83 cents... wow

Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

83 cents... wow

This is embarrassing, but I wanted to share it... and you all are the only ones I feel comfortable sharing this sort of thing with

Last night I was looking in the medicine cabinet and I picked up an ace bandage that was rolled up. Some change fell out. When I saw it I remembered having put it in there after taking it probably from AH's pocket while he was passed out drunk several months ago. This was common for me when AH was drinking. In fact this is not the first time I have found money, since AH stopped drinking, hidden in random places.

But it really made me sad, and made me think about how desperate I had become... Like taking 83 cents and hiding it was going to make a difference... really Kboys?

It made me think about all of the time and energy I spent doing things like that, after he had passed out and the babies were asleep, in an effort to try to control his behaviors, even though I knew it was not going to help. Like searching through all the cabinets and in the garage trying to find vodka, dumping it out, replacing half with water, obsessively looking through his phone, searching his pockets.

All the time I spent doing that, when I could have been doing something FOR ME.

But it also made me realize how far I have come since then... still a long way to go, but things are looking up

Thanks for reading
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yes, I can relate to your post so well. Not the specifics, but the slow but sure progress. Looking back and shaking my head because I couldn't believe how low I went in my sick relationship. In the Big Book, Bill Wilson says it's "progress, not perfection", a phrase I love since it kept me from beating myself up. It's a reminder to be gentle with ourselves, cut ourselves some slack. Thanks so much for posting!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

UGH...Completely understand.

Even now I cringe when I know my XAH has cash in hand. I had to pay him for something over lunch today and gave it to him in cash. It still made me think about how i'm sure he will go drink it up. I caught myself, but just that it took up space in my head for a little bit disgusts me.

No changing the past, but we sure are changing the future!

XXX
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kboys...thats a crazy train I think we've all had tickets for. Hugs~
Old 01-29-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes. Yes. AMEN!!

All the time I spent going around in crazy behavior when I could have been working on me. I'm valuing my days better now, and need to remind myself how vital my healthy habits are. Thank you so much for posting this.

My sponsor had great advice for me this week. To give $ if I can afford to and want to, without crossing to his side and concerning myself with what happens to it. To work my program and keep my focus on myself. This is the first time I've easily been able to say, this is all I have to give and no more. And then i truly wasn't concerned about what happened to it. This living paycheck to paycheck is actually a blessing in disguise for me, because I have so much work to do with my own money management. And I'm happy and learning.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to go look at my profile on here the other day and in the about me section was some stupid stuff about HIM and his addiction freezing me out. I really laughed at myself and thought well that's completely not about me at all. Just little stuff that makes you think like your 83 cents >_< idk I guess there's hope if we can look at it and go lol wow.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kboys, we all can take credit for doing the crazy stuff. Wow!!

I just know how hard it is for an addict to abstain from alcohol or drugs. I know how hard it is for me to abstain from my addict. That's my goal everyday to work my program and stay away from my addiction. I was successful today!!! One day at a time!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Totally relate to what you're talking about. I emptied the little change bowls on our countertops and probably spared him from scraping together 4 bucks. Pffft!

Also reminds me that a couple of weeks ago I was at an Al-Anon meeting. After everyone had had their chance to share, this group allows cross talk. Someone brought up the topic of checking their qualifier's phones -- and every single person around the table admitted to having done it at some point...and me? I had done it THAT MORNING. I discovered an unfamiliar number on New Year's Eve calling him at like 2 am. WTH!?

I decide to call it (after looking up how to block my number) and as soon as I entered all the digits in my phone, it pops up with a name from one of my contacts.

Turns out that I was the one who called him that night! It was from my friend's phone bc my battery had died.

OMG. I knew I was totally insane in that moment -- and had to stop doing crap like that for my own well being.

Finding our way back to serenity, one realization at a time, eh? Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sotiredofitall View Post
Kboys...thats a crazy train I think we've all had tickets for. Hugs~
I sure bought my share of tickets for that ride!

I was obsessed with anticipating RAH's next move so I could do damage control.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody! I'm glad I'm not the only one who took the crazy train

"I decide to call it (after looking up how to block my number) and as soon as I entered all the digits in my phone, it pops up with a name from one of my contacts.

Turns out that I was the one who called him that night! It was from my friend's phone bc my battery had
died."

LOL! I've done that one too! Thanks shinebright
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This brings back memories.

My favorite "trick" was when we were out at the bars & then-AH would blow through cash like he was made of money & he was so mindless about it he could lose it as easily as spend it. Which made my uber-responsible side go --->

I would offer to grab the next round, take his $20 to the bar to pay for it & keep the change....every round. A lot of the time he would "spend" $100 & I would come home & add $50 to my savings.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
This brings back memories.

My favorite "trick" was when we were out at the bars & then-AH would blow through cash like he was made of money & he was so mindless about it he could lose it as easily as spend it. Which made my uber-responsible side go --->

Thanks Firesprite

I don't know how many times my AH came home from the bar and told me all his money was "stolen." And you know, I think he actually did believe that, because he couldn't comprehend either, how he could blow through so much money in one night.... so it must have been "stolen"
Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Had to laugh at all of the posts above I got to the point where all change and my purse were stored between the divan and the mattress. Night wanderings by STBEAh going through my bag trying to find enough cash for his next bottle after he lost his job
Another good reason to add to my list of why I left
Thank you for sharing x
Old 01-30-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awwwwww (((((Kboys)))))

I didn't even know there was a profile thing for us to fill out with our background as another poster said. Maybe I should do that!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SHETRIM View Post
Had to laugh at all of the posts above I got to the point where all change and my purse were stored between the divan and the mattress. Night wanderings by STBEAh going through my bag trying to find enough cash for his next bottle after he lost his job
Another good reason to add to my list of why I left
Thank you for sharing x
Yes! When my AH took $23 in dollar coins and $2 bills from my boys' piggy bank (which still makes me SEETHE) that was when I started controlling and hiding literally every cent from him... It was a lot to keep up with- I never knew where my wallet was because I was always hiding it somewhere different, and I never had a check when I needed one because I kept them all and my extra credit cards at my office... I also took all my jewelry worth any money to my office to store it there. It's pretty sad that I trusted the janitors at my building more than my AH
Old 01-30-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow, I check everything obsessively. i liken it to OCD or a tic because I "feel" better once I do it. The unknown is the WORST. When I got the call from the jail regarding my son's DUI, I was relatively calm, as if I expected it. This is just no way to live.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by INgal View Post
Wow, I check everything obsessively. i liken it to OCD or a tic because I "feel" better once I do it. The unknown is the WORST. When I got the call from the jail regarding my son's DUI, I was relatively calm, as if I expected it. This is just no way to live.
My AH was arrested four times between August and October 2014.
The fourth arrest, he sent me a text that said, "I'm going to jail."
And I replied, "okay. Love you. Call me when you can."
Like he had just told me he was going to the store or something.
Yeah, definitely not normal.

And I definitely relate to the "feel better once I do it."
I knew that taking loose change from AH's pockets was not going to make him stop drinking... and yet, back then, I just COULD not stop myself from doing those things anyway. I just had to.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for that girlie- no more hiding money anymore- for EITHER of us!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Been there and the person I was with was not an alcoholic, he was a compulsive liar!

I broke up with him after three long years. I found a $20 stashed in a sock, in my drawer, after he was gone for four years and I had moved twice. I pitched the socks, kept the $20!