Notices

online sponsor?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

online sponsor?

Is there such a thing as an online sponsor. I finally found a new job but with my dui and bus commute now I will be lucky to get 6 hrs sleep. I cannot make it to a meeting but I believe I need the 12 steps. I am not religious but I need something to believe in. My father died alone as an alcoholic. I don't want to be that. I was so high and mighty when I was sober...except a weekend here and there. Now I so know what my dads life was like. Just sucks 2 months after he died I lost it....and became him. I just don't know where to turn anymore :-(
Old 02-05-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have an American woman friend who lives in Manila and sponsors other women in Japan and South Korea via Skype.

I'm sure face-to-face is the ideal, but my friend is dedicated with 33 years of sobriety and is always there for those who need her.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One person I met in a meeting did her step work with a sponsor via email and online chat communication purely. They "met" at AA online, living far from each-other, but had such a good connection that they decided to do this together. The sponsee has been sober now for over two years and they keep in touch. I would think anything is possible if you find someone who is willing.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Chloe, Post in the 12 step forum if someone does not step forward in response to your note here in newcomers.

I found myself wondering what your father would say to you now. I think he would want you to avoid the suffering he endured. All the best on your journey.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Heres the link to 12 step support Chloe Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Congrats on the new job
Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just remembered I was looking at this a long time ago, lots of possibilities you could browse:
Online Intergroup : Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have an online sponsor. I found her through E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous : Online AA Meetings : AA Links : AA Resources : AA Fellowship

I really recommend meeting with someone in person, at least initially. It would honestly be nice to be able to text my sponsor at certain times, but it's all good and these things will come in time. I recommend an online sponsor if you can't do the face-to-face meetings, definitely.