Notices

Support and experience.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Support and experience.

Hardly a newcomer to recovery involving a prolonged period of both recovery and sobriety I thought I'd share some of those things I've learned perhaps seen as a little out of the ordinary but , I feel just as relevant to both mine and others recovery in real, practical terms,

1. Rely on yourself - taken from the original Buddha's ( the Enlightened One) edicts in which I include, the God of my understanding, who may not be yours or anyone else's, but is personal to me whether a He, She or It.See, 'Bill's Story' in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' for further explanation.

2. Anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned, a Buddhist saying which plays a constructive part in all our lives, including recovery, where it has particular relevance. So that in my case, I now look for credibility in all people , including myself and things whi8ch is greatly opposed to the delusional life I lead in my drinking days.

In which I DO NOT include the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' with particular relevance to ,'The Doctor's Opinion', many people make the mistake of not reading this first, and the first 164 pages (4th Ed). Ensuring a full understanding of these, perhaps with the help of an A A sponsor or as I did, with available CD's e.g.' Joe and Charlie and the 12 Steps' some of which are available at A A meetings,'Clancy', 'Jack Brennan' etc. or available via A A members themselves. With particular reference to Chapter 5,'How It Works' and the THOROUGHLY following the suggested 12 Step program of recovery. There must be no half measures, right!

I also place great store in Shido Bunan Zenji's verse, to metaphorically speaking,

'Die while alive,

Thoroughly die.

Then just do as you will,

and all is right.'

Which places emphasis on the ideas of attaching (to those people and things that are good for you and in a reciprocal way, you are good for them) 'doing as you will' and making spiritual progress (see the 12 Steps), and detaching, (in dying whilst alive) from those that aren't, drugs, alcohol, etc...this to be found in the appropriately titled for this thread,' Novice to Master - An Ongoing Lesson in the Extent of My Own Stupidity' by Soko Morinaga, which describes me perfectly to!

I hope these help...
Old 01-25-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice post!!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

As you are aware...

As you are aware, come the 15th Feb. I'm 7 years sober, not that it matters balanced against the fact that it's the quality of your sobriety that matters, but one the basis of us all sharing hope, strength and experience I hope this helps...