Notices

Not having fun

Old 01-25-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not having fun

I've been over 3 years sober and everything is perfect....kind of....I'm getting bored ...at parties ..at resturants ...at home...I know I need to do more..need some insight or ideas ...how do I enjoy myself more when I go out? I've been just walking out of where I am...then come back for a bit...then leave again and get cranky
Old 01-25-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome District6 - congrats on 3 years

I dunno about you but all my ideas of fun were tied up in the bottle - until I realised that. and then found new ways to have fun (and new people to be with) I was like the guy looking in the window at everyone else having a great time.

What other changes have you made to your life?

D
Old 01-25-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

Maybe you're at the stage of life when people start to take up things like knitting? I mean I don't know how old you are lol but you probably know thinfs you once enjoyed you just grow out of sometimes, I mean it's pretty rare you see anyone over 50 partying, and I've never seen a pensioner at a night club so I mean things change.
How old are you?
Although I suposse knitting could be an option, I make a different cake every week.
I also enjoy going to charity shops to find s bargain, or some old junk...
I mean are you looking for ideas to make life more fun?
Go and watch stuff at the theatre, or cinema, I go on my own it's nice...
........well done on 3 years though
Old 01-25-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Three years I great! I get it. I've got 27 months and get pretty board. Winter is worse. Everybody I know are big drinkers accept the wife so the social life is limited. I've been doing some home improvement projects on my place and some friends houses to satisfy some of the boredom. Spending more time and volunteering to sit my young grandchildren when possible. Thinking about signing up in the spring to volunteer on some housing projects for the needy if I can work it around my employment. Also enjoy riding my bike so maybe I'll look into joining one of the old fart MC clubs in my area. Only thing holding me back from that is there are some drinking events tied in with that but I can just take the rides and go home. It's tough when every social event in your life used to revolve around alcohol. Probably doesn't help much but your not alone. Going out in my old environment with everybody lit is just a drag. Guess it's time to change environments.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With 3 yrs sober, seems you just need to find other, new things to do with your time? Being sober in the same places I got drunk in was the worst experience I could imagine. Surprised you have made it 3 years, good on you!

I moved on to sober activities, away from people who drank. It was the only way I could stop drinking. Not because of temptation from their choices, but because it was boring and not what I wanted to do with my time.

Explore a little bit outside of what you are doing, there is a great big, old, world out there, See what fits you better?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What Mikie9 said... find new activities, friends, etc. Join a gym and get in the best shape of your life, travel...

After a year of sobriety I rented my house, sold a couple vehicles, and moved to SE Asia. The world is your oyster!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on your 3 years sober
Old 01-26-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by District6 View Post
I know I need to do more..need some insight or ideas ...how do I enjoy myself more when I go out? I've been just walking out of where I am...then come back for a bit...then leave again and get cranky

Congratulations on 3 years.

You may scoff at the idea however helping others that are in need is so satisfying and gives us a warm feeling of being grateful for what we take for granted.

It’s called volunteer work and a lot of it is needed.

BE WELL
Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

3 Years is fantastic!!

For me I needed to stop revolving my social life around the old activities, parties, bars etc, instead I had to develop new Sober activities, coffee, a game of chess with a friend, reading a book, going for walks,

For me "going out" was always linked to alcohol, but I needed to realise it's always going to be different now in Sobriety!!

Hang in there!!