Notices

Just need to get through today

Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just need to get through today

Hi all. Well, its been a week since I last drank. Last Sunday I drank my last bottle of wine. Weekends are the hardest for me because I have a lot of time on my hands to think about things. I have a really good memory which sometimes doesn't serve me well. I tend to dwell on things from the past, worry about things that haven't even happened, etc. My mind just never seems to stop and I can't relax. I have kept close to SR this weekend and it has helped. I don't want to go back to the place I was....drinking so much after work on a Friday night and into the weekend that sometimes I had to look on my cell phone to check the date to see if it was Saturday or Sunday. Very sad.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Meditation can ease worrisome and obsessive thoughts.

Maybe they a Google search for 'Guided Meditation'.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Weekends are hard for me. too. My mind does the same thing as yours' also.
I come here and read, and otherwise try and keep myself occupied.
One thing I think of is alcohol and what it did to me. In fact, I was just thinking about that this morning. I never want to go back there.
One day at a time helps. I've had over four years of them and I still get like you. It's hard, but so worth it.
Best to you. And stay strong.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have the same problem. It's a constant struggle for me to stay focused in the present. I can't control the constant dwelling in the past, anxiety about the future. I did a lot of damage to my life and am reminded of it everyday. I'm not sure if it is mental illness. I mean anyone in my position would be miserable and demoralized.

I won't give up though. One day at a time can't be more true.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You got this. Monday will come and you will feel an amazing sense of relief and accomplishment. Even if it's hard, it will not kill you. Discomfort can only be expected. Embrace the feeling and surf on top of the emotions.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its tough going. But for me continuing to drink was even worse. I guess we have relied on drink for so long that it's inevitable that at times we feel very uncomfortable. If you can accept that fact you're well on the road to a good recovery. And hey, it gets a lot better so stick at it.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just keep pushing through to bedtime, that's the goal, then we all get another 24hrs, a new day to worry about tomorrow, but as for today, only to bedtime!!

You can do this!!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not make a plan for next weekend to do something with all that time on your hands lovesunsrises?

hobbies, interests, community volunteering?

D
Old 02-01-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

It gets better Sunrises i agree with D about the plan something nice & sober for nest week & the hobby/volenteering idea

Also it might be useful keeping a personal written journal to see your progress and identify areas you think you could strenghten your sobriety

spk soon friend
Old 02-01-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions Dee and soberwolf. I have actually been keeping quite busy this weekend on purpose and staying close to SR as well. I actually do have a plan...I have decided to start swimming again. I used to be a competitive swimmer and it's something I really enjoy. I just got a membership at a local pool and I plan on heading over there in a while to do some laps. Certainly better for me than sipping on chardonnay all afternoon!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

That is fantastic Lovesunrises good for you bud