Notices

Has anyone tried Chantix?

Old 01-28-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone tried Chantix?

Did it help you quit smoking? Did it help you to stop drinking?
Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tried it and I had never had suicidal thoughts before but I had them when I was taking Chantix. I wanted to sleep all the time and my mind became dark. Maybe it works but I never quit while taking it. Do some research before taking it. Many people have reacted badly from it.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used the Chantix four years ago. I am very sensitive to many western pharmaceuticals so my doctor made sure I understood the side effects. He stepped me up slower than is usual. I have a sleep disorder that includes sleep walking and wildly psychedelic dreams. The first week I didn't notice anything much different. I quit the smoking completely after seventh day of Chantix, as is recommended.

I did start even crazier, wilder dreams. I did feel some agitation. I was not a heavy smoker, maybe less than a pack a day. I didn't smoke in public for years so maybe it was easier for me.

I did notice huge cravings/urges to smoke at my typical trigger areas. Like when I first got to my hotel room (I travel for work) I found if I changed up my routine, it was much easier to let the urge pass. At home, it was in the car or when I sat down at the computer desk. So I quit sitting at the desk and used my iPad at home too.

After a few weeks, the agitation seemed to be more pronounced. I was very irritable which is unusual for me. One night, I was laying in bed watching him sleep. I very dispassionately considered smothering him with his pillow. Good Heavens! Love my husband! yes, he's annoying as all husbands are from time to time. but smother-worthy? No.

I called my doctor in the morning, described the incident and he recommended I stop the Chantix. I'd been on it about three weeks, I think, maybe few days longer. I quit the Chantix. After about 24 hours, the agitation was gone, I have had very little urge/cravings.

have you ever ridden a rental horse? notice how it wants to go back to the barn and you have to use your legs and the reins to keep it on the path? The urges/cravings were like that. a little work to stay on the path but once you let the hrse know who's the boss, it's OK. you relax and continue on! i have been smoke free since October 1st, 2010. I very, very rarely even think about lighting up. I don't use any tobacco products. I live with a smoker. philosophically I believe other peoples smoking has nothing to do with me. I don't smoke. For me, it's like other people drinking (I am often around other people drinking as a part of my job. Their drinking has nothing to do with me as I quit drinking in December 1, 2007. )

I hav used AA and AVRT to stay sober. It's works. I suppose I use a form of AVRT to stay smoke free.

my husband used Chantix for the six weeks as prescribed. He was smoke free for 21 days and decided to celebrate his Victory over tobacco by smoking a ciggie. He was back to is usual pack and a half the very next day! Crazy, huh? Yeah, well, that is addiction. LOL

So, ask your doctor, get a good physical and prepare yourself mentally. You might read Alan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". (there's no easy way! The chantix does make it easier but you still have to work at it)

Good luck! And do let us know how it works for you! BTW, I do have a new for me and different relationship with food. I am eating way more than iecer did and have gained 40 pounds! Could be I have the triple whammy of thyroid problem (Hashimoto's ) menopause, circadian rhythm disturbance, so...well...

Love from Lenina
Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chances

I used it a few years ago without success but it was moderately effective. My heart was not really in quitting mode though.
I know a few people have had adverse thoughts to it. My doctor refused to prescribe it to me for this reason 4 months ago. He told me to use patches and said, if 1 doesn't work, use 2 or 3. I used 3 for 3 days and cut back to 2. I also used an inhaler at the same time. He said whilst it's not recommended nicotine craving are withdrawal so use more patches and nicotine replacement until the habit is broken than beat the addiction. I no longer smoke
Old 01-28-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to love the dreams from the patch!! I would be running around having all kinds of crazy adventures in my sleep. I stayed on them longer than I needed to because I loved my dreams. If I was going to have a nightmare it was a doozie though, but I even kind of enjoyed them
Old 01-28-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took it back in 2006 and I am so thankful for it. I tried everything multiple times even zyban. Chantix was the only thing that worked for me. I am very sensitive to medications as zyban made me violently ill but I never had any issues with Chantix whatsoever. The only side effect I had was not really wanting a cigarette. I still changed a few things that were triggers like coffee etc. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I read some reviews and it seems to help a lot of people do I will try it starting today.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 50 hours into cold turkey from smokeless tobacco. I had a dip going pretty much all the time - for years! Using AVRT technique. I read that using a replacement - patches - is not as effective as cold turkey.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I am 50 hours into cold turkey from smokeless tobacco. I had a dip going pretty much all the time - for years! Using AVRT technique. I read that using a replacement - patches - is not as effective as cold turkey.
Can someone tell me what AVRT is please?
Old 01-28-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

try this to learn about AVRT:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 01-28-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I've never
heard of it but it sounds a bit scary xxx
Old 01-29-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've seen mixed reviews. A lit of people saying it worked and was the best decision for them, then other really scary reviews. So I still don't know.

I guess I am looking for a cure all pill.

I did good all day yesterday by only having one cigarette but when I left work I proceeded to smoke and drink.

I wish I could be sober!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I used Chantix without any problems except for an upset stomach if I took it without food. I also had crazy, vivid dreams from time to time. I was able to easily stop the nausea by making sure I took it on a full stomach and with a lot of water. I didn't mind the dreams; they weren't nightmares, just very vivid dreams.

Chantix worked for me. After a few days, I had absolutely no desire to smoke. However, I suggest you talk with your doctor about the starting dosage. Depending on your reaction, your doctor my want to adjust the medication.