An update

Old 01-24-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An update

I posted here several weeks ago regarding having to end things with my alcoholic boyfriend, and was quite distraught. I want to thank everyone who took time to offer support and encouragement.

I also wanted to update everyone on something quite promising. After weeks of binge drinking after our breakup, my ex called to ask if we could talk. We spent the better part of a weekend really being honest with each other. I tried very hard to be supportive but not an enabler. I kept my emotional distance.

He came by my house one night and asked if I would keep him company because he was getting suicidal and wanted to get drunk. I told him he couldn't drink but that he was welcome to come by so he wouldn't be alone. He came over.

What followed I could have never foreseen, not in a thousand years. He asked me to drive him to rehab.

He did the typical pre-rehab drinking binge, I picked him up, and off we went. I was shocked that when we arrived and he was evaluated that he was initially turned away. Apparently he was over the lethal dose and had to get medically cleared by a physicIan before they would admit him. He began to beg and cry to the staff to help him, even grabbing a pen and threaten to stab himself to be Baker acted. They sent him away.

He became discouraged. He begged me to just take him home, to which i refused. I drove to the hospital and told him he could call for a ride when we got there if he liked, but that's where I was driving to. After some frustration and stern encouragement, he was cleared by a doctor.

The whole way back to the rehab center he begged me to take him to my house and let him detox there. I refused.

When we arrived at the rehab, his mood seemed to change. I think he started to see hope. He's there now, and will be for the next week. I've never missed him so much, but I've also never been so hopeful. I don't know what got him to that point, but I'm overjoyed that he arrived at it on his own.

I cried all the way home.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, how very strong of you!! I'm so glad you didn't fall for the let me detox at your house. I fell for it too many times to count. Bravo!!! You did great!!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dojang View Post
Wow, how very strong of you!! I'm so glad you didn't fall for the let me detox at your house. I fell for it too many times to count. Bravo!!! You did great!!
Thank you. I love this man very much, so believe me when i tell you that it was amongst the hardest things I've ever had to do.

I realized though, sometimes love means saying no.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You handled this so well. I wish I had been that strong when I was faced with the same situation. I really hope it works out for you. Al Anon works wonders. If you haven't tried it, you might want to.