Notices

Addicted to Green Tea

Old 01-23-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Addicted to Green Tea

Hello, I am Lancashire and I am an Addict with a capital "A".

Since drinking alcohol is now a thing of the past, I have switched to drinking large amount of Green Tea. Up to 6 Cups per evening, various flavours and essences.

I wanted to find out if drinking too much Green Tea was bad for you, it turns out this addiction, unlike alcohol is actually beneficial.

Between its metabolism-boosting powers and ability to prevent colds, green tea is a miracle in your mug. While there are several reasons to sip it each day, many wonder if one glass alone can provide you with the acclaimed benefits. Before you go to town guzzling, learn if it’s possible to have too much of a good thing (the results may surprise you).

If you find yourself drinking a cup or two of green tea a day, you’re doing things right! Dr. Zuo Feng Zhang, a cancer epidemiology researcher at UCLA, and the University of Maryland Medical Center recommend two to three teacups (not mugs) a day, which will prove beneficial to your health.

However, drinking up to five cups a day has been shown to decrease risk for stomach cancer.

In fact, if you’re trying to lose weight and to boost your metabolism, the best results have been seen with drinking seven cups a day (this study, though, has not been tested directly on humans).

Additionally, many other medical studies have shown that the more green tea consumed daily the greater the benefits, with 10 cups being the upper limit.

If you are sensitive to caffeine, or suffer from insomnia, 10 cups of green tea is probably going to be too much for your system, regardless of the benefits.

There are a few negative consequences to drinking lots and lots of green tea. The tannins found in both green and black tea can decrease absorption of folic acid, an important vitamin that helps decrease birth defects.

If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, you should definitely limit your green tea consumption to two cups a day, or skip it altogether. Green tea can also interfere with the absorption of iron, too, so it’s recommended that you avoid drinking green tea with meals and just drink it between them.

How many cups of green tea do you drink a day?
Old 01-23-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Green tea is awesome i like either plain or lychee & mango that is my fave plus all the health benefits is good i dont drink it everyday tho PG tips has my heart in the morning

Cant wait till pk sees this thread he loves green tea lol
Old 01-23-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Green tea is awesome i like eith plain or lychee & mango that is my fave plus asll the health benefits

Cant wait till pk sees this thread he loves green tea lol
I am currently drinking Twinings Peach & Cherry Blossom Green Tea x 2 Mugs right now. For all of you Tea Geeks out there, just like me, lets skip to the good bit !

Ingredients
Green Tea, Natural Peach and Cherry Flavouring, with other natural flavourings.

Energy: 3KJ / 1KCAL (1 Calorie)
Protein : TRACE
Carbohydrate : 0.2g
FAT: TRACE
FIBRE TRACE
SODIUM : TRACE

No harmful addictives or preservatives, no toxins just a refreshing and relaxing drink for the evenings on these cold sober nights. PERFIK !!!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Peach & cherry what the hey lol i havnt had that one im definatly going to try that now

Thanks Lancashire !
Old 01-23-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! I didn't know all that about the green teas. Thank you for posting this- that's awesome!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lancashire View Post
If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, you should definitely limit your green tea consumption to two cups a day, or skip it altogether.
?[/B]
Wouldn't worry too much about that lol xx
Old 01-23-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Peach & cherry what the hey lol i havnt had that one im definatly going to try that now

Thanks Lancashire !
I'm on my second cup already. Very nice, although you do like the Mango and Lychee, thats very nice too.

The only one that is a no no is the mint. Perhaps its personal preference, but mint and green tea, doesnt work for me. It make me feel like I am going to pass out or something.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by JadedGirl View Post
Wouldn't worry too much about that lol xx
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Did someone mention Green Tea??!!!

One of my earlier purchases when I got Sober was a large teapot and a tea cosy, very rock n roll I know for a single guy, but I don't care . . . I discovered Green Tea and later started to mix things up with White Teas, which have an even higher antioxidant level, so I'm told, but they also are very tasty.

My default brew is Clipper Green Tea or some of the flavoured varieties by Twinning's, but currently in my cupboard I have some Silver Tips White Tea, and 2 varieties of Chinese Green Tea, Chun Mee and Yunnan Fop, there's soo many varieties that I try something new every few weeks!!

My sister lives in London and there is a cool Tea shop close to where she lives so when I go to visit or am in town I try to pick something up new to try.

Coffee is my drink of choice in the morning and at work, but when I come home, my habit used to be crack open a bottle, now this is my new habit to break out my tea leaves, my teapot with tea cosy and last but not least my tea leaf holder.

Anyone visiting Ireland, the kettle is always on in PK's house!!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Member

The SR Tea Party,

Lancashire, SoberWolf, Tally809, JadedGirl, PurpleKnight and Carlotta.

Everyone welcome.

Last edited by Lancashire; 01-23-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added new member
Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Count me in too. I go on green tea detoxes from time to time
Old 01-23-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't get me started on green tea, I live in China. If you don't drink at least a liter of strong green tea here (straight from the leaves, no flavoring) people think there is something wrong with you. I start with a strong coffee in the morning followed by around 5 mugs of green tea during the day. I absolutely swear by it as does everyone I know who drinks it. Longjin is my staple, pu'er in summer and jasmine when I am feeling down.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Count me in too. I go on green tea detoxes from time to time
Your in.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Don't get me started on green tea, I live in China. If you don't drink at least a liter of strong green tea here (straight from the leaves, no flavoring) people think there is something wrong with you. I start with a strong coffee in the morning followed by around 5 mugs of green tea during the day. I absolutely swear by it as does everyone I know who drinks it. Longjin is my staple, pu'er in summer and jasmine when I am feeling down.
I love Jasmine.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd research multiple resources for your information on green tea. One source is just one opinion....

It's better than alcohol!!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I drink lots of green tea. I really like republic of tea's raspberry goji berry.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

From experience you begin to feel the benefits pretty quickly. Maybe it's all the water and part placebo but I definitely feel better after even a few days drinking it.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
I drink lots of green tea. I really like republic of tea's raspberry goji berry.
Good choice.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love all things tea! Just have to drink decaf from noon on because I will never sleep with a lot of caffeine. Unfortunately not as many choices in flavors of decaf.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I'd research multiple resources for your information on green tea. One source is just one opinion....

It's better than alcohol!!
Your right of course. If you google "Drinking too much Green Tea", most of the side effects revolve around caffeine content, which can be as hight a 1/2 cup of coffee.