pinpoint pupils & suboxone

Old 01-28-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question pinpoint pupils & suboxone

Anyone with some experience with suboxone know if this medication could cause pupils to be extremely constricted I mean like very tiny black specs?
Ah has very big light blue eyes so this was pretty noticeable I just haven't paid attention to it before cause I don't look at him very much anymore but yesterday I took a good look at his eyes due to his very happy and talkative mood and his pupils were so tiny. I've read suboxone could cause this for some people but usually it is in the beginning of use and lessens over time (according to what I've read online). Ah has been on suboxone for about 6 years now taking 8 mg 3 times a day (very high dose) I also am aware he is still using /abusing/buying pain pills and abusing his script of Adderall but from what I've read stimulants like Adderall would not cause pupils to constrict but to dilate. ??? Thanks
Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pain pills will cause the pupils to constrict. Also, his talkative mood can indicate drug abuse of pain pills.

Also, suboxone is worth a lot of $$ on the street. It's also possible for them to take the subs in the morning and 8 hours later get high. Depending on the dose they take. But 8 miligrams in the morning ... he should be able to get high 8-12 hours later.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suboxone definitely CAN cause this. After being on it 6 years at that high of a dose probably not as much, but it wouldn't be the pupils that would worry me as much as the very happy and talkative mood (especially if he is grumpy and quiet all the time). Sure everyone has good days, but when an opiate addict goes from grumpy all the time to happy go lucky in a days time that is not the norm.

You seem to be in detective mode quite a bit Unease. So how is that working for you? Is it giving you peace of mind? Does it make you any happier with your current situation? Obviously there is something very very wrong going on. Maybe he just took an extra dose of sub for the buzz or maybe he is popping pills. Do you have to find the smoking gun (you did already find pain pills right)? You eventually have to trust your instincts because playing detective is going to make you more and more nuts.

Sorry you are having such a bad time, but you do realize what he does does not have to bring you down with him. I think that is Co-Dependent 101 (please don't take offense to that comment). Just trying to point out there has been a common theme to your posts lately. Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
unease, have you begun to consider what is in your best interests?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've gotten a lot of useful information from sober recovery many of these forums have been encouraging & resourceful and being able to share experiences with others going thru similar situations has been the most helpful of all for me , but I shouldn't have to feel like I am doing something wrong by asking questions or feel like I will be judged for not moving on and letting go fast enough. I think everyone should be allowed to go thru this at there own pace and that pace will not be the same for all of us .
Old 01-28-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Unease,
Marcus is so right!
What struck me (my daughter is on Suboxone
4mg/day) was the sudden happiness, talkative
mood changes. Wonder what his Sub Dr thinks
about this? I assume he's drug tested?
Trust your gut feelings. So, what are your plans
now? What are you going to do to bring peace
& joy back into your life?
A lot to think about. Good luck in whatever you
decide to do, especially with your boundaries you
have in place with your husband.
TF
Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unease7 View Post
I've gotten a lot of useful information from sober recovery many of these forums have been encouraging & resourceful and being able to share experiences with others going thru similar situations has been the most helpful of all for me , but I shouldn't have to feel like I am doing something wrong by asking questions or feel like I will be judged for not moving on and letting go fast enough. I think everyone should be allowed to go thru this at there own pace and that pace will not be the same for all of us .
Sorry that was not my intention. You don't have to let go or move on. My point was more that you seem to be trying to convince yourself he is using. Like the proof will somehow make you feel better. It seems to be taking up a lot of your time (and trust me when you live with someone it is hard not too). Actually I don't even belong over here anyway. Maybe try looking at some positive things going on in your life that don't involve the AH.

I hate to see anyone going through a hard time. Sometimes what I am thinking in my head doesn't come across the same way once I write it down. Feel free to ignore me at ANY time. Many people have told me over the years I can be quite an ornery A-hole at times. Progress not perfection I guess. Take Care!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
but I shouldn't have to feel like I am doing something wrong by asking questions or feel like I will be judged for not moving on and letting go fast enough.
That's a valid point. None of us are here to judge you, and if you feel as if you are being judged, that is certainly not the intention of our community here at FFSA.

With that being said, unease, he's been on suboxone for 6 years, you found additional pills the other day, and he has been, by your own admission, verbally abusive towards you. All of these raise red flags for me. I'm of the opinion that if your AH wants to continue to use drugs, that's his right. My main concern is you, your safety, and your emotional well-being. I do not believe you should pay the price for his continued abuse of drugs. At the same time, none of us can make you do something you're not ready to do.

