Notices

Failed

Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failed

i havent been able to stop drinking, i did 7 days but now I have just been getting worse. After the last time I drank I have been miserable, and feeling like I'm nothing more than a worthless piece of ****. I feel like I'm about to loose everything, my job, relationships and my life. I don't know what to do
Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you really ready to quit? I've quit halfheartedly many times before. knowing in the back of my mind I would drink again. You have to be honest with yourself. To quit you have to decide that drinking isn't an option anymore. It's hard but easy at the same time. Just don't have that first drink. Have you tried meetings? AA helps a lot of people.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry you are not feeling great. I certainly can relate. I agree with Dave. AA was the first place that I felt like others understood. Maybe try and find a meeting today?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pro,

I agree with Dave & Grace. For most people like us, it's almost impossible to quit without outside support. Although I went to rehab for six weeks, once I got home I realized that I still had an awful lot of work left to do... there's something profoundly wrong when you just spent $20,000 to get six weeks sobriety and excellent training about addiction but still want to drink. I went to AA the day after I got out of treatment, and can say that without it, I seriously doubt I could have stayed sober.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some good advice here proclub - make a list of all the things you could possibly do for help - all the recovery groups, the doctors, counselors and rehabs - then look at what you're prepared to do right now out of those options....

If in doubt, at least commit to the least confronting option & start from there

Your new life can start whenever you like

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-05-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Proclub

For years I had a victim mentality where I felt hopeless and wished that someone would just take the problem away. That doesn't happen. It takes hard work to get and stay sober, and most of us cannot do that without support.

For me, I had health problems and I realised that at 52, there was only two paths I could take -illness and death, or life. That's when I grew up and stopped f**ing around. Wish I'd grown up at 30.

Don't underestimate your addiction. It is powerful and insidious. Read up and know everything about alcoholism that there is to know.

Saying that you can't give up feeds you addiction. Your AV wants you to fail.

You need tools on board to deal with your cravings.

Find out how your mind works too. Observe it working up to a craving. it is full of thoughts that you don't have to act on.

The premise is simple. Do not drink today. Do that every day, one day at a time.

Find a recovery programme that speaks to you, be it AA, AVRT, prayer, exercise, a mix of all, whatever.

Work the programme.

Knowing isn't enough, you also have to act.

Start again, and try not to beat yourself up too much. You haven't failed- you are still posting. I had dozens of relapses before I finally made it stick.

You can do this.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You haven't failed Proclub, you just haven't found the means to stop yet. Don't give up! There's too much too lose.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are here talking to us. That's a huge positive and a big step.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by proclub View Post
I don't know what to do
But you for darn sure know what NOT to do, right? Start there.

JanieJ nailed it, so read her post again (and again).

I knew I had to quit drinking and I thought that meant I would just immediately stop wanting to drink. Addiction does not work that way, and it can be maddening.

You have not failed. You have learned. Addiction to alcohol is no joke. It kills people every year. It kills the people who don't learn enough about how to stop it.

Learning is positive. You can do this!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like other say, if you present this as a failure in your own mind you will find it more difficult to instigate changes. Reaching out to us is a great start. Who else around you can you reach out to face to face?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great advice here. I found it didn't work to focus only on not taking an action, drinking. I had to put some focus on a new action to fill the void left by inaction. In the first months, I replaced consuming alcohol with consuming everything I could about addiction and recovery. 100 days today.

Take action. You can do it!
Old 02-05-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember my last horrible night of drinking, it is something I never want to do again.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this Proclub
Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by proclub View Post
i havent been able to stop drinking, i did 7 days but now I have just been getting worse. After the last time I drank I have been miserable, and feeling like I'm nothing more than a worthless piece of ****. I feel like I'm about to loose everything, my job, relationships and my life. I don't know what to do
I had the same "feeling," PC. And then I did lose it all. Continued to drink while my life was falling down all around me. I drank myself into a state in which I no longer cared. One of the reasons that I resisted sobriety is that I didn't want to care all over again about the people and things that I'd lost.

What kind of life do you reasonably expect to live if you don't stop?

Life awaits, but not forever.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me an acceptance that I needed to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis was the first step, there was gonna be no more moderation attempts, no more testing the waters, trying to be one of those people who could be a normal drinker, this was the reality and I needed to do something about it.

The next thing was a system of support because my acceptance after a week or so would be called under question as my addicted mind grinded me down to the inevitable, so whatever it is, regular SR posting, meetings, support groups, get something in place and reach out and use it on a regular basis.

Finally for me changing up my routines/habits was important, take drinking out of my life and I was left with a whole lot of time on my hands with my own thoughts, and guess what I would think about?

So my lifestyle needed to change and adjust to that of a non drinker in every aspect, I needed to make decisions on what activities to get involved in and what people to hang out with to make it happen!!

You can do this Proclub!!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When the pain of getting drunk exceeded the pain of reality and I felt I was a hopeless,helpless,useless,worthless, POS, I walked into the rooms of AA.

And today I have worth, use, can help others, and have a lot of hope.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going proclub?

D
Old 02-06-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've definately have been better. The worst part was the last time I drank it wasn't just alcohol I slipped up on. I'm so disappointed in myself because I have such a head full of steam and think I'm doing so good only to fail miserably and generally end up even worse than what I was before. I live in a remote town where I don't have nearby access to help (i have to drive to the next town) and it feels like everyone in the town knows about my problems and judges me for it, which makes me just want to hide away and not speak too or see anyone.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

it feels like everyone in the town knows about my problems and judges me for it, which makes me just want to hide away and not speak too or see anyone.
It may feel like that, but I'd bet that's likely not true. Even of it was people have remarkably short memories once you sober up - trust me I was once the neighbourhood bum.

The only way is up proclub - you can start climbing... or you can wallow in shame and beat yourself up some more - but I know which is the right path to take.

As far as support goes, there's always SR.

If thats not enough then go to that next town - get connected and pick up some phone numbers to call next time you feel you're on shaky ground?