Weak part of AVRT for me

Old 01-26-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Weak part of AVRT for me

I've found the writings about AVRT to resonate well with me. The only higher power that I recognize is Antabuse, lol. (I stole that idea.)

Humor aside, I do have an issue with AVRT. I'm down with everything about AVRT except the phrase, "And I will never change my mind."

I first heard about AVRT in July of 2014. It helped me stay 100% alcohol free until sometime in October. Then I decided to allow myself a drink on a special occasion. Gradually, very gradually, I got back to drinking every day.

I'm back on Antabuse and I've been 100% alcohol free now for almost two weeks. I feel great and want to continue this way the rest of my life. So what do I tell myself, "I will never change my mind, again?" Or, "I hope I never change my mind?"

I just feel too weak to say I will never change my mind. I know I might.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Walk, A big part of it for me was to make the forever commitment, Thats the Big Plan. My AV is always on the hunt for a loop hole. I can make no compromise. It's never a good time to drink. It's never an option. I move on from there. Not an option. ever.

Please don't set yourself up by allowing the AV to call the shots on your sobriety.

Love from Lenina

PS. Maybe you can take it one day at a time?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

The rational part of your thinking has recoginized that using alcohol will lead to negative consequences in your life, or at least I assume you have made tis realization/analysis , yes?

The AV is the part of your thinking that represents any positive thoughts of using alcohol, not necessarily positive in the sense of " Oh my forgetter tricked me into thinking drinking can be fun and relaxing for me", but in the sense of it is nearly inevitable that I will again consume alcohol.

What is the rational part of your thinking's plan for future alcohol use ?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by walkbeformakrun View Post
I've been 100% alcohol free now for almost two weeks. I feel great and want to continue this way the rest of my life.
WalkB4MR, This is YOU. This is what YOU want, it's clear. So, AVRT's Big Plan, 'You will never drink again AND never change your mind' is exactly what YOU want. YOU have no problem with this at all, in fact you know that is the only rational and reasonable approach for people like you and me.

It is your AV that is not happy with this. This gives your AV the screaming meemies. The uneasiness and uncertainty you feel is AV, purely and solely, not you.

This is a big part of AVRT - recognize the thoughts that point to drinking again or uncertainty in success in permanent abstinence as what they are - the voice of your addiction. (To me, there is no beast or mythical entity, but there is a whacked out pleasure drive developed from years of alcohol abuse and addiction. So that's why I say AV rather than beast.)

Draw a clear line between what you want and what your AV thinks you should have. We know where that AV leads, though - you sitting in an empty room with nothing - no family, job, health, no hope. No life. Just misery and despair. You deserve so much more, and you can have it.

So WalkB4MR, what do you say? Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm down with everything about AVRT except the phrase, "And I will never change my mind."
AVRT is recognition of your addictive voice as originating from an irrational impulse coming from the addicted part of your brain.
"And I will never change my mind." is part of the Big Plan that can be used in conjunction with AVRT. You can still use AVRT and not have a Big Plan. I do.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Thanks to everyone that commented so quickly!

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
The rational part of your thinking has recoginized that using alcohol will lead to negative consequences in your life, or at least I assume you have made tis realization/analysis , yes?

What is the rational part of your thinking's plan for future alcohol use ?
Yes to the first. I don't understand the second bit.

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
WalkB4MR, This is YOU. This is what YOU want, it's clear. So, AVRT's Big Plan, 'You will never drink again AND never change your mind' is exactly what YOU want. YOU have no problem with this at all, in fact you know that is the only rational and reasonable approach for people like you and me.
So WalkB4MR, what do you say? Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
This sounds like ME. Thanks.

I need to read more about the Big Plan.

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
AVRT is recognition of your addictive voice as originating from an irrational impulse coming from the addicted part of your brain.
"And I will never change my mind." is part of the Big Plan that can be used in conjunction with AVRT. You can still use AVRT and not have a Big Plan. I do.
I like your tag line about mistakes. Maybe I just made a mistake in October and NOW I will never change my mind!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Walk, A big part of it for me was to make the forever commitment, Thats the Big Plan. My AV is always on the hunt for a loop hole. I can make no compromise. It's never a good time to drink. It's never an option. I move on from there. Not an option. ever.

Please don't set yourself up by allowing the AV to call the shots on your sobriety.

Love from Lenina

PS. Maybe you can take it one day at a time?
I feel weak saying one day. I should be able to do a few at least. LOL. I also feel at risk. Day after today is not that far away.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can re-commit and never drink again.

All we have in the bag is right now.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Walk, this is the insanity of alcoholism. not being able to say Never but knowing you need more than a day! Crazy, huh?

