Anyone else still suffer from fight or flight

Old 02-04-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've realised for the first time ever that I suffer from severe anxiety attacks, having the awareness has slowed me to address this. I no longer feel like I am fighting for my life or my sanity and I am over joyed.. However I feel pathetic, I hate myself for this, wondering if people thought I was crazy all those times I felt anxious because of the EXA abandoning us/me, I wonder if people think I am strange or weird as I can now see clearly the effect and the toll that anxiety had on my personality...I wonder how people have judged me. I am so worried that people think I'm strange. Also has or did anyone else suffer from major anxiety issues and then feel relief when they were no longer dealing with the EXA ?? I'm not blaming him for my problems but I can't help but see a major link between the abuse I suffered and my anxiety.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks, which I think are in part due to my childhood with two alcoholic parents. It took me years to realize that I had an anxiety disorder because I have had it since I can remember and so to me it was just normal. It continued as an adult, and has only begun to ease up a little in the past couple years as I have embraced a healthier lifestyle, eating right, keeping a regular schedule, and trying to avoid toxic relationships. It probably also helps that I'm finally at a place in my life where I feel financially secure. So yes, I do think that breaking free of a relationship with an addict could help. I too worry a lot about how I'm perceived, but I've realized with the help of therapy that to some extent my fear of others' disapproval is actually a PART of my anxiety. I'm beginning to accept that other people don't spend as much time as I fear picking apart my faults. They have better things to do, I think. And anyway, what other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My anxiety reared its ugly head recently over a pretty insignificant incident. Sent me to therapy as the flight response was pretty overwhelming. Mine is getting better, but never know when it will show up. I've always felt like I am weird or that people thought I was. Hugs to fellow sufferers!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. I also suffer from fairly frequent night terrors.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also have c-PTSD, panic attacks and anxiety attacks. They are getting better since I have divorced.

I don't think you are strange, or any of the other things that you said about yourself. I had those feelings also. I use to be afraid to go to my mailbox, it was only at the end of my driveway, but I didn't want people to see me and the shame that I felt.

I really do try to not isolate myself. When I go out, people aren't looking at me and judging me. I found out that people usually like me. It's not what I was told, but I am finding out that what I was told wasn't true.

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
amy
Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm usually all for the "flight" ...at least with significant others...Sometimes they can't tell that I've mentally flown away while looking right at them....bad habit of some sort of protective disassociation!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

My anxiety diminished considerably when I got my AM out of my life and started focusing on myself and my little family. I'm very particular about who I allow into my life now, which had done so much for me, too.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by killerinstinct View Post
Also has or did anyone else suffer from major anxiety issues and then feel relief when they were no longer dealing with the EXA ?? .

YES!!! While with my xabf i always had anxiety and I'm 100% sure it was caused by being in such a toxic relationship. I got anxiety worrying about everything! ... and then paired that up with my paranoia when he started talking to his ex, it became even worse. I have high blood pressure these bouts of anxiety would really take a toll my me mentally & physically. Since the break up, my anxiety has gone away.