Notices

Is it normal to feel suicidal being sober?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it normal to feel suicidal being sober?

Last drank 12/31/14. Feel suicidal. Is this normal?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Call the hotline/911 immediately, please! 800-273-8255

If you personally are having these feelings reach out for help now. We cannot solve all our problems by ourselves.......WE ALL need help

Warm regards,
FlyN
Old 01-22-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html

No its not normal to feel suicidal im sorry you feel like this were here for you bud

Nice to meet you Mattea i have provided a good source of help please call somebody friend

keep talking on this thread while your calling bud

spk soon itl be ok
Old 01-22-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there!!! It will get better for you. Call a friend or family member and go grab a coffee with them
Old 01-22-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mattea! hang in there! We need you here! Please hang out and talk when you call...We're all here...
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not normal, sweetheart. Call the number provided above in FlyN's post or go to the ER right away.

Welcome to SR, MatteaRuth.

We are here for you.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. Depression and alcoholism are so tangled up I don't know what causes what.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please seek the help that you need.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

What's normal?

Many people drank or used because they were depressed. Quitting can make those feelings of hopelessness seem like they will never leave. That's a lie. But you need to take action to address this and the best course is to get some professional help. There is much the professional community can do. A whole host of treatment approaches are available, and if the first one does not work there are dozens more.

The thoughts may not be typical for someone who has just stopped, but they are not uncommon. There's lots of help out there, but you need to utilize it.

All the best to you.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's never normal to feel suicidal, even though for me it was more or less the norm during a lot of the last two years of my drinking. I was so used to it it's scary to remember now. I did not feel suicidal during the first few months of my sobriety at all, but around 5 month, when I was trying out an antidepressant... one reason I stopped. Then ~9 months I had a few days like that again that were not related to drugs, and which made me go to the ER. It totally disappeared from the day after that ER visit (not sure whether in response to the meds I was given to take short term, or spontaneously) and never returned since. In my case, this wasn't any ordinary form of depression, not the way I experienced depression earlier in my life, and I think it was situational, triggered by some experiences I was going through at the time.

I really recommend talking to someone about it, it's not good to be alone with those kinds of thoughts.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OP, please reach out and get help.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

MatteaRuth,welcome to SR.

If you feel suicidal please get some help,don't wait to see if you feel better,make a phone call now.

Let us know how you get on.

Wishing you well.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hope your good buddy, would be nice if you could send us a message to let us know your ok.

Call a friend or family or depending on where in the world you are you can call an orginisation.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's only been 3 weeks, if like me it took years of drinking to get you to this point, it's going to take a lot more time for the body to adjust physically/emotionally/mentally to not having alcohol, so there's going to be a transitional period.

However those thoughts are not to be messed around with if they get extreme so please get some additional help.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's not good but yeah, I've been through that. Twice actually.

Kinda reinforced the saying in AA about having a sober living problem not just an alcohol problem.

Reach out mate, just not drinking didn't solve much for me, the recovery program of AA was key.

I'm no longer sober and suicidal
Old 01-22-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I felt suicidal a lot at the end of my drinking career. I got professional help, I started seeing an addiction counselor and she really helped.

I realized after about six months sober I wasn't feeling as depressed as I had been. Took at least a year to get rid of the drinking depression but now the meds I'm on can work as they should now that I'm not drinking a depressant all the time.

You are still early in recovery. What kind of face to face support do you have? A friend or family member you can trust to talk to? Please call the hotline if you start feeling like you might act on a destructive impulse. You are worth saving and we are here to help.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Were all here for you bud i really agree with Least's advice
Old 01-22-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lots of people have had those feelings/thoughts before and the good new is they are transitory and will always pass.

Definitely seek help if they are persistent, plus keep leaning on here as your sobriety improves. It will get better so keep on pushing through x
Old 01-23-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was sober for over a decade and then went through a spell where I drank a bottle of wine per night for about a week, and 2 bottles on new years eve and then stopped. The detox shouldnt be that crazy for that "relapse"...
Old 01-23-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by MatteaRuth View Post
I was sober for over a decade and then went through a spell where I drank a bottle of wine per night for about a week, and 2 bottles on new years eve and then stopped. The detox shouldnt be that crazy for that "relapse"...
No, it shouldn't. I would think after a hangover January 1st there would be no other acute withdrawal symptoms after drinking for only a week.

I have to reiterate others' suggestion that you seek professional help. You started drinking again for some reason. Maybe it's related...

Take care of yourself.