ABro's interesting observation about rehab

Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ABro's interesting observation about rehab

I had a really nice visit with ABro yesterday. I didn't go last Sunday, because quite frankly I just didn't feel like it, but went yesterday. I'm so glad I did. It's only been 3 weeks so I'm not putting any weight on what this means long term, but it was so nice to have a nice time with him, to plan for his graduation in 5 months, to speak positively about his future. We laughed and hugged and talked about everything from our upcoming niece to nothing important to life in rehab.

He made a really poignant observation, IMO, that I wanted to share. His greatest frustration is that some of the newer RA who have counseling/leadership roles within the program can sometimes treat the patients worse than he says he was sometimes treated in jail by the guards. He said: It's like they've been powerless victims to their addiction for so long, that now that they're sober and have power over other people it goes to their head because they've never been in control before.

Well, d*mn Gina!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe one should truly research a rehab because many many addictions counselors are addicts themselves. We paid to put my X into rehab and it was a complete waste. Wrong rehab for him to be in. It's truly worth it to do the research.

Despite the challenges, it sounds like he is doing well right now, and that is a blessing.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My daughter had a problem too with a power tripping counselor. It got really ugly and I asked her private therapist to step in. The counselor was removed immediately.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It doesn't seem to be derailing or destracting him though. He had such a great perspective on it and why that happens. We also discussed when he graduates and he told me he's working on himself and when he's ready he wants to go public with what he's been doing and why and not keep a secret (worst secret ever). I'm used to the ABro that would have been angry about the bullies and playing the victim. Yesterday was like hanging with him before the addiction took over and it was refreshing, even if just for a day.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Power can destroy how people act towards others. They forget where they come from and think that others that walked that road are beneath themselves. Kimmilynn that was an awesome observation made.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stanford prison experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

And it doesn't just happen in rehabs and prisons. Try living in a luxury condominium with "Condo Commando's" (Board of Directors) that have never before been in a position of having power.