Today I'm thankful for a pot of soup.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today I'm thankful for a pot of soup.

Started with two fresh carrots. DS ate one for a snack while I chopped the other carrot and threw it in a large pot with some water. Love and companionship seem to add a dash of extra flavor. Diced three large stalks of celery. Added frozen pork scraps leftover from another meal. Drained a can of black beans and stirred it into the mix. Some of my favorite sea salt, stir in, look in the fridge again... and found some cabbage. Dice, add in, stir, simmer. Delicious!! My husband had part of a baguette with his, DS and I added some frozen peas to cool ours off.

Amazing how a few simple ingredients can be so satisfying when blended together. Looking in the cupboards and fridge, I wasn't sure if we had anything for a meal.

Kind of like recovery and life can be sometimes. Take a few simple things, mix, let simmer, enjoy.

Today I am thankful for soup, my family, my recovery. I'm thankful for clean water, a quiet day and time to rest.

Today I'm thankful for Alanon, my health, a warm home.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What are you thankful for today?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am thankful that we were able to celebrate my DD 14th birthday today!!! It was a fabulous day for all of us. Lots of laughs and fun! Oh and cake, lots of cake!
Old 02-01-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love this reminder! Your soup sounds scrumptious!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm thankful to find my the choclate bar I had stashed in my work drawer on Friday (to stop myself form eating it all) when today I REALLY need some!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm thankful that my carpenter friend suggested I make him the "backup" notified person for my water leak detection system in case it happens again when I'm traveling. I was thinking about asking him if he'd be willing, but he offered before I even asked.

I'm thankful I met a very interesting person tonight at my home group meeting (there were only about six of us there because of the Superbowl). She is a rabbi with 26 years of sobriety who just got a graduate degree and is sort of at loose ends now that school is done. Turns out she lives just down the road from me. And we have a brand new member with only 30 days, who got very emotional at the meeting because she just lost her license for 20 years (third DWI) and her 17-y/o son is refusing to drive her anywhere because she won't let him get a tattoo. The rabbi informed her that she isn't working or going to school right now, so to call if she needed to go anywhere. The newcomer was crying, she was so grateful. Just made me feel good to see people reaching out to help each other. Sometimes the smallest meetings are the BEST.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm thankful for a great big snowstorm after a "snow drought" in the midwest. I took a walk today in the knee-deep snow with the wind blowing in my face and felt awed by the power of nature to remind us that we aren't in control.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
I'm thankful my parents are still alive, and kicking, and awesome.

I'm thankful that my STBXAH is still willing and able to try and teach my daughter how to drive.

I'm thankful my cat isn't human, 'cuz he's been showing some seriously sociopathic tendencies lately.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm thankful I was able to stay home today and crochet a blanket, while binging on Netflix (go Dexter!).
Old 02-01-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Soup, blankets, parties, chocolate. The warm and fuzzy thread feels so warm and fuzzy just to read.

I'm thankful for the really long 4 hour nap I got today. Well I was so tired because our grandson spent the night last night and sleeps with us so we got kicked, covers pulled off and pushed to the edge of the bed as he moves a lot, lol. So after he left, nap time! So cozy.

Kari
Old 02-02-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

GREAT POST!

I'm grateful for a lot today. I woke up feeling pretty happy.

Good music - nothing like dancin' your way around the kitchen, packing lunches in the morning.

My boss - she treated me to a deluxe pedicure 2 weeks ago & just booked a deep tissue massage for me.

Quiet Mondays in the office - It doesn't happen often.... I may actually get something done today!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cherry Bordeaux Gelato, need I say more.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today I am grateful for deciding to stop smoking for the 452nd time. I can't doing it on my own - I have a doc appointment later today. I WILL KICK THIS!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can do it, FS. I'm a few days away from 2 years, 9 months quit! Go to whyquit.com and read all you can. We have a Facebook page--Freedom From Smoking Online Friends, where we offer each other support. You can PM me if you want an invitation.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Today I am grateful for deciding to stop smoking for the 452nd time. I can't doing it on my own - I have a doc appointment later today. I WILL KICK THIS!
ROOTING FOR YOU!!!

I quit 9 yrs ago this month. You can do this!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am really thankful that I've made it till 12:22 without a text or call from DD from school. She's a trooper, fighting multiple diagnoses and still standing and having a warrior spirit.