Notices

Frustration

Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frustration

I have 38 days sober and have been doing pretty good. Read on here about people having 5 days in and feeling great. That was not the case for me. The first 3 weeks were pure hell. Had intense anxiety and panic attacks almost constantly along with lots of vertigo. Think the worst of that is behind me although I have moments of it several times a day. But the last few days I'll be going along fine and it's like the bottom drops out and the most intense depression and frustration comes over me and life without drinking seems not worth living. It's almost unbearable. Thankfully it only lasts about a half hour or so and I'm fine again. I don't want to drink and I'm not going too but every once in awhile this thing steals my strength and it's all I can do to keep it together. Its not even a craving really. I don't know what it is. I know I'm getting to the point I need to fill my time better. I've basically been hibernating for 5 weeks trying to heal up. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way early in recovery.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dave

I've read in posts on here where people have said that each time they've tried to give up the withdrawal has been worse. This is my first 'serious' attempt which may be why I've not endured what you have.

So no, I haven't been through what you have but I do think you should be very proud of yourself for keeping going
Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel Dave. I get severe vertigo and panic attacks. A couple weeks ago I often felt like I would fall off the couch when laying there. I feel that it will come back this time around too.. the only thing that helps me not to notice the vertigo were the massive panic attacks - I would prefer the vertigo lol.
If you are having good days then try thinking back to when there were none it may be helpful to know that you are improving.
I think you know that quitting booze is good for you in the long run, or you would have gave up in the first few weeks. That means you have the strength to succeed.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first few weeks were exactly like yours. Moments of feeling okay and moments of doom. Specifically, elevated heart rate, confusion, and even sweats which surprised me. I am happy to report that at seven months those are all gone. You'll get there too. The only way to go is forward.

Thinking about it right now, I think that hell of early sobriety is what kept me going. I knew in those first few weeks and I know now that if I ever were to drink again I'd have to go through all of that again. Hangovers were a thing of the past for me because I had gotten to the point of daily withdrawal. As they say we never have to feel that way again.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I physically felt good right away except for at night when trying to sleep. I learned that I hadn't really "gone to sleep" so much as just passed out for years. The anxiety went away after a couple weeks though.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a pretty intense 90 days - it was neither fun or pleasant, Dave.

But I trusted I was on the right path, I didn't drink - and things got better. I know they will for you too

D
Old 02-05-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi Dave, yes these early weeks are tough. I am almost 3 months in to recovery and in the process of building a life that does not include alcohol. There is a huge difference between this type of recovery and simply not drinking. As your strength builds you too will sift your focus to a sustainable life without drinking.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear that number a lot on here. 90 days. Lots of people say that's when they start to notice real progress. Hope I continue to improve and have a better handle on this by then.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Early recovery is a roller coaster of feelings for the majority of people,it certainly was for me.

Some days the only acheivement was not drinking,amazing for an Alcoholic like me.

Keep going,it will get better,you are doing great.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dave36, we're all different. The first month of being completely was not fun for me either. I was tired all the time and needed tons of sleep. I can completely relate though. I would see so many people saying how awesome their life was in the first week or two and would wonder if there was something wrong with me.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've gone through that hell for a week or two after drinking heavy for just a few days. It can take awhile to get your body back to normal after numbing it with alcohol for long periods, You would think after going threw that a person would never be tempted to drink again, ever! Alcohols a tough addiction to quit but you can do it, you will feel better.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

My first few months were filled with health anxiety and guilt and shame for hurting my family. So, it was definitely a struggle. The thing is, it will get easier and you will be able to navigate through this. Keep in mind that they are just feelings you are experiencing and you don't have to act on them.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 38 this is why early recovery is said to be like a rollercoaster your doing well
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

38 Days is fantastic Dave!!

Yeap, first few months I didn't do much, went to work, came home and crashed, not much energy for a long time and then things adjusted for the better!!

Hang in there!!