Notices

Did something new today.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did something new today.

Hi everyone

I just wanted to share something I found out today. Since I started my journey in recovery I have really only thought when will I get better? When will I stop getting theses horrible thoughts and feelings of anxiety what will life is like for me ….. And on and on all about me..

I listened to an UN trained expert in the field of alcoholism and was told there was no way out I was doomed.

That so called expert was me... and to a cretin degree I still make myself feel bad over thinking with a mind that is recovering from my escapades in the past.

I have taken time to interact and talk to people and ask the question (how are you?) I have listened and realised that my small issues are small in comparison to some people’s

Focusing on others problems to make you feel better is not my advice but understanding that everyone has something that they are dealing with big or small reminds me that the life I have and the people in it is why I am on this crazy journey and when I get there I don’t want to go back ever.

Just wanted to share this with all you good people here

ones head has been removed from ones ass for a while at least.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post Aldo! Ones head has been removed from ones ass......I had to laugh at that. A tad harsh on yourself but I had the same realisation.

Wishing you well as always.

Lx
Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by aldo1981 View Post
it is why I am on this crazy journey and when I get there I don’t want to go back ever.
Glad you're here!

There is no there I have learned. For us, there is today - staying sober, doing the little simple things we need to do to stay sober each day. 24 hours is the world's record for sobriety. Sobriety is not like a destination at the train station.

I post this because there can be a warning sign that leads to frustration and relapse If I am not vigilant.

We never arrive, there is no congratulatory certificate presented and no parade for us. ick and ism will remain, but can be dealt with if we understand what they truly mean.

Keep coming back!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post Aldo
Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aldo1981 View Post
Hi everyone

I just wanted to share something I found out today. Since I started my journey in recovery I have really only thought when will I get better? When will I stop getting theses horrible thoughts and feelings of anxiety what will life is like for me ….. And on and on all about me..

I listened to an UN trained expert in the field of alcoholism and was told there was no way out I was doomed.

That so called expert was me... and to a cretin degree I still make myself feel bad over thinking with a mind that is recovering from my escapades in the past.

I have taken time to interact and talk to people and ask the question (how are you?) I have listened and realised that my small issues are small in comparison to some people’s

Focusing on others problems to make you feel better is not my advice but understanding that everyone has something that they are dealing with big or small reminds me that the life I have and the people in it is why I am on this crazy journey and when I get there I don’t want to go back ever.

Just wanted to share this with all you good people here

ones head has been removed from ones ass for a while at least.
Great post, Aldo. That is exactly what I find happens when I volunteer. It is a great way 'get outside of myself'.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting that. Its a good reminder. I was reading a daily meditation the other day and the end was a prayer for relief from worry, fear and selfishness. It made me think. I realized that in my focus on my own fear and worries I was being selfish because I got wrapped in a cocoon and my two children received short shrift. When I realized that I have been making an effort to get out of myself and it ultimately made me feel better.

So the reality that reaching out to others and listening is very valuable not only to us but is the simple cement that keeps us together.

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me sometimes looking at the present, the here and now, can take some of that anxiety away, will there be a time in the future where I have the moment of "I have arrived", "I am cured", "I am better", I dunno, some people who have decades of Sobriety behind them can't imagine ever having a drink again as their life has been fully integrated, changed and cemented soo much into a Sober lifestyle.

But within that, you are right Aldo, looking outwards to other people is a very healthy perspective, it can be very invaluable as a part of recovery too, concerning ourselves with others can make all the difference in getting over the line on another Sober day and arriving at bedtime, as that's all any of us have to do each day, remain Sober for another 24hrs!!

Great post Aldo!!