Notices

Can drinking cause low back pain?

Old 02-01-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can drinking cause low back pain?

Did anyone have really bad low back pain while being a heavy drinker..and then it disappeared after you quit? Any stories would be great
Old 02-01-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tbh yea I used to get pain in my stomach and lower back and it's gone since I stopped 3 weeks ago. Don't know what caused it. Do t think wld be liver as that's higher up. Did a bit of reading on net (not a good move really) when I was getting it and said may be pancreas but obviously that's just a possibility and can't rely on the net. I'd go to the gp if you're having any sort of pain. Mines gone tho so I'm pretty sure it was so etching to do with the drink xx
Old 02-01-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to have pain in my mid-back area that went away when I stopped drinking. I didn't consider it to be bad back pain though.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^ reading above yea I wouldn't have considered mine really bad either just kinda nagging. Def go to gp to get it checked xx
Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had it too it's gone now. If it hadn't gone away I would have gone to the Dr because I was thinking maybe I really messed up my kidneys.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sometimes but it stopped in sobriety

if concerned always see a Dr bud
Old 02-01-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Alcohol can damage every organ in the body.

Good idea to get yourself checked out by a Doctor.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to get little aches and pains everywhere, but the back yeah. I always believed it was my kidneys as I had punished them constantly. Mine did go away after some sober time, but like everyone said if you're concerned see a doctor. We don't know what we are doing when we drink sometimes or what we're feeling so it is possible you may have something messed up as well.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of things can cause lower back pain, including the various organs in that area, but lots of other little things too.

My advice is to see a Dr if you're concerned

D
Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My lower back pains did go away when I quit drinking, because I stopped sitting around all the time. I actually exercise and eat well now If you have concerns please see your Dr. My experience and yours do not correlate, but I will say taking care of oneself solves a lot of issues we dealt with when drinking all the time.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Absolutely, I'm glad to see this post because i had really bad lower back pain that got better everyday that i didn't drink. It helps to not drink. It will all feel better eventually.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

kidneys are in the lower back. kidneys filter the blood of contaminants. if they struggle it can cause them to ache.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chances

Big Time - It's probably Kidney and intestinal pain. My was.
A simple blood test will test liver, Kidney and most organ functions. As it improves it's probably healed up but continued abuse becomes irreversible so please so see a doctore
Old 02-02-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets not speculate - none of us are Drs.
Keep it to personal experience please.

D
Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Dee is correct my friend, best see your doctor if you are concerned.

Be safe.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

To everyone saying "see a dr". My doctor is aware of the low back pain and has concluded its sciatica and a slightly bulged low back disk. My question wasn't asked properly as I didn't tell you all I already saw a dr about it. My question was sort of about how much relief people with back pain got from the abstinence. People always say how sugar and alcohol are bad for the joints...was wondering about others experience with the before and after
Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Could be anything, best being safe and checking in with a Dr!!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Scared1234 View Post
To everyone saying "see a dr". My doctor is aware of the low back pain and has concluded its sciatica and a slightly bulged low back disk. My question wasn't asked properly as I didn't tell you all I already saw a dr about it. My question was sort of about how much relief people with back pain got from the abstinence. People always say how sugar and alcohol are bad for the joints...was wondering about others experience with the before and after
Thanks for clarifying what you wanted to know Scared.

I have chronic back pain so drinking or not didn't make much difference...

but sober, I had a much better all round level of health and I think that definitely contributed to my well being...I dealt with pain better

I found relief in some exercise...that may not be suitable for you of course but keep working with your Dr to try and work out solutions, Scared

D
Old 02-02-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
My lower back pains did go away when I quit drinking, because I stopped sitting around all the time. I actually exercise and eat well now If you have concerns please see your Dr. My experience and yours do not correlate, but I will say taking care of oneself solves a lot of issues we dealt with when drinking all the time.
BOOM!

Aside from what others mentioned, the physiological damages caused by alcohol... Having a beer gut and passing out on the couch, I would wake up with a very sore back. Sometimes it would take a day or two to feel better.
Been a while since I had a back ache.

edit - didn't see clarification post,,,
yo stoogy whasup?