Just a nasty, unsettling morning

Old 01-26-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a nasty, unsettling morning

This morning, DS and I were running late - it's so cold that the frost did not want to scrape off the windows of the car, at all. I got him dropped off at his school and headed off for work.

As I reached the intersection of two of the busiest roads in town, two women stumbled out into the lane of traffic and fell in front of me. I nearly hit them; the delivery truck behind me almost hit me. I'd thought they'd slipped on the ice, but as I sat there and waited for them to get up I realized one of the women had her hand twisted in the other's scarf and was clawing at and hitting her, and was trying to keep her down. The girl on the receiving end was looking up at me through the windshield screaming, begging me to help her.

Cars were flying past in traffic lanes next to me, the nearest lane almost hitting these two as well. One girl was scared, the other raging and oblivious to the traffic. I got out of my car during a break in the stream of cars and walked towards the front bumper of my car. The one attacking the other was just... gone. There was nothing behind her eyes, she was completely out of it. And that expression just looked so much like AXH when he was drunk and in a mood. There was no way I was getting close to her.

I yelled at her to stop while her victim yelled for help. Nothing. No hint of anything resembling thought showed up in the woman's eyes. I yelled at her to get out of the road and she finally let go of the other girl; her eyes were still empty but she slowly got up. The one that was being hit got up, said thank you and walked off. The other one slowly stumbled off across the road.

It was only after I got back in my car and was 1/2 way to work that I realized I had my cell phone in my hand, but hadn't used it to call 911. So stupid. I could have gotten hurt or worse. The woman who was out of it could have wandered back out into the road, or gotten hurt. I don't know if either of them were under the influence or if the one had a mental illness or what. The assault should have been reported. Both of them probably could have used help. I should have called 911.

I still feel sick. Thank HP that DS wasn't in the car and thank HP that my stupidity wasn't rewarded with getting hurt.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OmiGOSH what a morning indeed! So grateful your DS didn't have to witness that! Don't beat yourself up... you were probably in total shock and on auto-pilot at the absurdity of the whole thing! I'm so glad you're safe!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a morning is right, WOW!! My heart was racing just reading about it. I'm glad it ended without too much incident & you weren't hurt yourself.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A very tense situation for sure. Glad you weren't hurt and that DS didn't have to witness the scene.

I've been in similar situations and sometimes in the heat of the moment we react without thinking of the consequences to our personal safety.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow!!! That is NUTS!!! .............

not much else to say beyond that. I mean...you kind of went into crisis mode (which we all know ALL too well) and jumped into action!

Yes, you COULD have been hurt, but when you saw that someone was being attacked, you did what any warm, tender-hearted person would do. HELP. or try.

I say, GOOD JOB! But yes, maybe police next time.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How frightening. Sounds like you really helped the victim! But yeah what a weird and scary thing to see. I expect the attacker was high on something.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You could have called 911, but you were acting in the moment. Anyone might have done the same thing, or more, getting in the middle of the girls fighting. You're decision is just fine. Don't beat yourself up, k?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Very scary, indeed. Hey, don't beat yourself up for not thinking of the cell phone. You might have saved a couple of lives, and that's the most important.

Have a big hot chocolate, and let your nerves calm down.

Hugs,