Notices

I messed up ??

Old 02-01-2015, 01:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I messed up ??

Right so I messed up, I was doing well I drank on Friday believe it or not it was not because of any bad feelings or stress it because I was happy ? After 17 weeks sober I have thought about drinking every day not because I wanted to get drunk but thinking about times when I would be going out or having a garden party ,, BBQ that kind of thing I thought in My head I would give up and get better and one day I would be able to have a few drinks. I was out and had a meal and drinks then a few when I got home I felt ok but in the morning I felt so guilty with myself and all the friends I have made on (SR) so sorry everyone. I am looking at this as a set back but I will get through it I suppose people in my position have had similar issues and got back to where they where so I will try. so that was it I don't feel the need to drink any time soon because I want to feel good again and work through this any advice would be appreciated and please believe me all your help in the past was not wasted .
Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of people think about the dangers of drinking when sad, or mad or bored...but happy is often overlooked....I know I let my guard down more than once.

I think nearly everyone here can empathise - and yes, you can totally get up and back on the right track after this Aldo

D
Old 02-01-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, when i got sober i had to take the option of ever drinking again completely off the table. I can't moderate my drinking, been there, tried that, and it doesn't work. Accepting and making peace with the fact that i can't ever drink again made things more simple for me. I then started to do everything in my power (recovery wise) to ensure that i stay on the right path. I'm glad you're here, trying again. Keep moving forward, you can do it!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a lot of people think about the dangers of drinking when sad, or mad or bored...but happy is often overlooked....I know I let my guard down more than once. I think nearly everyone here can empathise - and yes, you can totally get up and back on the right track after this Aldo D
Funny I drink with any emotion . But the happy camaraderie of friends often results in many letting their guard down.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry about your setback.

Fell into the same trap a few times myself. After some good sober time under my belt. Finances are better, health is great, then thought I could have a couple.
Every single time I went back to all day drinking.

Trial and error. But NOT the scientific type, were you try to make something work. Moderation is impossible to achieve for me.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It happens. I had to come to realize I needed to plan for encountering every situation sober. Changes in season, parties, good days, bad days, rain, snow, holidays, etc. You learn from that and build on it. Keep going. Don't beat yourself up.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, don't beat yourself up or dwell on last Friday...that could lead to a major relapse. It's not the end of the world, and it does not undo the progress you have made thus far! Stay focused on your sobriety, and move forward!!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First off, 17 weeks is fantastic!
Just keep moving forward, now.
Don't fall into the "well, if I drank yesterday, what the heck, I'll drink today, then stop tomorrow" trap.
It's fooled me into month-long binges.
Not worth the pain.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being happy and out with friends or on a date with my boyfriend has always been a trigger for me. And therein lies the rub; I'm generally a happy person when I'm sober! For me, I just have to remember that that one or two drinks one night will turn to more the next, and in the following week, until I'm back to the suicidal mess I always become when I fall down the rabbit hole.

As others said, though, don't beat yourself up for "messing up". Just remember how you're feeling now, and try to remember that there's no need to feel that way again - just stay happy!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had to learn there is no going back to drinking. If I get started, it's really hard for me to stop. It's something I had to learn for myself.
Still 17 weeks is pretty awesome. Don't just nix those 17 weeks though. Redo your sobriety date, but keep in mind all the progress you have made (x days sober/17 weeks+1 day). Just keep plugging forward.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep trying Aldo think of things you can do to strengthen your sobriey

Good luck
Old 02-01-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your 17 weeks are neither wasted nor lost, aldo.

Pick yourself up; shore up the holes on your plan. Turn this setback into what it should be - a mere bump along a very, very, very long road of sobriety!!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Go at things again Aldo!! You can do this!!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Many thanks everyone good advice given as always. It's a new week so here we go. I have felt bad on and off all day an I as scared the old anxiety was setting in but it hasn't , my problem has taken me through the worst days of my life and I would be foolish to gamble that again so I will set off where I left off this was a blip for me. I have a weekend booked with my wife next week the first since I have stopped so my mind is made up no drinking it only makes me feel bad,.