Notices

Why Not Dream? :)

Old 02-04-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Not Dream? :)

Hey, friends...

I just wanted to post a visual metaphor of a thought I've had many times already. I think this video is also somewhere in my blog on here

The reason why it came back to my mind again today: I had my hair done (I always love that), now usual red color. And then I had another leaf tattoed on my back.

I'm posting this band's song because I'm not a native English speaker, and no one should be shy because of it

None of these would have happened when I was drunk....

Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound happy. I'm glad you're sober. You give me hope! :-)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love that song! Great album!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am of a "certain age" when, as a teenager, DuranDuran was THE bomb. What fun to listen to that first thing this morning.

You are doing great and,more importantly,sound happy. That is lovely!!

Have a wonderful day.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice tune!!

I think we even had a thread somewhere on your hair colour Haennie from memory!!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Could you elaborate please? I don't think I am "picking up" what you are "putting down" here

Maybe Im just enveloped in the PAWS brain fog.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justincredible View Post
Could you elaborate please? I don't think I am "picking up" what you are "putting down" here

Maybe Im just enveloped in the PAWS brain fog.
Justin

Nothing deep or worthy of dissecting at all. I'm not always happy, but I just had a good day. And sometimes my head is full of weird associations between seemingly unrelated things that I can't even put down to PAWS I'm afraid
Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We're creative! Random associations.

I heard once - we are SICK - Sensitive Intelligent Creative Kind. That's my story, I'm sticking to it
Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

haennie!

Sorry I tend to over analyze things lately, always looking for deeper meaning... I gotta remind myself to chill out and turn down the intensity dial a bit, not be too serious.

Thanks for the post. Needed a little perspective shift.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justincredible View Post
haennie!

Sorry I tend to over analyze things lately, always looking for deeper meaning... I gotta remind myself to chill out and turn down the intensity dial a bit, not be too serious.

Thanks for the post. Needed a little perspective shift.
Too familiar. I was described like that a hundred times in my life, including here on SR. Why I let myself do silly things and things that don't make too much sense at times, self-therapy The over-analysis and intensity got significantly lighter inside my head after a few months of sobriety.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love getting a haircut too!! I just got one, a bob with bangs. So cute.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been described the same way a lot. But as I get a bit older I've learned to relax way more. Just lately not so much, I'll take it as an early recovery thing. Well I look forward to easing up, and more good days.

Glad you had a good day haennie!

What is it about getting your hair done that makes people so happy? Uh oh, over analyzing again! Caught myself! Lol

Last edited by Justincredible; 02-05-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: grammatically abused this thread with my post, had to clean it up.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We are not a glum lot. -BB

We are serious matter. Huh?

Oh Happy Days! good to have em and let others know they can, too!

Need a haircut today!
Old 02-05-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Justin:
But I can answer it because this is actually something that I've been finding quite helpful in recovery. Simply just taking care of myself. Like many of us, I neglected taking care of myself in so many ways when I was drinking heavily... so when I got sober, I started making conscious plans to do simple things for my well-being that are not mental/intellectual interests regularly. I have always liked coloring my hair and experimenting, this is why this particular thing. Then I simply just like the result. I also go to spas regularly because I enjoy the relaxing facilities and treatments -- another thing I've liked since my childhood, but never did for years before I quit drinking.

I also generally learned to relax more as I got older. One thing I've learned early in my life is that the best way for me to balance my general mental hyperactivity and all the intellectual interests I have is to do things for my physical being with a certain regularity. Sometimes it's not easy because I'm not always interested before I start it, and I procrastinate, but once it's going, usually extremely therapeutic for me. It really is the same idea as exercising regularly (that's also something I never did when I was drinking heavily). I find that when I have these kinds of things in my life, my thinking and my emotions even out almost effortlessly. Nothing magic or anything groundbreaking in it. Also, just feeling good about myself adds to my sense of well-being and confidence. I had a few bad days last weekend and early this week when my mind went really crazy, so I decided to do something to counter it.

OK now we are again... anyway
Old 02-05-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Amazing how a thread here can turn you around, it provided me with a lot of smiles and a laugh here and there. Thanks.

I understand the self care thing and I am working towards it. The only thing I guess is a guilt that I have to shake for being what I perceive as selfish. I used to equate self care to me needing to get out and drink/use and it was very selfish behaviour because I couldn't do it like "normal" people. I was self destructive and caused worry and shame with my behaviours I guess. So now I am trying to turn that around to do nice things for myself just because I deserve it, not affecting anybody else, but just making myself feel good so I can be more positive and enjoyable to be around amongst other things.
Too much? JK.

I am inspired to go to the gym tonight and get this monkey off my back, so to speak. Run off some of this excess sober energy I have and then sit in the sauna for a bit. I think Im going to look into more nice things I can enjoy in a good way.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Are you familiar with an older song called "She's Come Undun" by The Guess Who? One of my favs

Old 02-05-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I did not know this song, Art. I like it! And cool video, too. Thanks for sharing
Old 02-05-2015, 10:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Oh, Haennie, I love this song!

P.S. I am not a native English speaker either)
Old 02-08-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Another leaf on back in the tattoo department Just came back home from it. This may sound childish, silly, or crazy, but I'm one in that crowd of people who always loved body art and tattoos, and never got any for myself when young, except ear piercings, hair color, and dental work. So this is a very interesting project for me now.
(And my many past ear piercings have been gone now for a long time, so very conventional in that area.)

What I've learned from these naturally (=substance-free) adventures is that we can really re-wire our brains that, I believe for most of us, got "fried" during our active substance addictions. It takes time, lots and lots of efforts, but it is so worth it
Old 02-08-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Also, just signed up for a 5K race, to start. I did quite a few long distance running races in the past, and I often did well far beyond my expectations, but never really with the spirit of competition. I hate competition in general. Want to change this now and train for / do the race with a different spirit this time