Notices

hi..it's me.. just someone who needs to stop

Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi..it's me.. just someone who needs to stop

hi, i'm a 24 yo, in college, and someone who can't stop drinking. i know what you all mean. college.. drinking for entire weekends.. that's not it. since i went from home, 5 years ago, there has not been a night i wasn't drunk.. sadly, 99% of that time i was alone. i just can't stop. every day i tell myself..this day is different. but it's not. i can't keep on living like this. i really need help
Old 01-28-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Rollingstone!!

Yeap, been there and couldn't stop too, but you can break the routine with the right plan, support and a commitment to make it happen!!

You can do this, and you'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Rollingstone nice to meet you youl find a lot of support here
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, rollingstone, to SR. This site is great for support, understanding and encouragement.

Have you talked to your doctor about your drinking or your desire to stop? Enlisting his or her help might be a great first step.

Take a look around the site; there is a wealth of information on alcoholism and the various methods and techniques for achieving sobriety.

Glad you found us.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi rollingstone. I understand what you mean. I'm 23 and being younger and trying to get sober can be very frustrating, especially when our peers view frequent and binge drinking as normal. I told all of my friends that I needed help and that drinking had to stop for me, and they've all been supportive. Have you told anyone about your struggles? Or have you considered attending AA meetings?

You've come to the right place, rollingstone. SR is where I started looking when I first wanted to get sober and every day I spend on here is one less I day I spend drunk and upset.

Good luck!!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

why do i feel like that was an automatic response of the site? xd
anyway.. it doesn't matter. i don't know how you did it.. but i simply can't make myself do anything
Old 01-28-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL...nope. Those are real people behind real keyboards wishing you well.

First things first. Don't drink any more, for any reason whatsoever. The way to stop is to not put it in your mouth. I'm not even kidding.

Then get out there and meet people in healthy ways - clubs, activities, sports, AA.

Do something different.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Read this RS its very useful http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 01-28-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i didn't tell anyone.. i'm ashamed. i'm the ''standing pillar'' in my family. they look at me like i'm someone strong, someone who was just stable when everything bad happens.. but i'm not.. i have no dreams, no ambitions. my life is just.. being here
Old 01-28-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well you can change that were all here for you bud
Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

but how?? how did you all stop??
Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Once upon a time, I felt the same way!!

But it was alcohol that had taken all of my dreams and energy for life away, Sobriety can turn that around, it's a great foundation to begin a new life, focus on Sobriety and sooner or later the spring in your step will re emerge, it's worth it!!

How? one day at a time, keep it simple, 24hrs is all that any of us have to stay Sober, make it to bedtime today and you're onto Day 2 and go from there!!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

only time i feel like i can ''feel'' something or think about anything is when i'm drunk.. the only reason i signed up here is because i'm afraid i'm becoming an empty shell.. i'm sober and i can stare into a wall and think..nothing. absolutely nothing. blank mind. but when i empty two bottels of wine.. i feel
Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stopping drinking comes down on your acceptance of knowing that you can drink safely or responsibly

i know i cant and il never try again it almost killed me
Old 01-28-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i think the only reason i give myself ''limits'' is because of my dog.. it's just me and her. but.. i'm afraid i'm losing that
Old 01-28-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You gotta give yourself time man, I'm talking months here, it took years of drinking for us to get here, it's gonna take time for the body to heal and adjust, days or weeks isn't gonna cut it!!

So be patient!!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i know. ijust needed to start somewhere. apparently google can take you anywhere xd
one more question.. how do you make yourself feel strong enough??
Old 01-28-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i'm drinking right now. and i'm looking for help. how do i choose?
Old 01-28-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I amazingly made it out of college without a drinking problem. I was a binge drinker in my early 20's but it was just social drinking. I was always surrounded by roommates or a girlfriend at the time and none of us had any money to drink often. When I graduated and got my first real job and had money, I was out 4 nights a week at bars/nightclubs. Then things were different. Hungover every morning and going home alone at night. Coworkers are not friends really, you can't choose them, I felt alone all the time. That's when I really started to drink.

Loneliness and just being unhappy with my career was killing me. Drank every day from about 27 yrs old to 34. Ruined a lot of relationships, destroyed my career, and many more problems. Reach out for help. You will never be able to just stop on your own. Alcoholics can fool themselves by thinking they can get it together without help. Talk to us here. So much great advice of you wondering what the next step is.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

You choose to stop drinking. That's what we all did.

It's simple, but not easy.