Notices

In need of support

Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down In need of support

Hi All,

I am new to soberrecovery and am on day 2 of sobriety (which is the longest I've gone in over a year)... I've struggled with alcoholism for about 12 years now and am desperate to stay sober. I work out regularly, have a great career, run a side business and volunteer in my community - all while drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a night... Tonight, I am restless, but know if I go out I will go for a drink or stop at the liquor store... I'm not sure what to do to get my mind off of it... help please!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome UTBP its really nice to meet you youl find loads of support here

Well done on day 2
Old 01-23-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey usedtobepretty (just reading your username makes my heart ache a little bit), I'm not the best person to give you advice but hang in there and others will be along soon. I'm so glad that you came here and posted instead of picking up Stay strong.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! I hope this site will be a great source of support
Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep staying stopped, you are worth it!!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm new to this (4+months). The first step is just to not drink and to do what it takes not to do that. For example, for me, I ate a lot--and I mean a lot--of ice-cream. That's a lot of sugar (something I used to pride myself on not eating) but of course all the wine I was drinking had a lot of sugar too.

Another thing that helps me is to shake up old routines. For example, if you often find yourself wanting to drink right after work, you might consider hitting the gym or a meeting or having a friend who supports you in your sobriety meet up with you and you can go for a walk or a movie.

It does get a bit easier, but be gentle with yourself. And if you feel like drinking, post on here first. I've done that a couple times and it has really helped.

Sending you support and positive thoughts.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know you'll find a lot of support here, just like I always do. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi usedtobepretty you've come to a good place.

Keep checking in and we will help you get through this

Well done on 2 days

More power to you!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Member

usedtobepretty (you are inside, I can tell already).

First things first, do you have any sweets or sugar in your home. Drink lots of tea and sugar. My cravings were brought on not by booze, but the lack of sugar. Wine has a lot of sugar in it and your body is probably craving it.

Second, please make a Doctors Appointment as soon as you can, for your own piece of mind. Stopping drinking causes serious physiological changes in your body as well as alcohol withdrawl, which depending from person to person can be quite dangerous.

Expert Medical Advice should be sought. You can change aspects of your life for the better, but there is some housekeeping you need to do, before you do so.

Were routing for you.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you have been drinking daily for over a year it's going to be really hard to stop abruptly without outside help or support. Seeing a Dr. to get some medication if you have anxiety and the shakes would be a good idea. Meeting with other people, face to face, like at an AA meeting would help also.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all! Reading your responses brought me to tears. This has been my "secret" for so long... I am (with all irony) a "functioning" alcoholic, but I'm not functioning at alll.. I'm just trying to get through the hangover, hoping no one smells the booze off me, and waiting until five o-clock hits so I can have that first drink.... It's scary having a clear head, and suddenly having all sorts of time with nothing to "occupy" me.... I think the suggestion of having sugar is a good one, my body is craving that energy wine usually gives me!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very scary, uncharted territory. And, it scared me back to drinking again, several times. The thing is there is really nothing to be afraid of. Once you take the first steps towards sobriety, things get easier in your life. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by usedtobepretty View Post
Hi All,

I am new to soberrecovery and am on day 2 of sobriety (which is the longest I've gone in over a year)... I've struggled with alcoholism for about 12 years now and am desperate to stay sober. I work out regularly, have a great career, run a side business and volunteer in my community - all while drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a night... Tonight, I am restless, but know if I go out I will go for a drink or stop at the liquor store... I'm not sure what to do to get my mind off of it... help please!
Welcome usedtobepretty! Our stories sound quite similar with over 12 years of abusing wine myself and being at the same pace as you. a daily small bottle of wine was my thing, but I usually bought the big bootle which meant I drank half and sometimes a glass more. I have a great job and life as well and functioned doing it all.The cost being it isn't healthy and it takes a toll. I was not being too nice to my family and was never present anymore at night. I sat and drank.
You can do it and the people here our great,!we will help you!
I am now 23 days sober and doing really well. Stay on this site a lot and keep posting and reading. It helps ! You can do this!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by usedtobepretty View Post
. This has been my "secret" for so long... I am (with all irony) a "functioning" alcoholic, but I'm not functioning at alll..
Wow, this resonated with me: it wasn't until I quit drinking that I realized I wasn't functioning as well as I thought. Also, as many here note, "functioning" isn't a type of alcoholic but a stage. So glad that you are making the move to sobriety now.

Take care!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lancashire View Post
usedtobepretty (you are inside, I can tell already).

First things first, do you have any sweets or sugar in your home. Drink lots of tea and sugar. My cravings were brought on not by booze, but the lack of sugar. Wine has a lot of sugar in it and your body is probably craving it.

Second, please make a Doctors Appointment as soon as you can, for your own piece of mind. Stopping drinking causes serious physiological changes in your body as well as alcohol withdrawl, which depending from person to person can be quite dangerous.

Expert Medical Advice should be sought. You can change aspects of your life for the better, but there is some housekeeping you need to do, before you do so.

Were routing for you.
Totally agree with lancashire, you will crave sugar!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I've been living in my pj's, got my cozy blankies and pillows and have been catching up on my movies/Netflix and books/Kindle. I constantly have water, tea, coffee, etc by me and tons of snacks, lots of good food in the kitchen too. So far, keeping myself distracted and my hands and mouth busy has made these early days go fast. I'm trying to pamper myself so my brain can't try and trick me into feeling bored/pissy/upset/sad.... And honestly, I've had my iPad open and SR up pretty much non stop. I don't write much but reading is turning out to be a godsend.
I'm sending you lots of good thoughts! You've gotten this far- that's great! Congratulations!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OK, I've stuffed myself with subway, including cookies and pop.... I couldn't consume another drop of anything, even if I wanted to, and the sugar from the pop seems to have done the trick to make my cravings subside.... The hours feel so long when you're sober eh?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh lord! Now I want a Sub!! Lol . Good job...keep taking good care of you! I think there may be a nice hot bath and a fluffy robe in my future soon?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

After awhile you will wonder how you had time to drink!!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tally809 View Post
Oh lord! Now I want a Sub!! Lol . Good job...keep taking good care of you! I think there may be a nice hot bath and a fluffy robe in my future soon?
I may beat you to it! I think a bath followed by a nice movie in bed may be just what the doctor ordered... I've always felt that I needed to keep "accomplishing" after my work day. Doing paperwork for my various volunteer obligations, training hard at the gym and then feeling so stressed that I can't turn the "you're still failing!" voice off in my head until I drown it in wine.... I've never really given myself permission to "succeed" at self-care... which may be part of what's perpetuating my alcoholism... hmmm... food for thought...