Just work as you can. I stay sober by not drinking, it sounds so simplistic. I am not drinking today and will never change my mind.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-26-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That thought or "feeling" of weak is AV---one of the millions of "whats" in the NO MATTER WHAT. Right this second is the time to address that cassette tape (Yup, it's that old). Burn it. Maybe using it as a morning Mantra could help. Put it on the coffee pot or commode.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I decided to quit for good, Walk, immediately there was this feeling that washed over me. It was over. I didn't have to drink anymore. I didn't have to lie, to be ashamed, to feel guilty and disgusted with myself ever again. Ever. The feeling of relief was immense and I wept.

The way that this can come to you is if you decide not to fight this anymore, not daily for heavens' sake. The question is asked and answered. You are free. For ever.

I know this is some hard thinking to do. I don't want you to think that I am saying this is easy. But there is one thing for sure, and that this can be very very simple.

I like simple.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Omnivore

I have not see much detail on SR about the Big Plan. Is there something someone could direct me to?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Google Rational Recovery.

The thing with the Big Plan is that you commit to never drinking again and never changing your mind. No matter what. But all you have to really do is live in the moment and not drink. It's always right now and right now you aren't drinking. Anytime those pesky thoughts start creeping in you remind yourself that you don't drink and never will again. It's mindfullness and CBT. The commitment to never drink again is to slam the door on those thoughts that can make your mind start going around and around and drive you crazy with the obsession to control it. The option is taken right out of the equation. Much simpler and incredibly freeing!!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have not see much detail on SR about the Big Plan. Is there something someone could direct me to?
Just type this into the search box in google:
<site:soberrecovery.com big plan>.

That will take of your reading needs for a little while, I bet.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your average person can have a drink or not have a drink, it's not a big deal. Those of us with problems can generally either stop completely or drink ourselves to death. There is often no middle ground. That's why the phrase "and I will never change my mind" is important. Your AV will constantly try to change your mind but that's not the you part of you.

It can be baffling. If you had a survived Ebola or something of that nature you would never wish you have "just a little Ebola" again! No, you'd count yourself lucky for surviving at all and spend the rest of your days grateful for it.

AVRT can help extricate you from the prison of alcoholism. Walk out of your cell and drink no more.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pure AV

I've found the writings about AVRT to resonate well with me. The only higher power that I recognize is Antabuse, lol. (I stole that idea.)

Humor aside, I do have an issue with AVRT. I'm down with everything about AVRT except the phrase, "And I will never change my mind."

I first heard about AVRT in July of 2014. It helped me stay 100% alcohol free until sometime in October. Then I decided to allow myself a drink on a special occasion. Gradually, very gradually, I got back to drinking every day.

I'm back on Antabuse and I've been 100% alcohol free now for almost two weeks. I feel great and want to continue this way the rest of my life. So what do I tell myself, "I will never change my mind, again?" Or, "I hope I never change my mind?"

I just feel too weak to say I will never change my mind. I know I might.
Your AV changed your mind and YOU are letting the beast run riot!
Are you ready to make a BP?
Soon?

I made my BP with regard to alcohol
I will NEVER drink alcohol again and I will NEVER change my mind.

Why not re-read the online crash course?
Well done on 2 weeks
Old 01-27-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh but I felt an instant recognition when I saw the AV in your post!
AVRT is a dissassociative technique.
Learn to always say no to AV by making a big plan and learning The art of AVRT to stop drinking FOREVER
Old 01-27-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by CelticZebra View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh but I felt an instant recognition when I saw the AV in your post!
AVRT is a dissassociative technique.
Learn to always say no to AV by making a big plan and learning The art of AVRT to stop drinking FOREVER
I did not think you were harsh. Thanks for your posts.

Do you think it is my AV saying I am subject to temptation? I don't feel that, for me, it is realistic to say I'm 100% certain that I'm never going to change my mind.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, AV will say anything to get what it wants. The certainty of the big plan is foolproof. I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. It's not hard if I mean it, the more I say it, the stronger it becomes, like a mantra or a little sing song. Any thinking that is against the BP is AV AVRT teaches a person to recognise those thoughts WITHOUT acting on them.
So simple.
Not easy.
Keep on the path
Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We all of us are subject to temptation, but so what? AVRT says 'temptation shmemptation', it's all a pile of hooey. We can be tempted by the thought of drinking (AV by definition) but it really doesn't matter a single bit. That's what the AV does after all, and that's all it does.

Not drinking doesn't hurt us or others, it doesn't make us sick or sad or depressed or anxious. That's what drinking does. Not drinking gives us the ability to have the good stuff. And we have the power to choose the good stuff, every time.

There is no situation that can make us drink, ever, not if we say no.