Notices

Hi there

Old 02-04-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi there

I guess if I'm successful this time, today will be day one sober. I drank my last beer I had left from the night before yesterday morning. Felt sick from withdrawals most of the day. Still feel pretty crappy today; it doesn't help that my right tonsil is swollen to the size and feeling of a golf ball and it hurts to talk or swallow, but other than that it hasn't bothered me much. I tried about a week ago and I made it four days. Since I started drinking really heavily at 17 (I had drunk a lot before then too, but not on such a regular basis because it had been harder to get) I've only managed to stay sober for about a week when I try to quit. That's my record. Seven days. Then I get so crushingly depressed and anxious, or I'm on my pink cloud and get tempted by someone, and all that hard work and pain and feeling sick goes out the window and I'm right back at square one. I'm almost 24. I've lost what should have been my best years to this. I've spent all my savings, lost my job, most of my family doesn't speak to me, and I have few friends. I have no support system whatsoever and few prospects. When I reach out for help the answer is usually "I want to help you, but I don't know how." if they're even sympathetic at all, which they often aren't. So there's my situation right now, and I'm trying on my own again. I really don't want to fail. I want to be healthy, not be an addict. I'm going to have to learn to live all over again, to forget the lessons and way of living I was taught that brought me to this dark place. To be my own teacher, my own support, my own friend...because everyone else has either led me astray, abandoned me, or both. I guess that's why I'm here, I'm hoping someone can relate. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I joined late Sunday night and this place has been a god-send to me
Old 02-04-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Titian View Post
. I'm going to have to learn to live all over again, to forget the lessons and way of living I was taught that brought me to this dark place. To be my own teacher, my own support, my own friend...because everyone else has either led me astray, abandoned me, or both.
Yes, exactly, and it's a journey. This is where I was too and I know you can manage this. Just take small steps and make small changes in your life and things will fall into place.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Titian!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! You'll find no shortage of understanding!!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Titian nice to meet you
Old 02-04-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Titian, to SR. Sobriety and recovery offer a journey away from and out of that 'dark place'.

Glad you found SR.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Titian

Although this is your recovery, you're not lone - you'll find a lot of encouragement and support here

D