So long as you're aware of what you're dealing with, do what you think is right for you.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I compared sub use, to not using at all, to just using in the beginning for my husband. He was not good at all not using, not on sub or anything, period.
He was way over the top good in both ways and so fricking normal on just the sub, or just using heroin ... and totally wasted, like on another spatial plane if he used on
top of the sub.

Sub is made from thebain, the speedy part of the poppy. It within itself will give some energy and it will pin the pupils, just like the adderall will.

And don't take offense but you are in seek and find mode and I get it. I had a hard time in the beginning trying to stop myself from needing my husband to make
some sense to me. I asked question upon question and even could see how I was getting good at asking the same ones over and over but in various different ways.
I never really got any answers that helped me and I did already in some way know that he was showing his truth, but didn't want to accept that.

They do say it is when we stop asking that we start getting the answer we need ... which can be different than the ones we want, but much more important.

I know for me it was when I stopped trying to figure him out and started looking at the fact that I was way obsessed and a bit crazy that helped me let go of needing him to make sense.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((unease))

I hate so much you are going thru a difficult time ~

when I first entered recovery those wonderful "oldtimers" asked so many questions about me, my thoughts & my feelings ~ it was very strange to me ~

What did "his" actions have to do with me?? lol After over 10 yrs of that life - I had become so absorbed with "his" addiction/alcoholism ~ I never even thought about ME.

After I while, a dear friend in recovery helped me understand ~ they were trying to help me see I needed to start thinking about me, my thoughts, my actions, and so many other things ~

Gathering information on the disease, reactions to drugs and other information is very helpful but also looking at how I was affected by All of this helped me in my journey too

It was just another part of information gathering that I had never considered until those wonderful oldtimers opened my eyes to that option ~

Just sharing my e, s, & h ~

wishing you & yours the best
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear Unease,
I felt the same way you do, at first. I couldn't
even say the words "addict & daughters" in the
same sentence. I also learned that the advice the
good members of SR gave me...I could take what
was useful to me and leave the rest.
Nobody is judging you. We care about you and we
are giving you our experiences.
This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I
did it and I feel better for the decisions I made and the
boundaries and consequences I set up.
We care.
TF
P.S. Marcus YOU belong here! You have helped soooo
many of us, don't you dare leave us!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sometimes I also feel like I should be moving on and letting go sooner than I am. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Sorry that was not my intention. You don't have to let go or move on. My point was more that you seem to be trying to convince yourself he is using. Like the proof will somehow make you feel better. It seems to be taking up a lot of your time (and trust me when you live with someone it is hard not too). Actually I don't even belong over here anyway. Maybe try looking at some positive things going on in your life that don't involve the AH.

I hate to see anyone going through a hard time. Sometimes what I am thinking in my head doesn't come across the same way once I write it down. Feel free to ignore me at ANY time. Many people have told me over the years I can be quite an ornery A-hole at times. Progress not perfection I guess. Take Care!
Marcus, YOU DO BELONG HERE and you have helped me a lot I'm just overly emotional right now I think but you have helped very much and you are using your experience to help people and there just aren't any words to express how important that is !
Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

unease, i know i probably am one of those that sound like i'm saying "get a move on girl" - but what i see in each of your posts is your focus on him and what he may or may not be on at the moment. if you don't know standing there in front of him, how are we out here in the ether supposed to know? you have recorded the litany of drugs he is or has been on....you KNOW he's doing drugs. so the question is when do you move from focusing on what he is taking to what does that mean FOR YOU?

he's an addict. FACT
he's in active addiction. FACT.
he has prescriptions for ailments he does not have. FACT
his eyes are dialated and he did not just come from an eye exam. FACT

what is your real question??? what do YOU want to do about things?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unease7 View Post
Anyone with some experience with suboxone know if this medication could cause pupils to be extremely constricted I mean like very tiny black specs?
Ah has very big light blue eyes so this was pretty noticeable I just haven't paid attention to it before cause I don't look at him very much anymore but yesterday I took a good look at his eyes due to his very happy and talkative mood and his pupils were so tiny. I've read suboxone could cause this for some people but usually it is in the beginning of use and lessens over time (according to what I've read online). Ah has been on suboxone for about 6 years now taking 8 mg 3 times a day (very high dose) I also am aware he is still using /abusing/buying pain pills and abusing his script of Adderall but from what I've read stimulants like Adderall would not cause pupils to constrict but to dilate. ??? Thanks
AH looks fine on suboxone and his #1 excuse for pinned eyes is that its sub. BS, its heroin (in my AH's case). Ask him to take a **** test if you are not sure