Notices

Day 4

Old 02-02-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

Hello Everyone

This is my 4th day sober and snowed in with the family. Trying to stay busy. The biggest symptoms I felt were nervousness, exhaustion, and very itchy skin. Have not told a soul-except you all-that I am doing this. After reading other post, perhaps I should have. Didn't realize it was dangerous.

Perhaps i wasn't as dependent on alcohol. I have been drinking on and off for 20 years. But this last 1.5 years it has become daily. Mainly after kids were in bed and I sat on the couch alone. About 1.5 bottles of wine a night. Would definitely forget conversations or emails I would write-yikes. Luckily all me correspondences were positive and loving and not booty calls.

I feel like I want to drink but not out of "dependency" but boredom. I have already organized the entire basement and pantry. Everything is laundered in the house. Wrote a ton of animal rights emails and am waiting until it is time to make dinner.

I guess this is a horrible introduction into the group but glad I found this site

Namaste
Old 02-02-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Krisd, to SR; glad you found us. Congrats on 4 days.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

This is day one for me and the first thing I did (as with most mornings) was check my email sent box, phone and Facebook to see what I sent/posted last night. Besides finishing a text to the vicar with two kisses, all seems ok!!

This morning was the last time I will ever have to do that as I am going to stay sober from now on.

I totally 'get' the boredom bit. I've fallen into a vicious circle of being bored as I'm stuck in so much but not wanting to go out as I only drink at home. I'm going to take inspiration from your buzz of activity
Old 02-02-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome KrisD its nice to meet you

Congrats on day 4
Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job Kris! I always had difficulty at 4 days, so be careful. It's kind of where any physical craving might still hit you. By day 5 you should be okay, just have to deal with mental and emotional urges.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there. Congratulations on 4 days. Keep fighting. Thought I'd share things that I keep busy with while starting sobriety. The library and Youtube have been pretty much my best friends. I watch tons of cooking videos. I especially like asian cooking lessons. I also watch exercise videos, real beginner stuff like starting yoga and indoor cardio stuff. And Youtube has home repair tutorials, business and finance lessons. I mean it's all on there. At the library I get self help books, movies, audio books, comics, anything and everything. Finally, I live near a small college and I can go see their orchestra and their art students open house and the sports for free. I just check out the website. I also walk on their track. Just thought I'd mention that stuff for any others who like me had no idea how to keep busy besides drinking.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give it time Kris - you've just stopped a long term habit. A sense of loss and wanting to correct that loss is normal.

You'll come to see it's not a loss
you'll soon find so much to do you'll wonder how you had the luxury of being bored, lol

D
Old 02-02-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Krisd!! Great job on Day 4!!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. It's funny how I really only want wine... Maybe the sugar. Had a house full if vodka and the like and not even tempted. I really only like to drink at night by myself... Which makes me want to take a deeper look at that. My hope is that if I am resolved enough during the day and don't buy it, the decision will be made for me at night.

I really do appreciate the welcomes and this site. The shame of my drinking has really caused me to hide it and the attempt to be sober. It feels a little less "alone" this way.

Namaste to you all
Old 02-03-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Niamh- lol I just went to the library as per your suggestion. I walked out with so many books that the librarian said, "you know you only have three weeks with these."

Maybe overkill
Old 02-03-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I read every self help book on the planet, too.

The sugar craving is a real thing. Eat a piece of fruit or a small square of dark chocolate. You've been consuming a lot of sugar in that alcohol and it will take time to return to normal. It took me about a month until I didn't crave sugar.

Welcome to the forums, congrats on Day Four.