Notices

For AA people - step 5 support

Old 02-05-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For AA people - step 5 support

I'm doing my step 5 tonight, and with this list that I've been putting together today I'm not sure how I or my sponsor am going to get through this. Is there such a thing as being too thorough and honest?

The thought of step 5 didn't bother me, but now that it's here I don't know if I can do this.

Does anyone who has sponsored someone through this step or done step 5 have anything to offer in support?

I'm in some major denial right now, but how is spilling my guts about secrets I swore I'd take to my grave going to help me stay sober?

This is hideous......
Old 02-05-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are brave and strong. Do your best.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lance.

I have not done step work, but definitely have experience with spilling my guts in previously unprecedented ways in one-on-one situations. I experienced it in personal relationships, and more recently in therapy. It's always cathartic for me to do this, very definitely helps being in a better place mentally, and can also create powerful bonds with the other person. Being transparent like that can be a bit scary and uncomfortable at first, but once it gets rolling, I would not want to do it in any other way, and it can be such a wonderful relief. I'm sure your sponsor has heard some heavy secrets in his life.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
I'm doing my step 5 tonight, and with this list that I've been putting together today I'm not sure how I or my sponsor am going to get through this. Is there such a thing as being too thorough and honest?

The thought of step 5 didn't bother me, but now that it's here I don't know if I can do this.

Does anyone who has sponsored someone through this step or done step 5 have anything to offer in support?

I'm in some major denial right now, but how is spilling my guts about secrets I swore I'd take to my grave going to help me stay sober?

This is hideous......
I would answer that last question, but it's already answered in the BB.And it will be clearer after yer done.

I don't think it's denial yer in. It's fear.Say a prayer for courage.
Take everything you've talked about here to your sponsor.
You and your sponsor will get through it with God..as in the admitting to God.....
Old 02-05-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow - all I can say is wow. I feel so light and so free. Earlier today I was seriously afraid I'd go out and drink after I got through this. I am so at peace.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Lance
Old 02-06-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I work step 5 early in the morning with a sponsee as it can be a very lengthy discussion--about 6 hours or so

Those steps saved my life and I had a major change in my thinking. Relief and freedom came after step 7....which are done immediately after step 5.

You can get through this!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Step 5 set me free dude. I was so afraid I was going to be judged on some of the things I had done. I had told my sponsor many times as I was doing my 4th how terrified I was to let anyone else know my dark secrets. Once I got done with my 4th step convo with my sponsor he said. "OK, now tell me the deepest darkest thing you have on your list.....

He had done the EXACT same thing.

Liberating to say the least, made the rest of the stuff on my 5th simple. Was able to finaly start to grow as a man once that step was completed.

Be THOROUGH!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job Lance. Makes that fear look a little silly doesn't it?