musos live clean and sober - Clapton, Joe Walsh, Alice Cooper...and many on my local bar scene too, so it's possible.

Many of those guys use AA - have you considered something like that?

D
Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
waking down

I, too, performed sometimes sober sometimes not for many years. My regular venue got used to me "taking time off" from alcohol, and even though I haven't had a drink since 2013 I still get offered drinks. For the bar help it's their job to offer drinks. For others it's showing affection, so it doesn't bother me.

One thing that helps is I started placing a quart thermos and a tea cup on my amp right next to me, and between songs people - even drunk people - notice I'm drinking tea. This tends to minimize the offering of drinks from the audience. I just tell the bar I'm not drinking alcohol before I start to play, or when they ask I tell them a pint of water no ice would be fantastic.

I thought folks would bug me more about it because they've known me for marathon shows that start out set one pretty controlled and sober for the early crowd, and the after midnight sets would be humorous drunken freak fests. The drunks liked it. The relatively sober would leave. Now, though, I can do the marathon and late night I get loose and do lots of the same material, but MUCH better and with more precision and energy.

I usually perform solo or with one other musician (who drinks and smokes weed moderately), so I would imagine if you play in a band that's accepting drinks it could be a little harder. Then again, most people won't even notice if you leave drinks alone or hand them to someone else.

So, my plan has been to decide on a drink of choice and stick with it. It used to be beer when I performed with the rule of no whiskey til midnight. Now, I bring my own tea and drink only club soda or seltzer from the bar. Have a plan and stick to it.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jimmymac!!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven't been on my computer in a couple of weeks. All the feedback is awesome. I knew there were a few of us out there. I too became unemployable, and it might be a while before we get to play in this town again. I'm in no hurry, however. I've been writing some recovery music and recording in the basement. Here are a few if you want to take a listen.
soundcloud.com/jimmy-mcguire/sets/sober-songs