Notices

Experience with IOP's?

Old 01-27-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Experience with IOP's?

Hello everyone, about four weeks ago I started an IOP and am surprised of all the rules and conditions they impose on IOP clients. For example, I have to take my lunch with the inpatients even though I have no morning classes. All the Inpatients could be my daughters and the main disorder is anorexia. But I had no say in the matter. they just announce me that they have no discharge date for me because they dont like my attitude. Guess who is paying? and they imposed an outisde therapist twice a week. guess who is paying again! I am so pissed right now that i can't be even fair as far as if they are good or not. sorry for venting. but if someone has an experience with IOP, would love to hear it. Thank you and have a great day.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's not at all similar to what I experienced at IOP. Sorry that is happening to you! That they don't like your attitude pretty much sounds ridiculous, in my opinion. Freshly sober people don't tend to have stellar attitudes. As long as you aren't inciting others or combative, I don't really see it as any of their concern.

My IOP was for a 20 day intensive outpatient program... not 20 consecutive days, as we had weekends off. I showed up around 9am and left around noon. No lunch there. Just a couple short breaks for coffee. We were occasionally urine tested, but that's really the only rule or condition I can recall. It was a group of about 8-12 of us which fluctuated as people "graduated" the program and left, and as newbies arrived.

I am sure I received a list of rules in the welcome packet, but I really can't remember them. I must not have broken any.

But I do remember that any of us could walk away from there at any time if we wanted. There were no eating disordered patients (unless the eating disorder was a co-occurring and not the main issue). It was mostly young male drug addicts. I was in the minority actually, 30-something alcoholic female.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with IOP. I hope this works out for you.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you SoberJennie. You are confirming what I suspected. The lunch thing is not a regular part of an IOP. I get urine tested each time and cannot get to class as long as I dind't "drop." You are also confirming that these people are taking themselves a bit too seriously. Thank you again for the feedback.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, try not to internalize any of the social bs, politics, and such

Are you finding the group therapy aspect helpful at all? That was the best part for me.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deadlydame View Post
Hello everyone, about four weeks ago I started an IOP

Hi DeadlyDame,

May I ask what IOP stands for? I live under a different healthcare jurisdiction.

B
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was in an inpatient clinic and we had several Outpatients join us for lunch, regularly. It was part of their program.

When any alcoholic is put into a treatment facility (inpatient or outpatient), it's quite common for us to stop our feet and claim "NOT FAIR"! We don't like having rules. I didn't like them either, and I'm not surprised you're venting.

I would suggest following the rules of your treatment program. Do what they ask of you. It's probably been a long time since you toed the line and released a bit of control from your daily routine. I'd recommend you bite the bullet and just do what's asked of you. Good luck and all the best!
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, about four weeks ago I started an IOP and am surprised of all the rules and conditions they impose on IOP clients. For example, I have to take my lunch with the inpatients even though I have no morning classes. All the Inpatients could be my daughters and the main disorder is anorexia. But I had no say in the matter. they just announce me that they have no discharge date for me because they dont like my attitude. Guess who is paying? and they imposed an outisde therapist twice a week. guess who is paying again! I am so pissed right now that i can't be even fair as far as if they are good or not. sorry for venting. but if someone has an experience with IOP, would love to hear it. Thank you and have a great day.

I noticed that you are in Tampa, Florida. There is an IOP program that is connected to Memorial Hospital. I don't know what part of Tampa you live in, but it might be worth looking into. It is not just for alcoholics though, but for a wide variety of issues. It treats the underlying causes of these issues. Most people there were dealing with anxiety and depression problems along with PTSD, family issues and suicidal ideations. It breaks up the four hours into three sessions, each with a different therapist. You eat lunch with the people in the group, not inpatient people. The hours are 10:30 am to 2:30 for either 5 days a week or 3 days a week. They provide a therapist there as well as a psychiatrist, but you see them there during the four hours. They also provide a medical doctor if needed.
This program is not connected to any treatment center so I'm not sure if it would fit your needs.
The therapists can be a little hard on some peoples' attitudes, but not as bad as what you are going through.
It helped me a lot and really miss going.
John
Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Last year (maybe longer) has been pure insanity. drinking all day long and taking amphetamines. Destroyed my career. went to jail... lost my apartment... some of you can relate... tried to stop on my own including being a member here. worked at first but failed each time. Things got so bad, my mother finally baker acted me and i finally went to rehab for 90 days. back home in florida doing an IOP. four months clean. Iam back... Feels unreal right now. How is everyone?
How is fixing these problems going?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

man that stinks. i guess the question i would ask myself is "are they giving me strategies that i can use in my new life?". if not, it may be a racket. if so, it may be worth it to put up with a little b.s.
the "attitude" thing is perplexing. what kind of attitude ate they looking for? ask them to clarify.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"The beatings will continue until morale improves!"

There are two schools of thought on this. Either go along with it ala BigS comments, or put down the flashlight and back away.

My thoughts are - from your comments - that you have never had to deal with any type of discipline or structure. It's a wild guess. So any type of regimented program may seem 'out there' to you. Again, just a guess.
But that they are adding on to your 'sentence' because you are not playing along seems interesting. And that you are having to see a type of psychologist/social worker as determined by your response to "treatment" seems odd. Is seeing this individual based on your attitude or is it a scheduled part of the program?

Unfortunately, those who just go through the motions and 'play along' are graduated with honors while those who question it or lash back are sent to the brig. Each gets from it what they desire, assuming it is a legitimate program of recovery. And it may be futile to ask questions of this IOP, I'm afraid the only answer you will get is, "Because we said so."

If at all possible, speak to someone 'in charge' and get a breakdown of their methods and reasons. Maybe this was done upfront but not understood?
Can only guess. Make the best of it.

MY experience with places that had both inpatient and IOP was that the two shall never interact. It was a violation for inpatient to go near the IOP area. And same for IOP talking to inpatient folks.

This is from 2 places I know of.