Why does it always pour?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why does it always pour?

As I posted earlier it's been a wild week or so, AHs knee surgery younger sister having a stroke getting 90 days in at two jobs, and Ah flipping out again my questions. To my counselor was how do I make it not pour? The only thing I have on this list that I could control was my 90 days. So why do I have periods of out of control things followed by a period of calm.

Does any one else have this pattern going on? If so what do you do about it?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't know how one would "control" the timing of someone's surgery or stroke, nor an alcoholic's "flipping out." It's just the way life works.

Heck, in the last couple of weeks I had TWO sewer backups, an office chair break and dump me on the floor, and a leaking condensate line that also flooded my basement floor. Not that those are all calamities equivalent to what you're dealing with, but my point is that statistically, sometimes several things will happen close together. It's just random.

I think you're better served by prioritizing what needs your attention--your housing situation--and getting that resolved.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cricket.

It seems to me that if you got 90 days in on 2 jobs you did keep the focus on what you could accomplish. That is a really good achievement.

Keep to your hula hoop. Be kind as you are capable to others, but you can stay in your hoop.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i think we need to be careful in slipping into the mindset that these life events are happening just to US....and from borrowing other people's problems and adding them to our own. WHY ME doesn't help us one bit.

sh!t happens and you grab a shovel.

after spending over 6000 dollars to get our roof repaired this past summer, before the holidays we started to get drips in the living room. where we had never HAD drips before. I didn't even bother to put up xmas decorations as they were likely to get wet. we didn't have any holiday festivities here at the house. instead we had a lovely assortment of drip catchers artfully arranged in the living room. this was also when our dog was healing post-reconstructive knee surgery (another 2500( and I was sleeping IN the living room with her at night - drip, doink, thunk, drip, doink thunk thunk.

whaddya do? you deal with it. first things first.

right now you have very basic needs that require your attention. food shelter safety.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The other day I started a thread about things I CAN control.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...n-control.html

I don't know if that link is going to work, but the title is "Things We Can Control" if you wanna go look for it on the main page.

I get really overwhelmed when I think about all the crap that is going on. And it's definitely there. But what to do about it? If it's raining, it's raining? Better stay in doors or get an umbrella, right? Those are the things I CAN control when it's raining. But the rain, it's gonna keep coming.

If you can, take a look at the thread I shared and see if it sparks some ideas for you about things you can control in your situation. I need the reminder again today about what I can control, so I'm going to go try to add to the list too, and if I repeat some, then oh well, I need reminding!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What I mean is does he sense me being stressed out about some things - like my sisters stroke and unconsciously build up more stress for me?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

cricket...I don't think they actually put so much conscious thought into it...lol.
That is just what they do...

dandylion