Notices

My spouse is quitting cold turkey and im worried.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My spouse is quitting cold turkey and im worried.

I've been sober for a little over a month now. ( I was a post trauma binge drinker) married to an alcoholic with a 9-15 beers a day habit. I'm doing ok. Focussing on my own recovery and my health. I reached the point where my therapist said that the only way for me to continue to heal was for us to begin couples counseling. We've been through a lot, both individually and together. Drinking has been a coping mechanism that has been destroying our marriage for years. We began counseling and my therapist made it clear that the drinking needs to be removed from the equation. Now for the first time in a decade, he is not drinking. He's trying to do the right thing. But I'm worried about his health. He has not seen a doc in at least 12 years. Smokes a pack 1/2 a day. I'm doing what I can on my end, he'll eat anything I give him, plus I'm giving him the supplements that have helped me wean off alcohol. But I always thought the only way he'd be able to come out of such a daily dependence would be with medical supervision. He seems fine so far. But I'm worried.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Sorry to disappoint you, but there's really no way for us to say what will happen to your husband. What is perfectly normal for one person may be fatal for another.

It's best to see a doctor.

At least he is not alone, and you can help him if he needs it.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

He's lucky you are there to help. Don't be afraid to see a doctor or even the ER if things get too bad.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TaylorSaint - welcome

withdrawal is very unpredictable. Sometimes people are fine, other times they are not.

If you have the slightest concern or worry please do enlist some professional medical help
Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BP is a pretty good marker for problems and easy to monitor. My wife, a health care professional herself refused to see a Dr. for some pretty good reasons but gave me a scare for about 5 days back in June. There are short term meds for this as it is a very common WD symptom. Congrats on taking the plunge and saving yourselves. Don't hesitate to see a doc if it gets too high. Best wishes to you and yours.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think its best to see a Dr my friend
Old 02-02-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Get him to a doctor if he's trying it you're far better off than someone who is with someone still in denial... I'm sure he wants to do what's best or he wouldn't be trying so no reason to be set up for failure
Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I mentioned my last detox experience in an earlier thread. I made it through it with no medical problems, but looking back I know that I'm really lucky. The only positive that came out of it for me is that the experience traumatized me. I wouldn't go through that again for anything.

In your husband's case, if it starts getting bad, I would get him to medical detox.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but there's really no way for us to say what will happen to your husband. What is perfectly normal for one person may be fatal for another.
I like what you said here, Coldfusion. Not to worry you, Taylor, but going cold turkey is different for everyone. And what the others have mentioned, I can relate. There were numerous times I needed to go to the emergency room numerous times because I was feeling so bad and I knew it was from withdrawals. Even though I'm a 28 year old, 5'1", 115 pound woman I can still drink with the big boys and not have as bad of withdrawals as those larger than me. Size and how long you've drink doesn't matter.

I definitely recommend seeing a doctor. If he starts hallucinating or hearing things... I was told by my doctor those are major signs of alcohol withdrawals. I'm sure you've heard of DTs. Those scared me senseless. I won't ever go there again.

I am glad he has you, and I'm happy you're a month sober too.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've gotten lots of good advice here.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

As already mentioned withdrawals can be vary between people!!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You are well covered here, good luck to you and your husband!
Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

His sobriety lasted 4 days. I'm not surprised. But we have started couples therapy. We just had our second session today, oddly enough when I was going to therapy on by myself, those were the nights I would come home and drink myself into oblivion. Some days I just wonder how the hell did I get here.