Notices

Relieved...but apprehensive

Old 08-10-2004, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marsea

Relieved...but apprehensive

I have taken a big step in admitting that I have a problem.

I have decided that I want to stop drinking because of how it's complicating my life. Obviously, it isn't that easy.

It seems like a lot of people go to meetings and have sponsors. That is really scary to me. But, when I've tried to stop drinking on my own I've failed miserably.

Does anyone have any advice? I could use a little...

Marcy
Old 08-10-2004, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome to SoberRecovery Marcy!
No need to rush here...
Attending an AA meeting as a newcomer can be a little frightening for some.
There are no other requirements to be a member of AA but the desire to stop drinking.
You won't be expected to say anything if you don't wish.
Others will probably offer a phone number for you to call them if you need support.
AA is but one alternative, as far as recovery programs go.
I'm glad you're here, and I hope you post more.
Others are coming to say hello.
Again, welcome
Old 08-10-2004, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

MarcyInc
Welcome to Sober Recovery, my name's Talia and I'm an alcoholic. Realizing you have a problem with alcohol is a huge step. I've never had any success in escaping the grips of alcohol, on my own. I would get 30 days, once I had 60 days on my own then would slip. Since then, I have gotten a sponser and worked the 12 sreps of AA and haven't had a craving for alcohol in 37 days. The program has made a world of difference to me. To me, the key is working the steps, just attending the meetings wasn't enough. Sure it was scary in the beginning, the unknown always is. After a few meetings, the fear left and I was left with a roomful of wonderful, caring people. Good luck in your sober journey.

Take care,

Talia
Old 08-10-2004, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Marcy.....welcome to SoberRecovery, so happy you found us. Best teachers around, you've just met two of them, and more will come.

I've tried repeatedly by myself and it doesn't work, in my stubborn way of thinking I really figured I could do it on my own. I've been told over and over again here you need support, and it's true, it's to hard to do alone. I quit going, BIG MISTAKE, real BIG, I figured once I got a few meetings in, got some sober time in, I was well on my way, well guess what it doesn't work that way.

Please look for help, and make it face to face, SR helps teach so much, but it's not enough, for me anyway.

First time I walked through an AA door I was so sick and hungover, scared half to death, but I went in, after sitting in the parking lot half hour early, my mistake was going in at the last second. Find some courage to go in, but go early, the people are friendly and want to help, they all understand, we are all the same.

Wishing you the best on your journey to sobriety, I hear it's an awesome thing FREEDOM of this bondage.

Love and hugs.......Denise
Old 08-10-2004, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mary,

Welcome and you've found a good place for support and understanding. Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. Hang around and keep posting.

Love, Anna
Old 08-10-2004, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Marcy
I'm Rowan, alcoholic, and I'm glad you're here. I echo what others have shared. For me, I couldn't get sober and stay sober without AA. Keep posting in here and let us get to know you. In time you'll make the decision that's right for you.
Keep coming back we need you here.
God Bless
Love Rowan
Old 08-10-2004, 07:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WELCOME MARCI GLAD TO MEET YOU.
IV'E HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL ALSO.
IT'S NOT SO MUCH OF A PROBLEM WHEN I DON'T DRINK.
I DO AA,I WAS VERY APREHENSIVE AT FIRST.
IV'E FOUND IT TO BE A MIRICLE FOR MANY.
GLAD YOUR HERE................ted
Old 08-10-2004, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Marci,
This is a wonderful place to be. I agree with the others that I couldn't do it without face to face meetings. This is just another one of the tools that we get when we decide we want to recover from our disease. Keep posting and let us know how we can help.
Sherry
Old 08-10-2004, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome Marci,
Many just like you and me couldn't do it alone. I found support, friendship, and the tools to stay sober in the fellowship of AA. You have nothing to loose by giving it a try.
http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html
Old 08-12-2004, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marsea

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a reply to my request for advice. I'm hanging in there so far. I appreciate all of your stories and advice.

It's not like this is the first time I've tried to stop drinking. In fact, last year I opened up to a few people and started going to a therapist. Most of my friends said "no way you don't have a problem. There's no reason you can't drink once in a while and have a good time." So I let myself indulge here and there and then fell back into my old pattern.

I'm really pretty good at disguising my habits. So, the problem is NO ONE besides me knows that I have such an intense craving. I haven't told my husband or friends about how I black-out and can't remember huge parts of a weekend.

Have any of you had a similar problem. A habit that you could hide but didn't want to anymore?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Marcylnc
I'm really pretty good at disguising my habits. So, the problem is NO ONE besides me knows that I have such an intense craving. I haven't told my husband or friends about how I black-out and can't remember huge parts of a weekend.

Have any of you had a similar problem. A habit that you could hide but didn't want to anymore?
I had a relatively easy time hiding my drinking for a long time. But, as I progressed deeper into alcohol abuse, it became evident to all, except me, that I had a serious problem. Big denial.
So for now, friends and family don't see the external signs of what may be happening, but you sure have an inkling that something is wrong. You kind of know something is up when you're missing chunks of time out of a weekend.
I waited until the last possible moment to admit to myself and the few family members that still had no clue that I had a problem.
And in retrospect, I could have saved everyone, including myself, a lot of grief had I not. It's said that we're only as sick as the secrets we keep.
I believe that to be true today.
Allow yourself to be the only voice that decides if you have a drinking problem or not. Your friends, the real ones and not so real ones, should have no say in such an important self examination.
Good luck to you.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Marcy. I am also an alcoholic. Fo a long time I drank alone, behind closed doors. No one else (besides my wife) even had a clue that there was a problem. I look and acted very normal to family and friends. So I can relate there. Eventually, if un-treated, others will find out about the drinking problem, often in very unpleasent and embarassing ways. Unortunatly, thats what happend to me. But the fear and embarresment alone are usually not enough for long term sobriety. We need a recovery program. AA has worked for me. Yes it was scary at first. But that goes away. You will learn that there are many others out there in AA who are just as scared, and suffer from the same problems. They will welcome you and want to help.