Finally Here

Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Here

I've been struggling for awhile now with my partners increased drinking and hiding wine. We have be been together 20 years and beer and wine has always been a part of our lives and and social gatherings. However the past few years, my partners drinking is getting heavier and she is now hiding wine.

I asked about the hiding behavior about a year ago and she said she would stop. But over the past few months and just this morning I have found that she is again hiding wine.

I attended Alanon meetings in the past when I was younger to support my Aunt who is a recovering alcholic. And know it would help me to find a group again.

My partner is a high functioning alcholic. Drinks a few drinks very night but never misses work and then binges on weekends. I know this is hurting our relationship. I know I need to talk with her about my feelings and get help for me and develop better skills for coping. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Okie70; 01-26-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 01-26-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and a warm welcome to you!

Well, you already get half the battle, that you need help for you and better skills for coping. Those things should be very high on your priority list, and definitely Alanon will help you with that! You already know you cannot control her, but I do think talking honestly about how you feel and how she feels about all of this would be good, just so you both know where you stand.

I am glad you are here! Read lots, and keep coming back!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, and sorry you're here! But, you seem to have a really healthy set of tools already and that is fantastic! Hope you can also find relief here on SR; vent all you want!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome
I was a wine hider too (in my underwear drawer of all places!) - and never allowed it to interfere with work until it started interfering with work.
I hope you find a great group to help support you. This place is a wonderful start!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Okie!

Glad you decided to post! There is a lot of information posted above in threads. Most days HoneyPig has been posting a daily reader called Language of Letting Go. I think that might help put you into the spirit to reconnect with Al Anon.

You can look up their meetings online for your area.

I'm sorry things have escalated and she's stashing. Usually it is deeper than what we know.