Notices

I Drink Too Much

Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Drink Too Much

Don't you?

I feel like I always have to have a drink with me. I have a can of Zevia Natural Diet Cola first thing in the morning, then it's one or two mugs of tea.

I get to work, and I start with the water. I feel like I have to keep tilting a glass back. Force of habit, I suppose.

I am constantly heading to the bathroom. I heard a few comments about it from people.

A buddy of mine has had pretty severe kidney and prostate troubles. He cautions me about putting too much strain on the bladder and kidneys. Lord knows I had to have tormented mine with all the beer I gulped down in the last 35 years.

It's like I have to retrain myself in every aspect of my life.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its recommended that you drink 1 litre of water for every 25 kilograms of body weight. And my doctor has always encouraged drinking lots of water as it cleans out your system. Going to the bathroom many times is a good sign as it indicates your kidneys are working !
Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Talk to your doctor. There are problems from over hydration.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It's like I have to retrain myself in every aspect of my life.
Yep.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've looked into it, and there are wildly varying opinions about the amount of water a person should drink in a day. Many are getting away from the old Eight Glasses of Water a Day adage.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always have a beverage in hand. It predates my alcoholic days. Or even my smoking days. Had to have it in hand. I feel naked somehow if I dont. I guess I view it more as an idiosyncrasy than anything. For me it beats the alternative of it being alcoholic.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to drink too much wine. Now I drink too much orange juice.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am the same way. I have had to switch from diet soda to tea, but I also go through lots of fluids.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate i barely drank anything
different for years apart from beer and other alcohols and always felt weird without a drink in me hand.

Water in morning maybe and an energy drink to wake up then beer from 11am to whenever i pass out. Repeat. Even i would workout drunk.

I am self employed so lucky i dont have a boss watching me...

Good luck with your sober journey i am finding it tough
Old 01-29-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I used to drink too much wine. Now I drink too much orange juice.
I would take the orange juice over wine these days

I use to combine both boxed wine with orange juice as a mixer.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

I keep 2 32oz Nalgene bottles of water with me all day at work. When I get home a glass of tea,then back to water. I drink close to 2 gallons of water a day. Really important to flush and hydrate those muscles. Many bathroom trips, but I'm not staggering in there any more or leaning against the wall to hold myself up.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Me too! Diet Bubblies, we loves it.

Bunnez
Old 01-30-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's me! I've always had to have a drink in my hand from childhood. I would like to retrain myself at some point however in the big picture as long as I keep that drink non alcoholic whatever it is, I'm ok with that. I truly don't miss getting drunk and that is a great feeling but if I don't have a water, soda, coffee, NA beer, etc with me at most times it just doesn't feel right... Very strange.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea. I'm just starting to notice the constant drinking except when I'm driving or sleeping. Tea, water and a little orange juice. The only negative for me is that I can finally get a wonderful, natural nights sleep and now I'm up and down with a full bladder! If that's the biggest problem I have right now, I'll take it!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I always have a beverage with me. I work from home and when working it's usually club soda, when out one of my sport bottles filled with water. I feel a little "naked" if I don't have something to drink with me and, sad to say, in the rare instance when that occurs it's anxiety inducing.

It's true that you can over hydrate, but you really have to drink a lot for that to happen. All things being equal, and I know they never are, a person's kidneys can handle somewhere between about 1/5 to 1/4 of a gallon of water a hour.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have your doctor check out everything just to make sure that you aren't over hydrating your organs. I did the same thing for about a year, water, candy, gum; had to have something in my mouth. Now, at almost two years, I don't drink enough. The obsession slowly went away without me even realizing it.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Me too , yer not alone...I am usually running around with a Coffee , a Monster or a Cheerwine lately...
Old 01-30-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In my opinion as long as it's not alcoholic and not damaging your health what's the harm?

I substituted alcohol during my evenings for a mug of tea that I top up frequently, my body I'm sure is grateful for the switch!!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyShadow View Post
I keep 2 32oz Nalgene bottles of water with me all day at work. When I get home a glass of tea,then back to water. I drink close to 2 gallons of water a day. Really important to flush and hydrate those muscles. Many bathroom trips, but I'm not staggering in there any more or leaning against the wall to hold myself up.
Oh how i remember that feeling holding myself up against the wall or loosing my balance on the way to the bathroom.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Zevia soda
I drink 1 gallon of water a day- always have.
Its total BS about that being too much- most people are runnig around dehydrated!!